Author Topic: Jet Hellcat  (Read 5268 times)

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
Jet Hellcat
« on: May 21, 2015, 07:19:43 AM »
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on what I am working on.  Since I have a very limited stash (and even more limited stash-space), I usually decide my next build based on what partial aircraft is sitting forlornly in the stash needing to be kitbashed.  In this case, I had a 1/72 Hasegawa F6F-5 which had contributed it's engine and cowling to my SPU-1 Stingray and it's wings to my recent SK-1 Malt.  It was such a nice fuselage just sitting there... So I decided to replace the original engine with a much-smaller R-2600 from a B-25, supplemented by a jet in the tail.  The intake for the jet is directly under the R-2600 engine cowling, just ahead of the wing.  Having transplanted the wings to the SK-1, I looked in the stash for some wings that are not already dedicated to a future project... about the only things I had available were the upper wing from a Gladiator (definitely out!) and the wings from a Kingfisher.  I decided on the Kingfisher wings, which had two problems: 1. No landing gear.  I solved this problem using a dremel to cut out wheel wells and I'll make doors out of sheet styrene to cover the F6F gear.  2. The Kingfisher wings are too short for this Hellcat fuselage - I hope to address that somehow with high-lift devices and backstory. 

I have already installed the jet exhaust, which looks really good, I think.  I have also begun to craft the intake trunking and modified the B-25 cowling to keep the exhaust out of the jet intake.  The back story will involve the jet Hellcat being a backup to the Ryan FR-1.  If I had thought of it in time, I would have saved this for the WWIII GB, but I think I am too far along for that.  Even so, I may put it on hold to try to get another (different) entry into the Extended Service Life GB, if I can gather parts in time AND there is an extension.   

I will post WIP photos later tonight or tomorrow. Comments and suggestions welcome!

Chuck

Offline Acree

Re: Jet Hellcat
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 01:30:54 PM »
A couple of WIP photos to give you an idea what I'm talking about:

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 04:09:16 PM »
This build is more involved than it first appears.  Good job :)
Fireballs were retired in 1947 due to excess corrosion.  Jet Hellcat was needed.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 10:52:37 PM »
Nice project and good start, go on! :)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 12:07:26 AM »
I was expecting a pure jet Hellcat, something more like a Ta-183 "Hückebein" at the front with the tail as you've done it.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Acree

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 01:49:15 AM »
Yes, I probably should have said "Mixed-Power Hellcat."  I never really considered a pure jet. But it would have been a real challenge considering the size of the Hellcat's nose - it was really HUGE - about the same as a Thunderbolt! 

I think the Navy had good, logical reasons for going with mixed power before going pure jet (fuel consumption and unreliability of early jets being top of the list).   

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 02:35:27 AM »

I think the Navy had good, logical reasons for going with mixed power before going pure jet (fuel consumption and unreliability of early jets being top of the list).   

I think the slow spool up time of the early jets was also a key issue - especially for failed traps etc.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Acree

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 05:51:49 AM »

I think the slow spool up time of the early jets was also a key issue - especially for failed traps etc.

Absolutely!  I remember even in the 80s the (50s technology) T-37 had THIRTEEN SECONDS spool-up time.  I would have hated to try to land something like that on a carrier!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 09:41:46 PM »
This build is more involved than it first appears.  Good job :)
Fireballs were retired in 1947 due to excess corrosion.  Jet Hellcat was needed.

I couldn't agree more!

Looks like you found a gap that needs filling, Chuck!

You're off to a wizard start, too!

Brian da Basher

Offline Acree

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 03:05:21 AM »
Well, the more I worked on the Jet Hellcat, the less Hellcat it became!  So, to see the end result, see my new thread: Bellanca FE-1! See here: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=5654.0