Author Topic: M24 Chaffee  (Read 28095 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
M24 Chaffee
« on: January 23, 2012, 08:23:07 PM »
Now that there are three M24 Chaffee kits available with varying levels of accuracy and detail there might be a need to discuss ideas for this subject.  The family of vehicles based on the M24 (T24) Chaffee family of vehicles includes several motorized gun carriages, cargo carriers, high-speed tractors and a tracked recovery vehicle. 

(Click to view article at Wikipedia.  Image source D. Miller/Wikipedia)

On track link there is a model of an M24 Chaffee converted to the Norwegian NM-130 Armored Recovery Vehicle built by Kwan Lam (Unable to hot-link image due to Mr. Owen's reluctance to share bandwidth)

Links:

Wikipedia - M24 Chaffee
Search results for M24 Chaffee from Google

"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline tsrjoe

• Has been volunteered... for something...
Re: M24 Chaffee
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 09:09:23 PM »
T.24 trialled with German suspension unit

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 07:39:48 AM »
Beginning of Bridge at Remagen movie has great shots of M24s.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 08:52:04 AM »
The French put Chaffee turrets on 150 AMX hulls for use in Algeria.

http://www.chars-francais.net/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1255
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:39:17 PM »

The M24 turret was also mounted on the hull of the M38(T28) Wolfhound six-wheeled armored car,
to test the stability of the chassis while firing a 75mm gun. Due to the difference in turret ring diameter
an adaptor ring was bolted to the M38, and the M24 turret was bolted to the adaptor ring. The turret
was fixed in position.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:07:34 AM by jcf »
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 05:03:14 AM »
Maybe a couple of simple user changes:

• Australia
  • New Zealand
  • USSR

For something more substantial, maybe one converted to use early anti-tank missiles?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 09:51:33 AM »
There was also the experimental quad RCL armed variants (both 75mm & 105mm).

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Online ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 02:01:53 AM »
The French put Chaffee turrets on 150 AMX hulls for use in Algeria.

http://www.chars-francais.net/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1255

Okay, what to do with all the left-over AMX-13 turrets? Easy! Put them on the left-over Chaffee hulls!  ;D

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:33:53 AM by ChernayaAkula »
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 10:31:51 AM »
Maybe a couple of simple user changes:

• Australia
  • New Zealand
  • USSR

For something more substantial, maybe one converted to use early anti-tank missiles?

The Australian Army trialled an M24 at the end of WWII, along with an M4 Sherman.  They found the M24 was too light for use in Jungle and the M4 while suitable, offered no real advantage over the M3 Grant/Lees they were already operating.  Instead they opted for the Churchill, receiving 200 just post war.   

I've always wondered where the 200 went.  They seem to have been disposed off when the Centurions arrived, after having been placed almost immediately into storage when they arrived themselves.   Scrapping them would have been a monster of a job, cutting up six-inch thick armour isn't something most scrap yards could do then.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 10:53:25 AM »
Instead they opted for the Churchill, receiving 200 just post war.   

I've always wondered where the 200 went.  They seem to have been disposed off when the Centurions arrived

At least one ended up in the Nthn Territory .... "a turretless, armourless Churchill was being used to tow a 9 yard scraper" -- someone on a military site found bits in a NT scrapyard along with parts of Grants & Stuarts.

I wonder where the ones used by Iraq came from ?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 01:08:02 PM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 05:49:57 PM »
My understanding was that the post war structure of the RAAC was to have been 1 tank division of 3 tank brigades, each consisting of 5 tank regiments and a brigade support unit/regiment including mech/motorised infantry and self propelled artillery(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeramba).  The first brigade was to have been regular army and equipped with Centurions and the remaining two brigades were to be reserve (Citizen Military Forces) and equipped with Comets.  Needless to say it didn't happen and in fact came nowhere near. 

Assuming it did go ahead I imagine there would have been a case to make one of the tank regiments in each brigade a reconnaissance unit that logically could have been equipped with either armoured cars and/or light tanks.  It is very easy to imagine M-24s in this case.

Interestingly the RAAC also trialled single Sheridan in 1968.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 07:24:31 AM »
Okay, what to do with all the left-over AMX-13 turrets? Easy! Put them on the left-over Chaffee hulls!  ;D

Nice! Kitting-bashing parts swaps don't get any simpler than that  :)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 03:23:21 PM »
I'm thinking that the turret on the LVT is looking mighty fine !!!  Does anyone know anything about them ,at all ?  I'm thinking I'm hearing one calling my name already !!!
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 06:44:16 AM »
I'm thinking that the turret on the LVT is looking mighty fine !!!  Does anyone know anything about them ,at all ?  I'm thinking I'm hearing one calling my name already !!!

From what I can remember reading about them,they had trouble swimming due to the weight.  Best Value Models has a kit of it. They are out of France.

http://www.phpshopxml.com/azimut.shop/CID/b0134e5346545bbba335b24ea1adb958/function/itemSearchResultPageDisplay/shopSearchType/familySubFamilyCode/shopSearchData/BLI%7CBVM/shopItemSearchLimit/54
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 10:23:07 PM »
I think I saw a RVN M-113 with a Chaffee turret on it once.

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 10:59:20 AM »
I think I saw a RVN M-113 with a Chaffee turret on it once.

The ROC did do this. However they found they were too top heavy to swim and so abandoned the idea.

And someone has even made a model of one:

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 12:31:21 PM »
wonder why they had to raise the rear hull roofline?

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 02:10:59 PM »
I think you'll find they lowered the hull top under the turret.  The rear hull looks to be normal height, whereas the front looks lower - the hinge for the engine service hatch is closer to the hull top than normal.  I think the model is incorrect.  The engine exhaust in the rear hull top (the "heightened section"), which tends to indicate that is where the engine is.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2013, 03:14:55 PM »
How about an M24 armed with a 57mm/6 pounder instead of the 75mm?  While it might not be practical for fighting tanks larger than the M24 it might make an excellent infantry fire support vehicle where larger caliber 75mm high explosive could pose a possible danger to the supported troops.  Another benefit to the smaller caliber weapon would be an increase in ammunition carried on board the vehicle.  The subtle change in gun tube size would certainly catch some folks off guard :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2013, 03:39:32 PM »
M24 armed with a 57mm.  Nice :)
If kitbashing in 1/35.  Like to fit 25mm Bushmaster.  IR vision.  Reactive armor?  And?  A sorta Bradley.

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2013, 04:19:31 PM »
I think you'll find they lowered the hull top under the turret.  The rear hull looks to be normal height, whereas the front looks lower - the hinge for the engine service hatch is closer to the hull top than normal.  I think the model is incorrect.  The engine exhaust in the rear hull top (the "heightened section"), which tends to indicate that is where the engine is.

Interesting I wonder how they managed that with all the cooling arrangements under the engine cover

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2013, 05:04:39 AM »
How about an M24 armed with a 57mm/6 pounder instead of the 75mm?  While it might not be practical for fighting tanks larger than the M24 it might make an excellent infantry fire support vehicle where larger caliber 75mm high explosive could pose a possible danger to the supported troops.  Another benefit to the smaller caliber weapon would be an increase in ammunition carried on board the vehicle.  The subtle change in gun tube size would certainly catch some folks off guard :)

That and from what I have read,the 6 pounder had better armor penetration than the U.S. 75 mm cannons.
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2013, 07:48:49 AM »
How about a 57mm Molins gun armed Tank Destroyer?

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2013, 08:12:22 AM »

Interesting I wonder how they managed that with all the cooling arrangements under the engine cover

I'd say they were all relocated when the engine was moved.  I suspect the engine was moved to improve weight distribution.  The M24 turret would pay hell with it, if it wasn't moved.