Author Topic: Claymore's AH AFVs: Take 2  (Read 137559 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Claymore's AH AFVs: Take 2
« Reply #350 on: February 03, 2022, 08:49:34 PM »
Nice work! Great idea! Good to see you back, mate! 8) :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #351 on: February 03, 2022, 10:22:58 PM »
Thanks mate.  I am due to finish my time here in the US and return home to Scotland at the beginning of July.  From then on, I retire and am looking forward to building as many AH models as Mrs Claymore will allow!   :smiley: ;)
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #352 on: February 03, 2022, 10:44:59 PM »
Enjoy your wind-down & retirement! :smiley:

Hopefully Mrs Claymore is more  ... accommodating ... than Mrs Wombat is to model building. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #353 on: February 04, 2022, 12:29:12 AM »
The Truge came out great! The FT-17 is a very whiffable tank.

Retirement is great, especially if you plan ahead!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #354 on: February 04, 2022, 01:20:32 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #355 on: February 04, 2022, 05:27:53 AM »
Subtle tweak that looks awesome.

Great work. And enjoy retirement. I can tell you though, that since I retired in late 2019, my first two years have been less fulfilling than expected. Damn you COVID. ;)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #356 on: February 04, 2022, 07:42:58 AM »
How to pick a favourite amongst all that brilliant awesomeness? Well, okay ... your T-34-CMP gets an awesomeness+ mark  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #357 on: February 04, 2022, 07:57:35 AM »
It was christened the M1939, but was quickly given the moniker of Truge (snowshoe). The model is adapted from the excellent Meng FT-17 kit and some plastic card and tubing.

That's a tight backstory and a really nice build.

I forgot to ask and maybe I missed the explanation but why do you stop at the primer stage?   

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #358 on: February 04, 2022, 10:29:09 PM »
Story: First line of the text. ;)

Norwegian Truge:

This is about as far as I can take the Truge while living in the US without access to my painting sticks and airbrush. Here is the backstory and the latest WIP pics:

Offline Story

« Reply #359 on: February 04, 2022, 11:29:12 PM »
Story: First line of the text. ;)

Norwegian Truge:

This is about as far as I can take the Truge while living in the US without access to my painting sticks and airbrush. Here is the backstory and the latest WIP pics:

I was engrossed in the photos.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #360 on: February 11, 2022, 07:56:27 AM »
Thanks one and all for the great feedback, I am, as always, humbled by your comments and encouragement.  :smiley:

My tour out in the US has been great (COVID aside) but I must admit that I am really looking forward to getting home and putting the uniform away for good.  There be models needin’ a paint job and a Ratte that needs to be completed!      ;)

I can only imagine what a dampener the whole COVID thing has been across the world but hopefully we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Unless of course that light is an express train coming the opposite way!  :o

Offline Claymore

« Reply #361 on: February 12, 2022, 03:54:33 AM »
Canadian Wolverine Mk IIIa:

An extract of a TL on Alternatehistory.com by a chap with the handle 'Garrison' - Munich Shuffle: 1938-42

In the Autumn of 1940 once making peace was rejected Britain had little choice but to fight on alone. This was true in the technical sense that the British had been stripped of foreign allies, though some would question even that given the actions of the USA, but this was a very narrow definition of fighting alone and of what constituted an ally. There is a famous cartoon from 1940 by Kenneth Bird that has the caption, "So our poor little empire is alone in the world?" "Aye, we are - the whole five hundred million of us." The British Empire was not a foreign power but it was a massive source of strength in Britain’s war effort and without it Britain’s ability to take the fight to the Axis before the entry of the USA into the war would have been reduced or even eliminate altogether in some theatres of combat.​

When Neville Chamberlain launched his efforts to strengthen the British military at the end of 1938 his plans were not simply aimed at the British Army, Royal Navy, and RAF. The armed forces of the Imperial Dominions and India would also be subject to political persuasion and financial incentives to build up their military capacity. This was every bit as important as any of the new weapons or increased production of existing ones that flowed from British factories and dockyards under what in later decades was referred to as the ‘Chamberlain Mandate’. Some of these nations were more willing and able to follow Britain’s lead than others, but the contributions made by the ‘colonials’ was immense.​

Canada passed its own version of the Military Training Act in March 1939, with the major difference being that it encompassed men between 18 and 22 from the outset. This slightly broader range reflected both Canada’s smaller population and a desire to target young men who were without any gainful employment and there was a greater emphasis than in Britain on training men as mechanics and other supporting trades the army would need in wartime. This also had the bonus that it meant there would be less need to tap into skilled men already working in vital industries should it be necessary to mobilize for war. The Canadians took things even further than London had originally envisioned by seeking to build up their own production of armoured fighting vehicles. Several plans were discussed before the Canadians settled on producing their own version of the Valentine tank, chosen because it was intended to be simpler and cheaper to build than the Matilda II from the outset and the Canadian Army wanted an infantry support vehicle. This meant that in additions to modifications to the design to take account of the different engines and gear train available in Canada they also chose to produce a version fitted with a large calibre, short barrelled, howitzer style weapon, not dissimilar in purpose to the 75mm fitted to the early Panzer IV. The bureaucracy in London simply wanted to name this model as the Valentine Infantry Tank Mk III(Special). The Canadians were unhappy with this rather uninspiring name and successfully lobbied for their own alternative, the tank would enter service as the Wolverine Mk IIIa Infantry Tank.​

The model is complete as far as I can take it at this time. Final painting will be done when I get home later in the summer. Thanks to Garrison and cortz#9 for the ideas, initial diagrams and inspiration, the build has been great fun.  It is based on the excellent Tamiya Valentine Mk II/IV kit and the old Tamiya M8 HMC.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 06:04:26 AM by Claymore »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #362 on: February 12, 2022, 04:07:32 AM »
That is a very nice and practical lash-up of the 75mm howitzer with the Valentine turret.  Well done sir!  Well done! :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #363 on: February 12, 2022, 05:23:06 AM »
Nice work. Using older hulls in support roles is a life extension program.
Been doing a few myself in that space, very similar to your thoughts. I put the Petard from a Churchill AVRE on a Matilda for bunker busting work in the Pacific campaign in Australian Service.

Offline Story

« Reply #364 on: February 12, 2022, 06:42:13 AM »
Crisp.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #365 on: February 12, 2022, 07:55:10 AM »
That is a very nice and practical lash-up of the 75mm howitzer with the Valentine turret.  Well done sir!  Well done! :smiley:

Thanks.  This was a relatively simple and straight forward conversion but great fun - the Tamiya Valentine kit is beautiful and fits together like a dream. 

Offline Claymore

« Reply #366 on: February 12, 2022, 10:06:43 AM »
Nice work. Using older hulls in support roles is a life extension program.
Been doing a few myself in that space, very similar to your thoughts. I put the Petard from a Churchill AVRE on a Matilda for bunker busting work in the Pacific campaign in Australian Service.

Thank you. Sometimes the simple conversions are the most satisfying and reflect the most probably outcomes in reality. I look forward to seeing the results of your work.  :smiley:

Offline Claymore

« Reply #367 on: February 12, 2022, 10:07:28 AM »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #368 on: February 12, 2022, 10:27:19 PM »
Agree with all the above! A definite "could-a-been"! :smiley:

Offline Claymore

« Reply #369 on: February 13, 2022, 02:03:15 AM »
Agree with all the above! A definite "could-a-been"! :smiley:

Thank you good Sir!  :smiley:

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #370 on: February 13, 2022, 05:08:32 AM »
I want to call it 'Thumper' . . .   ;D

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline Claymore

« Reply #371 on: June 27, 2023, 05:23:11 AM »
OMG!  :o

I can't believe it has been over a year since I posted anything here and it is just coming up for a year since we returned to the Highlands of Scotland from our 3-year stint in deepest, darkest Missouri.

Well, it's time to make amends as I haven't entirely been shirking on my AH whiffing duties - I have been working though the backlog of models built while I was away finishing off their paint jobs.  Retirement is great but the never-ending list of 'very important' jobs dished out by C-in-C Home Command, has prevented me gutting the garage and setting up my new spray bay.  Consequently, all painting is currently restricted to the time-honoured hairy stick!

