Author Topic: Small Brown Dog Artwork and related  (Read 110664 times)

Offline Small brown dog

• Dwelling too long on the practicalities of such things can drive you mad.
  • Yappity woof grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Re: Small Brown Dog Artwork and related
« Reply #400 on: April 07, 2022, 05:44:23 PM »
The SBD Industries  J2 Zapper

A preserved early example of a hand held beam projection weapon as produced by SBD Industries UK, Earth. Amazingly these early BPW’s employed the use of a large vacuum tube to amplify the primary beam and initiate the plasma stream. The tube itself was manufactured from toughed glass and able to withstand substantial blows. However, the valve filaments were very susceptible to shock as they got very hot in use and over time became quite brittle.

The J2 unit, marketed as the Zapper, was a much improved version of the original J1 but still had issues with power surge and plasma burn through which meant It was classified as “field weapon only do not discharge in confined spaces” which could be a bit limiting when trying to clear your airlock of marauding space pirates or pesky reptilian vampires intent on snacking on you and your crew … or even worse in the mating season!

Its not that its not real but it could be that its not true.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #401 on: April 08, 2022, 01:53:16 AM »
 :smiley: ;D
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #402 on: April 08, 2022, 06:26:58 AM »
so 50's old school Schlock Sci Fi... I love it !

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #403 on: April 08, 2022, 08:43:42 AM »
Right out of Flash Gordon!!!!
Perfect!

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #404 on: April 08, 2022, 10:13:59 AM »
Love it!  :-*

So, for those "pesky reptilian vampires", crews will have to fall back on the old 'fourteen-pound lump hammer'?
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #405 on: April 08, 2022, 05:16:22 PM »
Love it!  :-*

So, for those "pesky reptilian vampires", crews will have to fall back on the old 'fourteen-pound lump hammer'?

Yes, and they are easy to swing in zero G.
The best ones are those cadet issues ones with the hollow handles where you can hide your stash ... ah college days :)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #406 on: April 09, 2022, 12:01:41 PM »
The best ones are those cadet issues ones with the hollow handles where you can hide your stash ... ah college days :)

For sure. Purely for medicinal purposes, of course. Which after splattering a few vampire reptiles, may be highly desirable  :o

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #407 on: April 14, 2022, 04:56:36 AM »
1912 Blackburn Monoplane Type D

My mojo is  still in the shop for repairs  - no idea if its coming out again so I am finishing stuff. 

I found an old Blackburn Aeroplane Company advertisement with a line drawing depicting their 1912 Type D monoplane. I though I would have a go at reproducing it and go for a colour version as well. Having made the bugger it seemed a bit of a waste of time slapping it into some grubby old monochrome mock advert.

I imagine most of you know that this machine is still flying and can be seen on a regular basis on those calmer days when the Shuttleworth collection puts on a show – well worth going and that’s a reminder to myself as its been far too long  since I have been.

Imagine being transported back to 1912 when there is hardly anything on the roads let alone in the air and there you are cutting through the ether at a blistering 50 - 60MPH with a big grin on your face.  I mean come on; aircraft couldn’t get any faster … could they?

That’s a Gnome Omega 7 cylinder rotary engine up front and is a slightly more powerful version of the original being of 1916 vintage. However the original engine is still available but I guess every bit of horsepower helps when a great many birds, large and small, are faster than you.

I wouldn’t want to be in charge of checking all that rigging as I bet its as much of a pain as it was to work out from photos where it all goes and I still managed screwed it up. Its wrong and I really should sort it out but I won’t tell anyone if you don’t ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #408 on: April 15, 2022, 01:25:25 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #409 on: April 15, 2022, 05:49:04 AM »
very nicely done. Exquisite detail

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #410 on: May 01, 2022, 05:30:17 PM »
very nicely done. Exquisite detail

Appreciate that  - thank you :)

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #411 on: May 06, 2022, 12:22:32 AM »
I have to ask - is this your full time job? Your work is clearly professional quality.

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #412 on: May 06, 2022, 06:12:57 PM »
I have to ask - is this your full time job? Your work is clearly professional quality.

Thanks for that :)
The 3D is purely a hobby thing but I have been pushing pixels since the late 80's so I have had a bit practice ;)

Offline Gingie

« Reply #413 on: May 07, 2022, 01:37:43 AM »
What would you say to someone who wants to get started in this type of illustration?

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #414 on: May 07, 2022, 03:54:31 AM »
What would you say to someone who wants to get started in this type of illustration?

Getting into 3D ?
Well, there are some that seem to fall into it, like the guy who picks up a guitar for the first time  and is ripping off Van Halen riffs and licks like a demon within weeks ... the guy you just want to throttle. However, most of us mortals  stand at the precipice looking down into a valley of frustration and bewilderment and make a mental note to hide all the sharp things before you have another go at it.

All joking aside it is a steep learning curve which can be made easier by the software package you go with. Like most software, you can trial for 30 days or so.  I settled on Modo as I found the interface and tools to be the most logical and a modelling hero of mine used it who also had tutorials and stuff that helped me initially.

There is an excellent free package called Blender but it was notorious for reducing hard men into sobbing schoolgirls  ... ok that was just me. Apparently it is easier to get to grips with now and if mastered is capable of great things. Some amazing artists use it. Tons and tons of tutorials and helpful forums for it as well. So if you wanted to dip a toe in the virtual water then this might be the way to go.

Those "getting started with..." videos are you friends as they quickly show you the common tools and shortcuts to them and simplify things by showing you on screen by using them for simple demos.

Once you have some idea of how to use the tools in your chosen package start modelling everything. Keep it simple and it doesn't matter if you don't finish any at first because you are learning with each session. Follow some simple beginner tutorials and then look for simple things to model like a Pill bottle or USB thumb drive and stuff like that and you will find as you gain experience that you can plan ahead how you will go about it and it will become easier each time. If you get stuck, hit the online tuts as you will find something to help. When you feel confident to have a go at a project that really turns you on, go for it. Again, you may not finish it for a variety of reasons but you will be further down the road. Believe me, 3D modellers have directories full of junk work in progress. Some you will go back to and make full in the future and you will see how far you have come.

Most of all have fun. It will be frustrating at times like I suppose anything that is quite involved is but it really is rewarding if the bug bites deep like it did me.

I have no idea if that answers your question or not but I'm happy to advise further if I can.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #415 on: May 07, 2022, 04:15:29 AM »
The Blackburn advert is brilliant.  :smiley:
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline apophenia

« Reply #416 on: May 07, 2022, 04:36:38 AM »
The Blackburn advert is brilliant.  :smiley:

It is!  :smiley:

... I have no idea if that answers your question or not but I'm happy to advise further if I can.

That was an excellent answer SBD.

I'm wondering if we should have a dedicated 3D artwork advice thread? I thinking of something akin to the '3D Printing Tips and Techniques' thread in the Tips, Tools & Techniques section.

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #417 on: May 07, 2022, 05:06:43 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback on the poster. I get a kick out of reproducing posters or making something like it of the period. This is a recreation of a well known 1940 poster:

Its as much photo bashing as it is 3D like a lot of my stuff. I use 3D to create assets for images I have in mind most of the time.

That was an excellent answer SBD.

I'm wondering if we should have a dedicated 3D artwork advice thread? I thinking of something akin to the '3D Printing Tips and Techniques' thread in the Tips, Tools & Techniques section.

My first reaction to that is that the end goal of producing a 3D model can differ in creation a great deal from software package to software package. Explaining how to do something in 3D Max is different in Modo and different again in Blender.

There are different modelling methodologies too suited to different styles or subject. Hard surface modelling like I do is great in Modo and similar packages. Organic and sculpting can be done but is best in more dedicated software such as Zbrush. There are native render engines or third party renderers all with their own quirks and ways of doing stuff. When you are starting out it can be difficult to transpose, so to speak, a tutorial in one package to that of one you are learning.  3D modellers get a bit fanboy about their software and huddle together a lot scowling at non believers.

One thing that is global though is that it will change the way you look at the world.
I was a prolific model maker as a kid, Airfix, Frog, Revel... I made tons and those kits and they got me closer to the real thing and started my love of vintage tech and engineering.

3d took that further and beyond and I started to look at real world materials, painted, natural metal etc and how light reacts and falls on them and so on and so on. Once you start texturing you will never look at a rusty surface again without wondering how you would go about recreating it :)

I guess there are global aspects that could be discussed though and I could use all the help I can get as there are great gaping holes in my knowledge that you could drive a Scammel tank transporter through.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 12:52:30 AM by Small brown dog »

Offline signal

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #418 on: May 08, 2022, 03:00:06 AM »
Not a lot of people know that the great great great Grandfather of R2D2 went to Earth and joined the RAF in around 1939/40. This is the only photo of it...

And, of course, the squeaky operation of that manual Armstrong Whitworth turret would ultimately evolve into R2D2's familiar form of communications.  Good on ya,  Gramps  :smiley:
That might be an Armstrong manufactured turret, but the aircraft in the photo
is an Avro Anson.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #419 on: May 08, 2022, 07:46:54 AM »
Love 'Fiebomb Fritz' and point taken on all the varieties of 3D software.

is an Avro Anson.

It is indeed - Anson Mk.I N4877 at IWM Duxford ... with AW38 turret fitted.

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #420 on: May 08, 2022, 04:09:34 PM »
is an Avro Anson.

It is indeed and as Apophenia mentioned, she resides at Duxford where I have taken many a photo of her over the years.

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #421 on: May 09, 2022, 12:41:00 AM »
Not a lot of people know that the great great great Grandfather of R2D2 went to Earth and joined the RAF in around 1939/40. This is the only photo of it...
But R2D2's great great great Grandfather also had a cousin who went to Earth.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 02:06:35 AM by perttime »

Offline apophenia

« Reply #422 on: May 09, 2022, 04:24:41 AM »
... she resides at Duxford where I have taken many a photo of her over the years.

With that shot given a particularly good sense of just how draughty the Armstrong-Whitworth turret would have been in flight!

Is that a Sunderland float at the top of your photo?

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #423 on: May 09, 2022, 04:44:05 AM »
Is that a Sunderland float at the top of your photo?

Yes it is and with a Lancaster hiding in the background, a Maggie trying to get away in the foreground whilst a Late Mosquito  lurks above the Lanc'. Meanwhile one of the early Concorde airframes is trying to take the limelight away from the TSR2.

For those not familiar with that Hanger at Duxford, there is also a Hastings, Vulcan, Comet, Canberra, Lightening, Wessex, Hunter, Swordfish, BE2, York, Oxford, Lysander Tornado, Spitfire and assorted engines and stuff ... thats a big hanger.

Then there are the original Belfast hangers with exhibits and on going restorations and the huge American air force museum beyond that. All on a preserved RAF base with a fantastic history including being the Home of 19 Squadron when they were the first to receive the Spitfire.

I love the place and try to get there a couple of times a year and have been for decades now.
I have tons of pix including what I call geek shots for modelling which I am happy to share.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 04:47:15 AM by Small brown dog »

Offline Gingie

« Reply #424 on: May 12, 2022, 12:02:07 AM »
SBD - thanks for the tips! I forget that Youtube is full of demos for everything!

I'm still not sure if I'm going to go the Fusion360 / 3D print, or, the more organic software you mentioned that is better suited for illustration.