Author Topic: Here are pics of my whif madness. Mark's Madness  (Read 51865 times)

Offline uarkram

• I have a razor-saw, and I'm not afraid to use it!
Here are pics of my whif madness. Mark's Madness
« on: January 29, 2015, 07:26:59 AM »
Just joined, so I'm the new guy, or FNG. Here are pics of some of my whifs.
Two German, and two American.
Mark.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 01:29:10 AM by uarkram »

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
Re: Newbie. Here are pics of my whif madness.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 08:33:25 AM »
Very interesting.  Welcome to the asylum. 

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 08:41:53 AM »
Hi Mark,

Glad you joined up.  Now I don't have to post links of your WIP from Missing-Lynx :)

"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 08:52:51 AM »
No FNG's here, unless you're talking about this;

;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline uarkram

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 09:26:09 AM »
How do I make the pics full sized, and not the small ones you have to click on to see the detail? Is it just me or does the computer hate me?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 09:38:55 AM »
Sorry, no idea, mate, I've always posted them full-sized - don't know how to do it any other way. :-\
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 11:52:20 AM »
How do I make the pics full sized, and not the small ones you have to click on to see the detail? Is it just me or does the computer hate me?
PM sent that hopefully explains and provides a solution to the problem. 

Some topics, including "how to" explanations and instructions on posting images can be found in this sub-forum: Forum Notices
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 05:27:55 PM »
Nice entry mate.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline uarkram

Re: Here are pics of my whif madness. Mark's Madness
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 01:54:48 AM »
O.K. I think I got posting pics figured out.
I changed the title of this thread, so instead of making a new one every time just look for the updates.
I posted this on M-L, so if you have seen it already you can go make a PB&J. :)

My next project after I finish my M33, General Hood (I will post pics of it so everyone is up to speed).
The next one will be a M65, Gen. McClellan. It will be kind of like a T42 (American), but with M48 parts instead of M47 ones.
These are pics of a spare turret on my T42 chassis. A whole lot of work, and parts will go into it. New track guards, tracks, drive train, engine deck, rear end, main gun, and commanders cupola to name a few. Base kit will be Tamiya's old M41 Walker Bulldog.

If I can get this to work right, I'll post the pics of the Hood.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 04:36:53 AM »
Welcome to BTS! You've got some totally off-the-charts talent, Mark!

Looks like one big, mean monster you've got in the works as well!

Will enjoy your next update on that one,
Brian da Basher

Offline uarkram

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 08:49:07 PM »
Here are some pics of my M33 General J.B. Hood turret. I'm not going to post all the pics, because of space limitations, but the ones to give you a general idea of what's going on.

This all started with me wondering what to do with DML's M103. I decided not to do all the corrections needed to make it accurate, but to 'whif' it instead. I took an old Linberg 1/32, M46 turret and cut it apart to make a larger one to fit the M103 chassis. The chassis will get a new nose, like the one on an M47. Thus reborn it will be the Hood.

Enjoy!
p.s. still having problems figuring out how to post full sized pics, but it's early, and I only had one cup of coffee, and I'm doing this before I have to go to work.

Offline uarkram

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 08:53:09 PM »
This is where I'm at now. I mocked it up on a M47 chassis just so you get the general idea.
Should be able to post new pics this weekend.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 04:17:59 AM »
What's the gun?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 05:35:10 AM »

Offline uarkram

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 06:55:48 AM »
It's a RBFG!  A 1/25 Centurion Mk. III barrel from Tamiya. I sanded down the counter weight at the end of the tube, then wrapped blue painters tape around it, then covered it with Squadron green putty, and sanded some more. The gun is huge, but it fits the turret.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 07:16:43 AM »
Interesting.  a 20pdr was 84mm.  Therefore a 1/25 20pdr barrel in 1/35 scales to 117.6mm.   Assuming some scaling errors (or fudge fact if you prefer…), this would allow you to potentially have it set as 120mm.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 09:47:34 AM »
I'd say IBFG! :-\

But that's OK, we're all used to a certain lack of connectivity with the Real World around here. ;)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »
The next one will be a M65, Gen. McClellan. It will be kind of like a T42 (American), but with M48 parts instead of M47 ones.
These are pics of a spare turret on my T42 chassis. A whole lot of work, and parts will go into it. New track guards, tracks, drive train, engine deck, rear end, main gun, and commanders cupola to name a few. Base kit will be Tamiya's old M41 Walker Bulldog.

That looks like a great combination of tank parts.  I like your idea of modifying the engine deck, the M41 never really looked complete with that small area covering the engine and transmission.  I hope to do something similar to an M41 along with some other improvements. 

Offline uarkram

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 08:53:02 PM »
I like the Tamiya M41's, it's a cool looking tank, and it's easy to convert. Plus I don't have to feel guilty about cutting it apart!
For the engine deck, I'm thinking lots of vents & grills, to give it that 50's look. I'll square off the back end, and put M48 rear grill doors on it. That's the plan anyway.
I'm not going to do much with the turret, just replace the M1 commanders cupola with a 'Urdan' style one, and replace the 90mm with a 105.
But that's putting the cart before the horse, 'cause I have to finish the Hood first. Speaking of which, I will post new pics of it today. It's 7:30 a.m. here on the east coast, and already have put in a hour and a half at the bench (this is my break time).

Came up with a new idea last night. A M88 with all the recovery gear stripped off, and converted to a assultgun/ tank-destroyer. I'm thinking maybe a 203mm barrel from a M110A2, just 'cause I have two of them in the pile. The name I came up with is M43 Crusher.
What do you think? Too over the top? Nah! ;D

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 10:55:10 PM »
Nothing adds to the intimidation factor more than a BFG!

I like the way you think! For some reason, I keep imagining this one in some of that colorful W.W. I style camo.

I blame the cold medicine.

Thanks for another fantastic update, Mark!

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2015, 04:08:59 AM »
Came up with a new idea last night. A M88 with all the recovery gear stripped off, and converted to a assultgun/ tank-destroyer.

I like your thinking! :)

Offline uarkram

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 10:19:01 AM »
Got some stuff done today, turret is mostly done, just have to add the .30 cal mount, and the grab handles. Added 1mm rod to the edge of the mantlet dust cover, and the gun collar. Replaced the old loaders periscope with one from Verlinden. The bore excavator received detail with styreen tube, cut thin.

The front plate was cut from the lower hull, and the replacement test fitted.
As usual I mocked it up to see any potential problems down the line.

Here ya go!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2015, 10:40:35 AM »
By the gpds, that's a beast.  It looks like it would have to deploy a rear spade when firing...

Offline uarkram

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2015, 09:51:26 PM »
If you think that's a beast, wait until you see the E-150 Imperial Tiger. The barrel is as long as the E-100 chassis! I started it in '08, but it got put away when I moved. But I think it's time to complete the old girl. It is next in line. I have been doing American stuff for two years now, so I think it's time for some Kraut metal.  ;)

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2015, 10:00:02 PM »
The muzzle brake is the cherry on top of that enormous piece of fire-power in my book!

Sure looks like it'd utterly destroy anything that even just looked at it funny!

Just killer!

Brian da Basher