Author Topic: LAV-150 Turret-TOW - FINISHED-ish  (Read 10849 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
LAV-150 Turret-TOW - FINISHED-ish
« on: July 17, 2020, 09:04:10 PM »
OK, so I'm building a TOW armed LAV-150, where's the whif in that? ::)

Saudi TOW-armed LAV-150:

(From here: https://old.weaponsystems.net/weaponsystem/CC01%20-%20Commando.html)

Well, how about a turret-mounted TOW system for the LAV-150? ???

Using this product from Legend Productions;

(Courtesy of BNA Model World; https://www.bnamodelworld.com)

And a HobbyBoss LAV-150 which lost it's 90mm Cockerill turret to this:

I've been working on this, on-&-off, for about 6 months but it's finally reached that point where it's all coming together. Inside has been given its base coat of Puke Green (a.k.a. A.MIG-082 US APC Interior Green) & some internal detail painting has begun. Once I've got the interior sorted I'll chuck up some photo's before I close her up & start finalising the exterior.

Hopefully soon! ;)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 09:32:43 AM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
Re: LAV-150 Turret-TOW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 01:46:26 AM »
Why, yes, I am interested in following this. Sounds like an interesting conversion.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 03:14:54 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 07:33:50 AM »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 09:24:46 AM »
Thanks for the interest, gents! :icon_alabanza:

Pic's coming soon ... ish. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 02:39:43 AM »
Ohhh, I just got a V150, I want to put the M163 turret on it...I think perhaps Saudi Arabia fielded them (or tested at one point). Love the idea of a TOW launcher!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 09:13:35 AM »
Thanks, Gingie! :smiley:

Finalising the interior today/tonight. Pic's should be up tomorrow. ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 02:10:18 AM »
Pic's should be up tomorrow. ;)

Tease!

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 08:27:08 AM »

This is very cool!

Looking forward to your LAV-150 TOW.

I have the Legend TOW set as well. I am going to convert an Academy M1151 to an M1167. Watching your LAV build to see how well the Legend set goes together.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 11:48:43 AM »
Thanks, Ramba! :smiley:

Watching your LAV build to see how well the Legend set goes together.

So far, pretty well. A fair number of tiny connection points, though, & the instructions leave a bit more than reasonable to be desired.

The instructions lack detail on where parts attach to each other & it doesn't have decals or colour plates for painting , so a good set of reference photo's is recommended.

There are NO instructions relating to the interior boxes (battery &, I think, CPU) nor an odd little piece that I think is some kind in cover removal device & I've found next to nothing about them on line, so much of that, on mine, is guess work.

I, also, drilled out the front end of the launch tube because it needed it.

A set of decals would be really nice to have; there are quite a lot of markings on the tubes, beyond just the yellow & red-brown bands, &, with the placards & plates on the launcher, there are enough to make a decal set more than a mere luxury.

Oh, be careful when removing parts from the casting blocks! Legend have generously connected most parts to the blocks by the connecting pins & you'll have to carve them out of the joins to the casting blocks! :-\

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 11:50:51 AM »
Note to All:

The first reveal is going to be a bit delayed due to the effects of a 12 hour power outage on Sunday but, I hope, not too much. :o

Offline Ramba

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 07:57:04 PM »
Wombat, Thanks for the tips, greatly appreciated. I will certainly keep watch on your build progress for notes when I start my build. I am not too concerned about the interior that much as the doors will be closed on my M1167 so you won't see much of the interior anyway. As long as the exterior looks decent enough I am fine with that. Thanks again for the tips.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 02:06:48 AM »
The first reveal is going to be a bit delayed due to the effects of a 12 hour power outage on Sunday but, I hope, not too much. :o

Excuses, excuses...

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 09:21:41 AM »
Due to some ... ah ... over-enthusiastic? ... weathering of the interior, I've had to cover various bits in tape & liquid mask & respray some Interior Green over the insides. :-[

Once that dries & I get the gunk off I'll take some photo's & get them up. ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 09:31:21 AM »
OK, here we are as she is at this point in time;

Still needs a few touch-ups after the fix-up of my stuff-up but, considering very little of it will be very visible, it should be OK. I am, personally, a little disappointed because she looked really good until I let my weathering fetish take hold. :-\

The observant amongst you, & anyone who's built this kit, will notice that I've let my over-enthusiasm get me in another pickle - I fixed the wheels on & the top of the hull is best fitted by sliding it on from the front, now the wheels get in the way. Having build a few of these by now you'd think I'd know better! :o

A-anyway, once I've finished the touch-ups & hit the insides with some Dullcote, it'll be time to button her up & do the outside ... Hopefully I don't make a hash of that! ::)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2020, 11:05:03 AM »
The interior looks great! If I remember from my half built model, you can carefully snap the hull top on. The interior Details in this kit look under scale, especially the driver’s seat.
I noticed that you added the tow cable to the front winch before adding the top... unlike someone I know...

Offline Ramba

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2020, 09:10:13 PM »
The interior is coming out nicely!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2020, 10:31:16 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen! Greatly appreciated! :icon_alabanza:

If I remember from my half built model, you can carefully snap the hull top on.
The interior Details in this kit look under scale, especially the driver’s seat.
I noticed that you added the tow cable to the front winch before adding the top... unlike someone I know...

Yeah, you can, but it's a right pain compared to sliding it on. :icon_crap:
Yup, my guess is about 1/48 for the interior, but I figure that's an expected outcome of being unable to mould styrene to light armour scale thickness without losing all structural integrity.. ::)
Yes, well, we all learn from our mistakes. :-[

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2020, 10:54:28 PM »
Cool!  8)

When I read the thread title I thought you were going for an American analogue to the BRDM-2-based tank hunters with an elevatable mutli-round mount.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2020, 11:34:16 PM »
Cool!  8)

When I read the thread title I thought you were going for an American analogue to the BRDM-2-based tank hunters with an elevatable mutli-round mount.

Thanks, Moritz! :smiley:

Nah, even cheaper. ;D

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2020, 11:36:32 PM »
Camo will probably be MERDC-esque & external weathering will be appropriate to location & back story, both of which I'm trying to figure out.

I have what could be considered a "Tier 2" vehicle mounting an older ATGM (now with bunker-busting warheads available), a European-featured crew wearing either desert or temperate Bundeswehr combat uniforms, carrying H&K weapons (UMP-45's & 416's). Decisions! Decisions! :-\

Any suggestions? ???

For those who don't know:

Bundeswehr Desert pattern:

Bundeswehr Temperate (Summer?) pattern

(I'll be trialing some camo decals I have.)

UMP-45

H&K416

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2020, 05:29:47 PM »
Okey-Dokey, next update! :))

Camo scheme is done! I've decided on Ukraine (Do you know how hard it is not to write or say "The" in front of that? ???) as the user.

Basic premise being that renewed Russian aggression in the Donetsk & Kherson regions, in an attempt to further remove Ukraine from the increasingly militarised Crimea by creating a buffer zone of occupied states & establish better electrical & water supplies to the increasing number of military personnel in the region, forces NATO to intervene; not directly but, rather, by supplying Ukraine with weapons & munitions in a MAP style arrangement. Much of the equipment is refurbished older hardware, especially AFV's, with an effective service life extension.

Anyway, here are the photo's:

Still a few touch-ups, tweaks & weathering to go (exclusive of adding the turret & TOW).

I kinda like it, so far. ;)

Pursuant to the back story the paints used on the roughly Ukrainian-style camo are: Tamiya Desert Yellow XF-59, Tamiya NATO Green XF-67, Tamiya NATO Brown XF-68 & Tamiya NATO Black XF-69

Thanks for stopping by! :smiley:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 05:32:32 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2020, 07:43:30 PM »
Cool camo scheme! Came out great!

The UMP-45 is a good choice. Trumpeter has a set. I need to get them myself.

Live Resin makes the HK416 with suppressor. I have them and they are really nice. They only come with the magazines. You need to buy the scopes and other accessories separately though.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2020, 08:45:19 PM »
Looking good.  The camo is really well done.

We used similar vehicles with 7.62 pintle mounts as the main armament at a Navy secure storage site, guarded by Marines.  They were a blast to tear around base in during our drills and alerts.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2020, 08:46:47 PM »
The UMP-45 is a good choice. Trumpeter has a set. I need to get them myself.

Live Resin makes the HK416 with suppressor. I have them and they are really nice. They only come with the magazines. You need to buy the scopes and other accessories separately though.

Good call on both, Ramba! :smiley:

I'm using the Trumpeter UMP-45's (optical sights on both + 1 x fore-grip) & the 416's I'm using are LiveResin carbines & standard rifles (set LRE-35128), 2 x carbines & 1 x long rifle (carbines with optics & rifle with a scope, & a fore-grip on one of the carbines ... & I may put a bi-pod on the rifle).

And many thanks for the compliments! :icon_alabanza: