Author Topic: ALMOST a 48 Hour Build...72 Hour Swiss Air Force Rafale c.2025  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Aeroplanedriver

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Started this one on Sunday afternoon for the One Week Build on the other site.  If I hadn't been lazy this morning I might actually have finished this one in 48 hours.  I go back to work in 4 weeks and by golly I am determined to enter something in the 48 Hour GB before I do! 

Anyhoo...Revell 1/48 Rafale M as a Swiss Air Force Rafale in the mid 2020s following a win in the Air 2030 project to find a replacement for the F-5E and eventually the F-18. 

This started with the intention of it being a Royal Navy Rafale, but as it progressed I wanted something a bit different.  I wanted to change the look up a little too and was pleasantly surprised to find that in Revell's kit the noses of the massive external fuel tanks are IDENTICAL in cross section to the kit radome, so I used one of those for a blunter radome.  I'm also building it as a gear-up inflight build on a stand, partly to facilitate the One Week build, and partly because the M model's gear is just plain UGLY. 

Final reveal tomorrow but I'll throw out how she looked around the 48 hour mark. 

« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 01:00:28 PM by Aeroplanedriver »

Offline Steve Blazo

• The man likes white plastic...weird.
    • flickr
Re: ALMOST a 48 Hour Build...Swiss Air Force Rafale c.2025
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 10:33:43 PM »
Good looking build, really like the colors.
As I walk through the valley of death,
I have no fear, because I am the meanest mother*ucker in the whole valley.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 02:34:31 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 07:00:38 AM »
Really nice scheme

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 07:03:26 AM »
The less-pointy radome does not detract at all from the appearance of the Rafael.  Actually gives it a great look, one that would also look right at home on the deck of an aircraft carrier. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Aeroplanedriver

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 10:42:11 AM »
Done in about 72 hours! 

In August 2020 Switzerland concluded a competition to select a replacement aircraft for its fleet of aging F-5Es.  As with the earlier cancelled replacement project the Dassault Rafale won the competition, this time competing against the Eurofighter Typhoon, SAAB Grippen, Boeing F-18E, and Lockheed F-35.  Unlke the earlier program the decision was made to proceed with the purchase of 36 Rafale S aircraft, as well as a new ground-based air defence system based on the Eurosam/Aster 30 system.  The Rafale S was a hybrid between the latest version of the Rafale C F4 and M aircraft.  To facility long term operations from improvised airstrips and roadways the S retained some of the strengthened structure and strengthened main landing gear of the M, as well as the arrestor hook, but without the need for catapult launches the C nosegear was utilized and all other maritime modifications were eliminated. the S was also configured to carry AIM-9X and AIM-120 AAMs to retain a common weapons store with the F-18 fleet.  Integration of the MBDA Meteor was also included though Meteor missiles were not ordered by Switzerland until 2027. 

The first Swiss Rafales were delivered in late 2023, entering front line service with the 11th Fighter Squadron at Bern in 2024.  The F-18s from the 11th Fighter Squadron were transferred to the 8th Fighter Squadron, a reserve unit operating F-5s.  Over the next two years the 17th Fighter Squadron and the Patrouille de Suisse also converted to F-5s allowing more F-5s to be retired and F-18s to transfer to reserve militia units.  A follow on order in 2029 for an additional 34 Rafales allowed the F-5E to be completely retired by its 2030 target date and for all F-18s to transfer to reserve units. 

This model shows a Rafale of the 11th Fighter Squadron in 2026 operating in the QRA role, carrying two AMRAAM and two AIM-9X AAMs as well as a centerline fuel tank.  Common for the QRA mission the centerline tank is painted high visibility red with the international aviation emergency frequency in large white letters to assist in interceptions of stray aircraft. 

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: ALMOST a 48 Hour Build...72 Hour Swiss Air Force Rafale c.2025
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 04:09:16 PM »
Sweet! 8) :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 02:26:36 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 09:39:50 AM »
That looks gorgeous!  :-* The red centreline "call me" tank is a neat addition. Also cool to see AIM-9s on the wingtips.

How can you build so fast? Do your glue and paint not need to dry?
And how can you build so fast AND so neat? It doesn't look rushed at all.

<...> I'm also building it as a gear-up inflight build on a stand, partly to facilitate the One Week build, and partly because the M model's gear is just plain UGLY.  <...>

You're soooo right!  :smiley: The comical front landing gear leg with it's big wheels makes it look like a toy. Like one of those big wheel tricycles.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"