Author Topic: LAV-150 Turret-TOW - FINISHED-ish  (Read 10855 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: LAV-150 Turret-TOW
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2020, 08:47:49 PM »
Thanks, LJ! Greatly appreciated! :icon_alabanza:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2020, 09:18:42 PM »
Camo looks great!  :smiley: Very tidy.

EDIT: Also thanks for the colour call-outs. Awlays helpful when deciding on what to paint own what-ifs.
It's amazing how well the Desert Yellow works on the NATO camouflage. Might be an idea for a NATO OPFOR scheme with a temporarily added "washable" (just blast it off with a pressure washer after the exeecise) sand colour to visually separate red from blue forces without resorting to vismods.

<...> I've decided on Ukraine (Do you know how hard it is not to write or say "The" in front of that? ???) <...>

Learned something today.  :smiley:
In Germany, it's still mostly referred to as the Ukraine (die Ukraine - die as in the, not as in perish!) and it feels odd to see or hear it used without "the".
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 09:38:52 PM by ChernayaAkula »
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2020, 10:13:28 PM »
Thanks, Moritz! :icon_alabanza:

After 50+ years of "The Ukraine" dropping the "The" isn't easy & I still use it more often than not - but I am trying (some would say "Very!"). ;)

Ukrainian "flag" markings painted on last night. Going to focus a bit on the weapons tonight; to get ready to put the turret sub-assemblies together. :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2020, 01:07:37 AM »
The colors look awesome! I love the overspray on the tires - I don't kn ow if that was intentional, but I'd keep it.

"The Ukraine" was in part a way for the Russians to belittle Ukraine - at least that's how a Ukrainian friend explained it. He would correct anyone who added "the". I wonder if Ukrainians have a low viz version of their national flag.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2020, 01:39:26 AM »
Thanks, Frank! :icon_alabanza:

The sprayed tyres are very intentional because it (imperfectly) breaks up the shape of the tyres & wheel hubs, so there is less unnaturally circular symmetry.

Having looked at quite a lot of images of Ukrainian vehicles over the last year or so (I have another Ukrainian build currently stalled - although I may pull in out for the next "Finish-It" build) not that I have seen, not on vehicles, anyway. I think their re-born independent national identity & ongoing conflicts with their former oppressor make it unlikely they will for the foreseeable future, either. However, they're not quite as bright as mine, but I expect weathering & fading effects to tone mine down a bit ... at least ... I hope!

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2020, 03:03:25 AM »
Is one able to get decals for modern Ukrainian markings:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2020, 03:36:56 AM »
I thought it was a Gaz Tigr M but that would be bizarre...  it's a Ukrainian KrAZ Spartan which is a licensed-built Canadian vehicle.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2020, 07:51:15 AM »
Coming along swimmingly

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2020, 10:22:46 AM »
Sorry, Greg, just a more viewable size.

I had noticed that the Small Coat of Arms was becoming more common on their vehicles as a stand-alone symbol but I've not seen the pink cross before.

Of course, a lot seems to be changing since they finally decided to move towards NATO membership (which I'd missed, so my backstory doesn't make quite as much sense). :-\

Still, most of the militias still seem to be using the flag, so I'll make it a reserve militia unit of some ilk. ::)

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2020, 03:27:59 AM »
since they finally decided to move towards NATO membership (which I'd missed, so my backstory doesn't make quite as much sense). :-\

Err, they have only been granted 'Enhanced Opportunities Partner' status which is the same as Australia, Finland, Georgia, Jordan, and Sweden.  This should not be confused with the prospect of NATO membership.  I think your basic backstory still prevails.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2020, 12:55:28 AM »
Cool! Thanks for that, Greg! :smiley:

Weirdly, that makes a diorama I'm (s-l-o-w-l-y) working on almost make sense, too, in a strange whiffy way. :D

Anyway, the LAV, et al., has received a gloss coat in preparation for washing & weathering type stuff.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2020, 08:56:18 PM »
Well, I'm at the finishing touches on the vehicle but the figures & base are a bit behind.

So, once I've got the LAV finished, I'll post pic's of that & leave the rest until I have time to finish them.

(I have a Cupboard of Doom build that has gotten itself moving, another Ukrainian AFV which will have almost real markings but a very whif setting - eventually.)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2020, 10:46:42 AM »
Photo's taken! :D

I'll upload them tonight, after I get home from work, when SWMBO isn't using my study computer for her work purposes. ::)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2020, 11:27:31 PM »
Photo's as promised ... Lots of them, in fact ... Maybe too many? ???

Anyway, here they are (broken into site-suitable bites):

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 11:30:44 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2020, 11:28:04 PM »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2020, 11:29:02 PM »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2020, 11:29:53 PM »

Looking at it now, I think I need to do a bit of dry brushing on the insides of the hatches to get some dimensionality but over all ... Not too shabby. :smiley:

Thanks for taking time to look, gents! :icon_alabanza:

:icon_beer:

Guy
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 11:32:40 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2020, 01:05:21 AM »
It came out great! Having the hatches open is a great idea - you can see the spare TOW and get a feel for the interior. The Punisher decal is good, too/

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2020, 01:08:14 AM »
Very cool! Came out great! I like the TOW turret.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2020, 02:07:16 AM »
That's well done all-around.  Looking forward to seeing it in the diorama setting at some point.

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2020, 02:51:29 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2020, 04:57:01 AM »
...Having the hatches open is a great idea ...

Yep, excellent call on the hatches. Looking good  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2020, 07:37:54 AM »
Guy, that came out excellent. It all just works, it is practical.

Great Job

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2020, 08:21:32 AM »
Thank you, gentlemen! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Despite a few hiccups along the way, this build ran smoothly & the result is very close to what I'd imagined.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
Re: LAV-150 Turret-TOW - FINISHED-ish
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2020, 06:12:53 PM »
That's looking awesome.