Author Topic: 1/35 Post Apoc figures  (Read 37832 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: 1/35 Post Apoc figures
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2020, 03:33:54 AM »
The shading on the uniform looks great - is that just a black wash?

Thanks! I used olive drab as the main color. I then lightened the olive drab with a 50/50 mix with white and brushed that on the edges/creases for the highlights. I gloss coated the figure then I used a dark dirt wash to weather it. I didn't wipe the wash, I just let it air dry for a couple days. After that I flat coated everything.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2020, 04:21:29 AM »
Got a couple more post apoc figures done. These are Tank 1/35 Russian soldiers. I cut the faces out and replaced with Live Resin PMG-2 gas masks. They could still be used as Russian soldiers but they will be set in a post apoc diorama.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2020, 05:31:48 AM »
*adopts-Sidorovich-voice* "Not bad. Some pretty good stuff you've got there."
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2020, 07:12:48 AM »
Really do love the way these come out.

I am going to track down some of that decal and try it out

Offline Ramba

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2020, 07:31:33 AM »
*adopts-Sidorovich-voice* "Not bad. Some pretty good stuff you've got there."

Thank you!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2020, 07:55:39 AM »
Really do love the way these come out.

I am going to track down some of that decal and try it out

Thank you! The brown camo are decals used for these two figures and were from FFSMC decals. I got them from Ebay. I think FFSMC is located in France. This is the Russian Flora camouflage pattern. I originally ordered the green camo but he mistakenly sent the brown instead. He did send the correct green though once I pointed out his mistake.

Here is a comparison of the green and brown Flora pattern from FFSMC.

This is the real Russian Flora green camouflage pattern.

Here is the green FFSMC FLORA camo decals on a couple Evolution Miniatures Russian tankmen figures I just finished this weekend.

Another comparison between the green and brown FLORA camo, this time on the figures.

When using these FFSMC decals you need to prime the figures white as the decals are very transparent. I also gloss coat the primer before using the decals. You also need to add a coat of liquid decal film on the decal sheet before using them. If you don't use the liquid decal film the colors will rub off easily especially on the edges/creases of the figures. The liquid decal film helps stop the colors from rubbing off. I also use Micro Sol to help the decals settle into the creases/folds of the figures. Once the decals are on and dried, I gloss coat them which also helps the colors from rubbing off.

I have used Cross Delta camouflage decals too and you will still need to put a coat of liquid decal film on the decal sheet before using. You will also still need to use Micro Sol for them to settle into the creases and folds of the figures.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2020, 09:21:09 AM »
Damn, they're awesome! I keep looking at my figures, then yours, & feel so inadequate! :icon_crap:

Still, I have something to aim for! :D :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2020, 10:33:22 AM »
The figures look great! The AKs came out nicely, too. Thanks for the FFSMC name - he has a ton of decals! His Russian camo decals are here

Offline Ramba

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2020, 08:26:38 PM »
Damn, they're awesome! I keep looking at my figures, then yours, & feel so inadequate! :icon_crap:

Still, I have something to aim for! :D :smiley:

Thank you! I can't paint camo uniforms so I use camo decals. I also can't paint eyes so I do figures with sun glasses or goggles that cover the eyes or I convert them to have gas masks. I do have a bunch of figures with the eyes showing and am not looking forward to doing them. I did two Russian tankmen figures over the weekend and the eyes came out horrible. I can't convert every figure to have gas masks so I have to practice painting eyes. It is a very daunting task.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2020, 08:44:31 PM »
The figures look great! The AKs came out nicely, too. Thanks for the FFSMC name - he has a ton of decals! His Russian camo decals are here

Thank you! The AK's are from the Dragon AK family part 1. I have had those Dragon AK's for a good 25 years or more and finally getting to use them.

I have the Russian Partizan and Flora camo pattern decals from FFSMC. The Russian patterns look good and he is the only source for Russian camo pattern decals. If you do get the FFSMC decals please make sure you read my notes on how to use them. I posted them previously a couple posts up.

Trumpeter has some camo decals in their Russian Special Operations Force figure set but they don't look right. The colors look too bright and the one multi color camo pattern looks wrong.
Here is the Trumpeter figure set with the Russian camo decals included.

Here are the three different camo decals from the Trumpeter figure set.

Some examples of what the real camo patterns/colors look like compared to the Trumpeter decals.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2020, 12:27:37 AM »
From the care instructions (and the fact that he offers white decals) I wonder if he's using an ALPS (or Oki or Kodak) dye sub printer. I have the same issues with my ALPS - I have to either coat the decals or be extremely careful with them when I place them on a model - then I overcoat them.