Anyhoo, standby for incoming data dump!!  ;)

Offline Claymore

« Reply #372 on: June 27, 2023, 05:26:58 AM »
Buzdygan Completion:

Thanks to horrorny over on alternativehistory.com for the initial design and inspiration. Sadly, there is no specific backstory other than the Buzdygan (Mace) being a medium tank in the service of an AH Poland sandwiched between a left-wing Germany and a right-wing Russia. The Buzdygan’s development reflects the carefully balanced approach Poland has to play in keeping both potential aggressors/allies at bay/on side and, consequently, and quite intentionally, displays elements of both Russian and German tank development but with a Polish twist. Fortuitously for Poland, the Buzdygan seems to have inherited the best of both and has turned out to be an effective and reliable mongrel...

The model is comprised of parts from a Tamiya KV-1B, an Academy Pz Kpfw IV, parts from the spares box and the ubiquitous plastic card. Given the lack of a detailed backstory, several changes were made mid-build before I settled on the final design - not ideal but such is life!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 06:11:57 AM by Claymore »

Offline Claymore

« Reply #373 on: June 27, 2023, 05:31:38 AM »
M41 DK-2 Completion:

In the late 1950s, Denmark took delivery of 53 M41 light tanks from the US representing some of Cadillac’s final production run of M41s. The Danes used them quite successfully in the armoured reconnaissance role, however, by the early-1980s it was obvious that the standard M41A3s were showing their age. Consequently, in 1984, Denmark decided to upgrade its M41 fleet in order to extend their lives and usefulness well into the 1990s and, possibly, until the end of the century. Two developmental avenues were considered, although both would see a fundamental overhaul of the base vehicles.

The M41 DK-1 would keep the 76mm main gun, albeit firing a new APFSDS-T round which would have a significant increase in armour penetration characteristics over the existing ammunition. The overall layout would not change but some 70 improvements would be carried out including the replacement of the original petrol engine with a more fuel-efficient US Cummins VTA-903T diesel developing 465 hp.

The M41 DK-2 represented a more comprehensive - and expensive - proposition, the most noticeable change being the removal of the existing 76mm turret in its entirety and replacing it with the turret from the US M2/3 Bradley. Given the Dane’s continued intent to use their M41s in the reconnaissance role, the Bradley turret would deliver a tried and tested weapon combination ideally suited to its scouting function. (Note: While very satisfied with the TOW missile, the Danes were less impressed by the 25mm Bushmaster, selecting the 30mm variant in its place.) The same Cumming VTA-903T diesel engine proposed for the DK-1 would be installed but its power output would be increased to 600hp requiring a slight change in the rear hull to accommodate the new air filtration, turbo chargers and exhaust systems.

Of note, both the DK-1 and DK-2 were to have side skirts similar to those fitted on the Leopard 1 MBT installed giving them a very unique and characteristic look.

Although more expensive, the Danes quickly selected the M41 DK-2 as the preferred upgrade candidate as it significantly outperformed the DK-1 in all aspects whilst also representing a future-proofed capability. All 53 vehicles were duly converted to the M41 DK-2 standard with final deliveries being made in 1988. The M41 DK-2 were allocated to the 5th Bn Jutland Dragoons (Divisional Recon to the Jutland Division) with 18 x M41 DK-2, 12 M113 and 9 x M125; 3rd Bn Guards Hussar Regiment (Zealand Command Recon) with 18 x M41 DK-2, 12 M113 and 9 x M125; and the Bornholm Dragoons (Bornholm Force) with 10 x M41 DK-2.

The model represents a vehicle from the 5th Bn Jutland Dragoons and is made from parts of an old Tamiya M41, A Tamiya M2 Bradley, an after-market 30mm Bushmaster, a Tamiya Leopard 1A5, plastic card and some home-make decals.

