Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 130033 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2020, 08:26:04 PM »
Here is the original JGSDF Type 82 before removing the raised top.

Here is the new chop top conversion.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2020, 01:53:45 AM »
That's a huge improvement to the profile!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2020, 12:36:36 AM »
That's a huge improvement to the profile!

I think it looks better with the raised part chopped off. Kind of reminds me of the Fennek now.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2020, 12:44:43 AM »
Got a little work done on the Live Resin SAG II turret.

The upper rail for the minigun was warped and no matter how many times I dipped in hot water to straighten it, it would warp right back the very next day so I took the upper rail off. Here is the revised minigun now. The device on top of the minigun is from the Live Resin Mk.47 grenade launcher. It is an AN/PVG-1 lightweight video sight fire control system.

Also adding a Live Resin figure. I used a different head though. The one used is yet another Live Resin part, HGU-56 helmet with maxillofacial shield. I cut the cigar from his fingers. It looks like he is adjusting the shield now.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 12:47:24 AM by Ramba »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2020, 09:49:59 AM »
Oh, yeah! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2020, 09:14:28 PM »
Not much done lately but got the upper and lower hulls together on the FUCHS. Testing out some antenna fitments to see if I like it. Here it is without the SAG II turret. Next post I will show how the SAG II fits. The lower right side mirror is missing because it was broken in three different places on the sprue and I didn't feel like trying to put it back together. The resin part behind the smoke dischargers is the attachment for a BFT from Live Resin.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 09:17:47 PM by Ramba »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2020, 11:06:57 PM »
Continuing with the FUCHS. Not a lot done though. Got the SAG II turret test fitted. The figure is slightly lower than it should be. I need to raise it a bit.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2020, 11:50:39 PM »
Looking good!
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2020, 06:16:33 PM »
 :smiley: :D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2020, 09:35:41 PM »
Thanks Jeffry and Wombat!

Slowly working on the Trumpeter JGSDF Type 82 Command Post. Got the suspension together.

Trumpeter has you cut out the sides of the hull to put the side hatches in.

Here are the side hatches in place. The top hatches are from the AFV Stryker upgrade set. The M151 RWS is also from AFV. I cut the side off of the RWS to try to fit a small anti tank missile tube launcher but didn't work they way I wanted. I refilled the area with putty. I just need to sand it down smooth.

I am also using the M240 from the AFV Stryker upgrade set.

These are the AFV sets I used.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2020, 11:59:49 PM »
Great progress! The two AFV Club sets are great - the M151 RWS is one of my favorites since all the leftover Stryker parts are useful in other builds.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2020, 08:03:35 AM »
JGSDF Type 82 CP conversion is coming along nicely  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2020, 12:11:58 PM »
The turret and RWS look great on their respective vehicles.  :smiley:
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2020, 02:23:37 PM »
Working out nicely. :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2020, 08:37:09 PM »
Thanks Frank, apophenia, Chernaya and buzz.

Here are closeups of the AFV parts from both sets. First two photos show the parts from the Stryker upgrade set and last photo shows the M151 RWS.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2020, 01:37:24 AM »
Overall views of the modified JGSDF Type 82 command post vehicle. I still need to add a lot more parts. The putty patch areas are from the holes Trumpeter say to drill out to fit the tools and other parts. They give a specific size drill bit for each hole but I used one size for all holes and some of the holes I made were too big so I had to fill them back in.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2020, 06:25:47 AM »
Moving along steadily! :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2020, 07:19:21 AM »
Really nice mods.

The one striking thing I have found with this side by side build, is that the source vehicles are all sort of formulaic in design. There is really nothing startling as far as layout goes just a bit of sameness. Clearly the layout works well in Real world.

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2020, 11:37:46 AM »
Reminds me bit of a 2:3 scale Fuchs

Offline Ramba

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2020, 09:33:28 PM »

Yes, moving along slowly but surely. Doing as much as I can on all three to get to the painting stage but unfortunately I can't paint them until spring/summer next year. I don't have an indoor paint area to use the airbrush so I have to paint outside. It is Autumn here now and the temperatures are getting cold already. Winter will be here shortly and so will the snow so all airbrushing has been put aside until the warmer temperatures come back in the spring and summer.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2020, 09:38:34 PM »
Really nice mods.

The one striking thing I have found with this side by side build, is that the source vehicles are all sort of formulaic in design. There is really nothing startling as far as layout goes just a bit of sameness. Clearly the layout works well in Real world.

They all seem similar especially the Chinese WZ551 and the German FUCHS. The Chinese WZ551 looks much closer to the French VAB though. My favorite being the Japanese Type 82 but with the raised upper hull cut down the way I modified mine.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2020, 09:40:34 PM »

Yes, moving along slowly but surely. Doing as much as I can on all three to get to the painting stage but unfortunately I can't paint them until spring/summer next year. I don't have an indoor paint area to use the airbrush so I have to paint outside. It is Autumn here now and the temperatures are getting cold already. Winter will be here shortly and so will the snow so all airbrushing has been put aside until the warmer temperatures come back in the spring and summer.

Now, that's a buggerance*! :(

(*: As my dear ol' Mum used to say.)

Offline Ramba

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2020, 09:43:15 PM »

Now, that's a buggerance*! :(

(*: As my dear ol' Mum used to say.)

Yes it sure is but I at least get to build them but up to the painting stage. I am still working on these three shown here but I do have another three or four ready for paint. Hoping next year I can get them all painted.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2020, 09:45:50 PM »
Reminds me bit of a 2:3 scale Fuchs

I think the Chinese WZ551 looks more closer to the FUCHS.

On my Type 82, I cut the raised upper hull off to level it off which To me, I think looks more closer to the Fennek.

Here is the original Type 82.

Here it is with the raised section cut off.

Here is a Fennek.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2020, 09:55:53 PM »
Here are a few size comparisons with a Tamiya M1025 HMMWV.

Type 82

WZ551

TPz Fuchs

All three together.