Trumpeter has good weapon sets, but their figures are still grossly sub par compared to everyone else. I agree - their decal colors look off.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2020, 12:49:26 AM »
Just flicked through FFSMC's products ..... I ended up with almost 15 patterns I was interested in, mostly wanting 2 or more sheets! :o
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2020, 01:17:04 AM »
From the care instructions (and the fact that he offers white decals) I wonder if he's using an ALPS (or Oki or Kodak) dye sub printer. I have the same issues with my ALPS - I have to either coat the decals or be extremely careful with them when I place them on a model - then I overcoat them.

Trumpeter has good weapon sets, but their figures are still grossly sub par compared to everyone else. I agree - their decal colors look off.

He might be using an ALPS printer. They do need careful handling when applying but not just the FFSMC, I also encountered the same problems with Cross Delta decals and those are not ALPS printed. The biggest problems are the edges of the figures. Here is a photo of the Russian tankmen I did over the weekend with the FFSMC decals. The figure on the left you can see the white edges where the colors rubbed off. The decals are printed on clear paper and the figure was primed with white so you are seeing the white primer through the decal where the colors rubbed off. You really need to get a good coat of liquid decal film over the decals before using them.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2020, 01:24:59 AM »
Just flicked through FFSMC's products ..... I ended up with almost 15 patterns I was interested in, mostly wanting 2 or more sheets! :o

He does make some interesting camo patterns. I have three of the Russian camo patterns from him, the green/brown FLORA pattern, the Partizan pattern and the green digital FLORA pattern. I wish he made more Russian camo patterns like the VSR and 3 color pattern. I did ask him if he planned to do any more Russian camo patterns but he said no.

This is the VSR pattern.

Here is the 3 color pattern I also posted earlier. Trumpeter makes decals for this pattern but is completely wrong.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2020, 12:54:00 AM »
Finished a couple more 1/35 figures. These were originally German WW2 but converted to post apoc. I still need to add weapons. The US Woodland and modern German Flecktarn camo are both from Trumpeter. The camo on the pants are actually old WW2 camo patterns from Print Scale Wehrmacht camo. I used Live Resin US M17 gas masks on both. The one in the woodland camo has a backpack and rolled sleeping bag from Tamiya. The other one has a resin backpack from Yufan.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2020, 11:26:44 AM »
Very nice! That Wehrmacht camo goes well with the Bundeswehr flecktarn  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2020, 12:51:30 PM »
Both of those figures look like they are straight out of DayZ :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2020, 07:56:52 PM »
 :smiley: :smiley: 8)

Offline Ramba

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2020, 01:03:00 AM »
Very nice! That Wehrmacht camo goes well with the Bundeswehr flecktarn  :smiley:

Thanks! The Trumpeter Flecktarn camo was a real PITA. It cracked and fell apart as soon as you slid it off the backing paper. I got it from a friend and he said it was really old. I applied some Microscale liquid decal film and the decals still fell apart. It took me over 12 hours over the course of three days to get that one figure done. The Print Scale Wehrmacht camo decals also started to crack and fall apart too but not as bad as the Trumpeter Flecktarn decals. The Trumpeter Woodland BDU camo is by far one of the nicest camo decals I have used.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2020, 01:04:43 AM »

I haven't heard of DayZ. Is it a movie? I will have to look it up.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2020, 02:38:59 AM »
I haven't heard of DayZ. Is it a movie? I will have to look it up.

DayZ is an FPS/TPS game that started out as a game mode for ARMA (Arma2-DayZ Mod) and subsequently morphed in to an actual stand-alone FPS/TPS game (DayZ Stand-Alone).  The original game mod was very loosely based on the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. FPS/TPS survival game

More information about the DayZ game mod for ARMA2 at Wikipedia

More information about the DayZ stand alone video game at Wikipedia
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2020, 07:32:11 AM »
@Ramba - Another figure that you might be interested in is this "post-apocalyptic" from MasterBox: 35213 - Desert Battle Series An old Raider - Vadim

@Ramba - Another figure that you might be interested in is this "post-apocalyptic" from MasterBox: 35213 - Desert Battle Series An old Raider - Vadim

Thanks for the link to the MasterBox Vadim figure. I had seen it for sale but they were only available from Ukraine. Hope to see them available soon in the USA, I will be getting one.
ScaleHobbyist has two of the series in stock and for sale
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 08:58:44 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2020, 07:39:23 AM »
Jeff - I was just going to mention that kit! I just ordered it from Scale Hobbyist.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2020, 08:53:07 AM »

Thanks for the link to the MasterBox Vadim figure. I had seen it for sale but they were only available from Ukraine. Hope to see them available soon in the USA, I will be getting one.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2020, 08:56:21 AM »
Jeff - I was just going to mention that kit! I just ordered it from Scale Hobbyist.

Thanks for the info that they are available on Scale Hobbyist. I hope to order it soon from them.