Author Topic: Real World Op Granby Tornado ZA466 - Done  (Read 5834 times)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Real World Op Granby Tornado ZA466 - Done
« on: August 04, 2020, 08:01:35 PM »
The backstory is that the Airfix 1/48 Panavia Tornado GR1 has been in my stash since.... well a looong time. Because lets face it, the kit does not look that good. I have done one before as a GR4 (before they released the kit of course, as usual) but that was based on the Heller kit which to all intents is the same.

Soooo.. cruising around for some inspiration this popped up somewhere

During Op Granby in the Gulf, Tornado ZA466 had a landing incident where the runway arrestor barrier at Tabuk was inadvertently raised and this aircraft hit it on landing. The crew punched out and the aircraft continued on a ways, did a toes, knees, nose and had a small fire, which the local emergency crews clearly got on top of quickly.
What is interesting is the the aircraft is relatively intact, well for a modern aviation incident anyway.
So I figured that I would have a crack at that scene. Once your have the rego details there are a number of pix of the aircraft out there in the interwebnets, so enough has been gathered to have a go.

So to work.. and yes the kit is still not good, with some rather agricultural engineering and fit.
Basic proof of concept and some hacking

Detailing out some of the sprung open doors. You cannot see much in there, so something relatively close will be good enough for this build. If you have shares in Tamiya Putty, you are in clover. This kit is a PSR nightmare so far.

Fit adjustment appliances applied to get bits that are supposed to be together, together.

I started this build log to keep myself honest.
Greg.. you are in the know.. what does the floor mount of a modern combat jet look like when the Ejector seat is not fitted ? My googlefoo has failed me on that one, so I am making stuff up.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 01:24:30 PM by buzzbomb »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Real World Op Granby Tornado ZA466
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 11:28:20 PM »
Probably the best COA to take with that Airfix Tornado kit.  May your hands be steady and your patience long as you set to your task. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 03:26:39 AM »
Looking forward to this.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 04:16:07 AM »

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 08:03:12 AM »
Looking forward to this.

Me too....

My attention,  you have it !

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 11:35:36 AM »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 09:29:55 AM »
No idea how, but this is moving along quite rapidly. Must the the awful weather and the draconian Lockdown we are in at the moment in the Peoples Undemocratic Republic of Victoriaistan.

Quite a bit of progress
Overall view

Some cockpit gubbins. I had no plan to make it 100% accurate, no buy $$$$$ of resin replacements. I am going for impression

More gubbins and stuff

Random piping in Wheel Wells. Since it will be immovable on the base, again impression is the point here.

Bizarrely this is almost ready for paint once a few more details bits are put on and the decal search, since I do not appear to have any 1/48 Gulf War Tornado decals in the stash.

thanks for your interest so far  :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 10:39:19 AM »
Wow - that's looking like the picture! I think the ejector guide rails/tube are a bit too big - in the picture, they look like they're about 1/3 the size of the instrument box facing the rear pilot, and about the same width as the canopy windshield frame. Unless this is the lower gray structure, in which case... never mind! Carry on!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 12:37:49 PM »
Nice work, BT! :smiley: :smiley: 8)

Hate to say it but, if Victorians could do the right thing & not spread COVID as rapidly & widely as they are, your government wouldn't be being forced into such heavy-handed measures.

Must be those anti-authoritarian convict genes. :P
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 03:28:55 PM »
Sadly the latest Australia Pandemic.. stupidity is rampant here. No vaccine or legislation can fix that.

The Government is unfortunately looking to be very culpable in the spread, through some questionable idealogical decisions. Thoughts and ramblings for other places though. ::)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 06:18:11 PM »
Sadly the latest Australia Pandemic.. stupidity is rampant here. No vaccine or legislation can fix that.

Ain't that a fact! [need head-banging emoji - but these'll do] :icon_cc: :icon_zombie:

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 07:06:28 PM »

Ain't that a fact! [need head-banging emoji - but these'll do] :icon_cc: :icon_zombie:

NT election is coming up and the ad from the new kids on the block Territory Alliance Party (i.e. the we quit the CLP just cos party) is telling us like it is, apparently its the Territory's current government who are to blame for the situation in Victoria because...... umm not really sure but I suspect they are aiming for the pissed off libertarian vote as well as the scared ignorant vote as it doesn't matter if it makes sense or not, so long as people can see you are outraged on their behalf.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2020, 01:35:16 AM »
Guys, leave the political rantings for elsewhere!

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2020, 01:26:57 PM »
Guys, leave the political rantings for elsewhere!

Yep sorry, the stupidity pandemic is doing my head in, I'll reign my comments in.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 01:28:57 PM by Volkodav »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 02:32:47 PM »
First up, apologies for the small rant. :-[ :-[

Secondly, I got distracted by something else shiny (Leopard AS1 Commission job), but back on the Tonka today.
In the paint shop after a few rounds of PSR.
I found the remainder of an old tin of Humbrol 250, which was the paint of choice back then for the Desert Storm Aircraft. Still mostly liquid and still works.
So overall Humbrol 250 as a base coat, then masked off and painted the cockpit and instrument bays. These will be further picked out a bit more.

Next up is finding some Op Granby Tonka decals, luckily this aircraft is pretty bare so may be able to cobble something together from other sources. it is mainly the Tail Rego that is problematic

Then prep the model for a bit of post shading, wear and tear and then decal work.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2020, 02:15:59 PM »
Pretty much nearly done
Some more detail painting but certainly getting there so onto the base

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2020, 03:28:07 PM »
Coming along nicely, BT! :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2020, 01:23:41 PM »
That will about do for this.

Base done and final painting done (until I find something else that annoys me) ;)

Offline Old Wombat

Re: Real World Op Granby Tornado ZA466 - Done
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2020, 01:31:46 PM »
For my money, that looks great, BT; almost an exact scale replica! :smiley: 8) :icon_alabanza:

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2020, 05:17:22 PM »
For my money, that looks great, BT; almost an exact scale replica! :smiley: 8) :icon_alabanza:

Agreed  excellent build  :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2020, 02:00:51 AM »
 :smiley: