Current and Finished Projects > Profiles and Pixels

Ysi_maniac's figures and personal weapons

<< < (7/7)

ysi_maniac:
If you merge a Carabine M1 and a Thompson, do you get a US MP44? ;D

apophenia:

--- Quote from: ysi_maniac on June 19, 2023, 08:45:22 AM ---If you merge a Carabine M1 and a Thompson, do you get a US MP44? ;D

--- End quote ---

Carlos, I like the look of your Thompson/M1 carbine hybrid. That said, the .30 Carbine and 7.92 kurz rounds have very different performances. In modern terms, the MP44 is an assault rifle, but the M1 more of a Personal Defence Weapon for non-infanteers.

With a weak cartridge like the carbine's, there isn't much muzzle climb. So, unlike the MP44, you really don't need to raise the buttstock to compensate. If for some other reason you just want that inline stock look, you'd need to raise both fore and rear sights.

Also, your weapon shows two cocking levers. You only need one. I'd just stick with the M1 operating slide handle - directly above the magazine - and ditch the Thompson's receiver-side cocking handle.

Still, a cool notion. I like the idea of a modernized M1 carbine  :smiley:

ysi_maniac:
Thanks for your expert explanation!

apophenia:
Hardly expert!  ;D

Based on your concept, I'm wondering about a more straightforward adaptation of the Thompson as an MP44 analogue. To get the extra power, you need a cartridge closer in size to the 7.92x33mm Kurz. I've knocked together some crude renderings of possibilities.

For comparison sake, I've put in the .30 Carbine and .45 ACP as well as the 7.92x33mm Kurz and 'full-sized' 30-06 Springfield.

The What-If cartridges (from left to right) are:

-- 7.62x33mm = .30 Carbine bullet in new case (either necked .45 ACP or much shortened 30-06)

- 11.43x33mm = .45 ACP bullet in a lengthened case (like .45 Long Colt but rimless)

-- 7.62x33mm = Shortened rifle bullet in new case (or much reduced 30-06 derived case)

-----------------

And, based on the above, I've knocked together my own version of an intermediate cartridge Thompson derivative:
 -- https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=351.msg209156#msg209156

ysi_maniac:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version