Interestingly, the M41 DK-2 was not to be the Dane’s final iteration of this venerable vehicle. On 25 November 1993 the formal decision was made to form the Danish International Brigade (DIB) - also sometimes known as the Danish Reaction Brigade. The brigade was formed with the staff and all subunits from the disbanded 2nd Zealand Brigade on 1 July 1994. The M41 DK-2 was selected as the preferred AFV for the armoured elements of the new brigade as this would complement both the rapid deployability of the new brigade and the recent decision to replace the M41 with the Leopard 1A5 in the Divisional/Command Recon role. In all, 50 M41 DK-2 would be assigned to the DIB, 30 in the Armoured Bn and 10 each in the 1st and 2nd Mech Infantry Bns. Whilst the M41 DK-2 proved effective within the Armoured Bn - providing effective AT and recon functions - its usefulness to the Mech Bns was less impressive where its inability to provide direct HE-support was more telling. At much the same time, both the US and Canadian Armies were pondering much the same issues in providing direct fire support to their own light mechanised forces following the cancelation of the M8 Armoured Gun System. What was being proposed was a lightweight, 105mm automated turret capable of being fitted to a wide series of wheeled and tracked IFVs. The Danes were immediately interested and bought into the development program. Unfortunately, the march of time waits for no man and so it was that by the time the 105mm Mobile Gun System (MGS) was ready for evaluation in 2004, the M41 DK-2s were already nearing the end of their usefulness. Indeed, the delay in providing effective fire support to the DIB had already seen Leopard 1A5s allocated to its Mech Bns. Nevertheless, the initial trial went ahead and 3 MGS turrets were shipped to Denmark and installed onto M41 DK-2 hulls. The trial was not particularly conclusive and highlighted continuing problems with the autoloader - something that would plague the MGS throughout its career. For the Danes, the writing was on the wall. They quietly pulled out of the MGS program, retired all their remaining M41s and replaced them with leopard 1A5s and eventually the Leopard 2A5.

The model (really just the turret) represents the 3rd vehicle from the Dane’s inconclusive 2004 MGS trial.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 06:18:01 AM by Claymore »

Offline Claymore

« Reply #374 on: June 27, 2023, 05:36:39 AM »
Gavin Armoured Reconnaissance/Airborne Fire Support Vehicle Completion:

The M551 Sheridan entered service with the United States Army in 1967. At the urging of General Creighton Abrams, the U.S. Commander, Military Assistance Command Vietnam, at the time, the M551 was rushed into combat service in South Vietnam in January 1969.

The Sheridan’s operational performance in Vietnam was problematic at best. It was armed with the technically advanced but troublesome M81/M81 Modified/M81E1 152mm gun/launcher, which fired both conventional ammunition and the MGM-51 Shillelagh guided anti-tank missile. In combat operations, firing the gun often adversely affected the delicate electronics, which were at the early stages of the transition to solid state devices, so the missile and its guidance system was omitted from vehicles deployed to South Vietnam.

The Sheridan had several advantages: it did not get stuck in the mud as often as the 52-ton M48 did, nor did it throw its tracks off as often. The light weight and high mobility proved their worth, and it was much appreciated by the infantry who were desperate for direct-fire support. The gun proved an effective anti-personnel weapon when used with either the M657 HE shell or the M625 canister round, which used thousands of fleshettes as projectiles.

However, the M81E1 was not ideal in medium- and long-range tank engagements as its low velocity produced extended flight times and made it difficult to lead moving targets. The gun also was criticized for having too much recoil for the vehicle weight, the second and even third road wheels coming clear off the ground when the main gun fired. Worse still was its paltry rate of fire. An average M48 crew could fire as many as seventeen 90mm shells during a "mad minute" (60 seconds with all guns firing-on command), the Sheridan was known to put out only two 152mm shells during the same time frame. To add insult to injury, only 20-25 rounds of 152mm ammunition could be carried.

In order to address these shortcomings, and to give its cavalry/reconnaissance units and their supported infantry more reach, a number of British FV433 105mm Abbot SPG turrets were procured in 1970 and rushed into theatre. Named after James M Gavin the Commanding General (CG) of the 82nd Airborne Division during World War II, this simple and expeditious conversion soon proved its worth. With a maximum range of 17.4 km the gun was able to elevate to 70 degrees and depress to -5 degrees, sufficient to engage enemy AFVs if necessary. Traverse and shell ramming were powered by electrical servo mechanisms, while elevation and cartridge ramming were by hand. Maximum rate of fire was 8-10 rounds per minute with 40 rounds carried in the vehicle.

The model depicts a vehicle attached to 3rd Squadron, 4th Cavalry Regiment in Vietnam circa 1971 and comprises the hull of the excellent Tamiya M551 Sheridan kit and a scratch-built turret built mostly out of plastic (styrene) sheet, a knitting needle and some plastic tubing.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 06:20:22 AM by Claymore »