Author Topic: What-If Weapons - Ground - WIP  (Read 11429 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: What-If Weapons - Ground - WIP
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2022, 08:38:26 PM »
280mm mortar? WOW! That's HUUUUUUUGE! They look good. Nice sniper weapons too.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2022, 12:06:58 AM »
Big BaddaBoom.

Just for general inspiration, here's the Soviet/Russian 240mm mortar.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2022, 07:35:20 AM »
More WIP images of the Amusing Hobby 280mm mortar Paper-Panzer what-if.  First image is the what-if mortar shell that I crafted earlier with fin span now reduced to actually fit in the mortar tube.  The mortar bomb body was also reduced in diameter through copious amounts of finger numbing sanding with the end result now also fitting inside the mortar tube. 

I realized that a mortar this large could not be sheltered from the element unless it was parked inside of large shed or garage.  So the need to fabricate a Tampion (Muzzle Plug) was in the works.  Second image showing the mortar tub with Tampion next to the muzzle.  Third image showing the mortar tube with the Tampion inserted.  "It fits like a glove" as some would say in describing this and it took more time finding the "right parts" to make the Tampion than it did in crafting it.  I am quite pleased with the simplicity of the thing and that it fits without issue made it a fun experience. 

I should also point out that a big thank you goes out to Steve Blazo for his technical assistance on the use of the small O-Rings that I picked up based on his help in sorting that little problem out on what to use for the propellant increments on my what-if mortar shell. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2022, 07:49:31 AM »
Continuing on with the Amusing Hobby 280mm mortar ammunition.  The mortar shell provided in the kit is a bit dodgy looking as far as what you would expect a mortar bomb to look like it checks off most of the boxes but it was bugging me a bit as it features the fuze on the nose of the bomb body that looks like a tiny little nipple sticking up from the nose and not like what you would expect an artillery shell fuze (mortar or cannon) to look like.  I could at this point just remove the offending little nub but then I would be fighting the urge to go further and drill out the nose for the fuze well that would be present if the fuze were removed or a filler plug that would have to be removed prior to inserting said fuze.  I opted for an alternative solution.  Hide the offending pip and leave it be. 

What could be used for this purpose?  Thankfully I have a box of odds and ends within reach that contains stuff that has not been donated or further categorized and put away so a quick inspection of these odds and ends netted some suitable candidates for the role of obscuring the odd little fuze on the mortar bomb.  Some return rollers from an unknown kit presented the best and quickest solution to the problem.  I assembled to of the things, one on top of the other, scraped away some parts that were standing proud from the back of each were the return roller would have mated up with an axle of some kind on the original vehicle and all of a sudden I had a protective collar to place over the nose end of the mortar bomb.  There was still a little space left for another single return roller to be placed behind the dodgy fin section of the mortar bomb to provide the needed protection at that end of the munition.  While the bare material looks a bit on the primitive side, it fulfills the function I envisioned for it and take care of that tiny fuze problem. 

One more thing to add.  I find it laughable that the Amusing Hobby box art for this kit depicts two gunners carrying one of these 280mm mortar shells in the box.  That mortar shell is more than two-man lift/two man carry.  More like four man lift/four man carry at a minimum. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 07:52:04 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Ramba

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2022, 09:54:02 PM »
Those mortar shells are coming along nicely.

This one looks good and I know you said they were what if but not sure why you made it human shaped HAHAHAHAHA!

This mortar is a cool design though.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2022, 11:52:29 PM »
The rest of the Magazine takes note of the firing sequence.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2022, 04:49:42 AM »
The rest of the Magazine takes note of the firing sequence.

There's always "that guy" no matter what HAHAHAHAHA!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2022, 09:33:22 AM »
That's the "practical joker" guy, who knows he's just put a 5 second delay primer on the base of the mortar. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2022, 01:04:56 PM »
That's the "practical joker" guy, who knows he's just put a 5 second delay primer on the base of the mortar. ;)
Probably the same guy that is responsible for all of the "trench-like" engraved details on certain model kits.   :icon_twisted: