Author Topic: USAF Martin RB-51E Panther Patricia Lynn - Vietnam  (Read 3979 times)

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
USAF Martin RB-51E Panther Patricia Lynn - Vietnam
« on: April 14, 2014, 11:57:23 PM »
As always, click on the image below to see the picture at 100% or view it at my DeviantArt page.

In 1963, the General Dynamics plant at Fort Worth, Texas was awarded a contract to modify two B-51Bs as all-weather reconnaissance aircraft. The forward nose section was modified to house a KA-1 36-inch forward oblique and a low panoramic KA-56 camera. Mounted inside the specially-configured bomb bay door was a KA-1 vertical camera, a K-477 split vertical day-night camera, an infrared scanner, and a KA-1 left oblique camera. The lengthened nose gave the aircraft -- redesignated RB-51E -- a distinctive appearance.

The RB-51E aircraft were assigned to a secret project known as Patricia Lynn that operated out of Tan Son Nhut airport in Saigon. The lead engineer of the project was given the option of naming the program, so he chose the name of his wife. Beginning in May of 1963, the Patricia Lynn unit flew nighttime reconnaissance missions to identify VC base camps, small arms factories, and storage and training areas. In December 1964 two more B-51Bs were modified to RB-51E specifications and sent to Vietnam. The United States began Operation Steel Tiger over the Panhandle and the DMZ on April 3, 1965, to locate and destroy enemy forces and materiel being moved southward at night into South Vietnam. On a typical mission, the RB-51E was accompanied by B-51B bombers and C-130 flare ships. After a strike, the Patricia Lynn aircraft would complete a bomb damage assessment reconnaissance run over the previous attacked target area.

A fifth aircraft was received in November 1965. These five aircraft formed Detachment 1 of the 460th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing (earlier 6250th Combat Support Group and earlier still 33rd Tactical Group). Two RB-51Es were lost in combat operations. The first (55-4243) was lost as a result of a fuselage fire caused by small arms while on a low level reconnaissance mission. The crew ejected safely when near Tan Son Nhut Air Base. The second aircraft (55-4264) was lost on Oct. 15, 1968, after an engine fire started by ground fire forced the crew to eject. A sixth Patricia Lynn aircraft (55-4251) joined the team in 1968, this one equipped with terrain-following radar. There were frequent changes and updating of the equipment, including the installation of 12-inch focal length KA-82 and 24-inch focal length KA-83 cameras. The infrared equipment was useful in spotting Viet Cong river traffic at night along the Mekong delta southeast of Saigon. In 1969/70, Patricia Lynn missions were flown into Laos and into Cambodia. The aircraft were withdrawn from combat operations in mid-1971.

Here's a closeup of the new nose on the Patricia Lynn B-51.  This profile actually had a LOT of work on it, more than just the nose.  The NMF was redone to make sure that it toned down, less blue, and more worn from service.  I had to redo the engine reflection, tail light & shading, wing tank lighting & shading, weathering, and much of the other paint and markings. 

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: USAF Martin RB-51E Panther Patricia Lynn - Vietnam
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 02:31:31 AM »
Oh yeah!!!! :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 06:50:36 AM »
Really nice. I like that a lot

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 07:48:40 AM »
Oh, in case anyone was wondering about the scale and shape of the nose, it's not exactly the same as the RB-57E, but it's obviously a modified version of it.  Because they're so proportionally different, there seem to be few parts that you can just take off a Canberra and slap on an XB-51.  The first thing I did in this case was scale it down to the right size. The problem was that it was it was just disproportionate, sticking out on the end of the nose like a small thimble stuck on the end of your thumb.  Since it looked so silly, I kept it the same length, but widened it to better fit the nose of the B-51B at the panel line.  I think it turned out alright and looks pretty natural on the platform, at least as much as it does on the B-57E.

Cheers,

Logan