Author Topic: 1/35 Diorama Base  (Read 7254 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
1/35 Diorama Base
« on: September 04, 2019, 07:08:28 AM »
I started a couple more diorama bases. Can't remember who they are from. They are 1/35 scale.

First one is a block wall. It is only 55x55mm. I used various grey tones. I still need to finish the ground and weather everything. I didn't take many photos of this one. 

Next one is a brick wall with oil drum. This one is 65x65mm. Just like the one above, I still need to finish the ground and weather it. As you can see, I used two different reds for the bricks. For the rusty oil drum, I painted it with the rust paint then while still wet, I applied the rust pigments. I then used a black wash for the stains.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: 1/35 Diorama Base
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 07:48:12 AM »
Gee you got this down good, is excellent barrel and bricks.  :smiley:
Worked on reconditioning barrels for three years.  Seen ones like that, is accurate.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 08:24:31 AM »
Gee you got this down good, is excellent barrel and bricks.  :smiley:
Worked on reconditioning barrels for three years.  Seen ones like that, is accurate.

Thank you! The only thing I missed because I didn't know exactly how to replicate it was the rust flaking off. I have one more barrel for a different dio base that I will have to try to replicate that on. Someone told me to try using baking soda. I will have to look that up to see how that works.

I still have to weather the bricks and finish the ground and rubble. Not sure what color ground I want to do for the first one with the grey block wall. Might just do dirt as I already did a couple with sand so want to do something different.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 12:51:33 PM »
Nice! :smiley:

Is that a bio-hazard sign above the barrel? If not, it should be! :o

Simple sounds good for the first one; maybe some broken up bitumen on the road & dirt? ???
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 09:11:36 PM »
Nice! :smiley:

Is that a bio-hazard sign above the barrel? If not, it should be! :o

Simple sounds good for the first one; maybe some broken up bitumen on the road & dirt? ???

Thanks! I think the oil drum dio was shown as a WWII dio. I can't remember where I got the dio base from. I threw the box away when I first got it. That was many months ago. Mine will be post apocalyptic. I will have to find some bio hazard signs online and print one out. Unfortunately, my color printer died and I can only print in black.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 02:05:53 AM »
A faded black biohazard symbol would see appropriate on that barrel.  That's a beautiful diorama so far.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 03:04:59 PM »
A faded black biohazard symbol would see appropriate on that barrel.  That's a beautiful diorama so far.

Or faded & corroded above the barrel from the fumes. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 08:30:44 PM »

Or faded & corroded above the barrel from the fumes. ;)

Thanks! The sign is only 7mm x 6mm. It is very tiny. I will print something out and see what I can fit on it. At best I think maybe fit a 1/4 to 1/2 a sign.

I found these online that.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 09:57:14 PM »
As I said before, my color printer died on me and can only print black. Here is one of the biohazard signs scaled down and applied to the wall. I trimmed it to fit the broken sign. I just need to weather it now. I will weather it the same time I do the brick wall.

I haven't gotten much further on the dio base as I have been working on another 1/35 figure. I am using the Cross Delta MARPAT desert digital camo decal. This is where I am at the moment. I still have to apply the camo decals around the knee pads. The skin tone, head, vest, pouches, gloves and boots will get painted when I finish the decals.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 10:01:30 PM by Ramba »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 05:59:01 PM »
Cool! 8)

Offline Ramba

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 10:27:33 PM »
I started decaling another figure. Look at this pile of decal backing paper for just two 1/35 figures. I am not even done decaling them yet. I still need to finish the two arms shown and around the knee pads on both figures. Not sure where these two figures are going just yet. My plan is to have the one kneeling giving cover fire for the one running.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 09:34:53 AM »
Been two weeks since I last touched this dio base. Today I only managed to get the ground finished. Some small touch ups here and here to be done. I also still need to paint the window frame and weather the brick wall.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2019, 09:28:26 PM »

Offline Ramba

Offline Ramba

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2019, 12:55:54 AM »
Started painting the figures for the dio base. Not done yet, still need to paint a lot more on them.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2019, 09:48:57 AM »
Man, that really works! :D

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2019, 11:14:58 AM »

Yes it does - excellent  :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2019, 10:28:04 PM »

Yes it does - excellent  :smiley:

Thank you! Finished up some smaller detail painting just now. Need to clear coat it then will update with new photos. I still need to paint the weapons though.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2019, 01:13:16 AM »
Clear coat on to protect the paint. The camera flash makes the clear coat look glossier than it really is. The clear is actually semi gloss. The flash also highlights all my crappy hand painting hahahahahaha! Still need to weather the figures then flat coat them. For now, just dry fitting the weapons which as you can see still need painting and also still need to paint the window frame and weather the brick wall.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2019, 07:37:01 AM »
Doesn't look crappy to me, far from it. :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2019, 09:00:24 AM »
Doesn't look crappy to me, far from it. :smiley:

Thanks! Greatly appreciate your comments.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2019, 09:05:51 AM »
I just realized I forgot the air filter on one side of the gas mask so just added that. I also painted the flamethrower and attached it. I also attached the conduit for the gas feed line. It is a 1mm OD conduit that is stretchy. Black Dog included a resin feed line but it came snapped in the box so I just replaced it with the conduit. It is made for Tamiya racing RC cars.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2019, 10:02:39 AM »
Added a shark mouth to the flamethrower. Finally weathered the brick wall too. I just need to weather the figures and flat coat them.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2019, 07:30:20 PM »
That shark's mouth's a very cool touch! 8) ;D