Author Topic: GAZ-66V truck  (Read 5776 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
GAZ-66V truck
« on: January 21, 2014, 09:47:32 AM »
This is the Eastern Express GAZ-66V (airborne version). Not much whiffing involved;  I added the antenna, the searchlight on the roof and a scratchbuilt fire extinguisher in the interior. I used some of the Eduard PE set for the standard version of this kit.

The motto on the door "Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy" is Polish for "Not my circus, not my monkeys":

The yellow stripes on the fender and all the decals are home made. The figure is my standard, heavily modified/corrected Trumpeter PMC figure:

The real wheel is missing the central retaining bolt assembly. I found it when I stepped on it in my socks:

I cut the canvas roof from the cab and tried to make it closer to the real vehicle's top. I added straps from Tamiya tape and that helped a bit. The kit (and my build) is missing the braces that help fold the windshield down.

Like most Eastern Express kits, you can tell that the designers were really trying to make as accurate a kit as their molding machines would let them. For the most part, they succeeded. The instruction sheet was (like most EE kits) very vague, but parts are sort of in their right locations. The upcoming Trumpeter kit will probably make this kit obsolete (certainly in terms of details and parts count).

I had no real plans for this kit, other than I wanted to build it. It may get re-used at some point, so the weathering is relatively light and fairly easy to remove. Thanks for looking!

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
Re: GAZ-66V truck
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 10:51:18 AM »
You manage to make even the plain janes of the mechancial world interesting, Frank. I'm guessing the driver must have done one or two UN tours...( Love the motto-I will have to steal it for something. )

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 10:53:15 AM »
I like this simple sort of fair.. it just works and the mods definitely work

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 07:07:54 AM »
Thats purty  :-*   Love the dirty windows effect and the slogan - nice touches.

cheers
Brent

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 07:46:48 AM »
Thanks guys - This is basically a "spec" build. I had no plans for it, just wanted to put it together. I'll eventually find a use for it and it'll get modified.

Craig, it's funny that you picked up on the UN angle. I imagined a jaded driver with one too many UN tours under his belt (or tires).

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 08:26:02 AM »
Just outstanding !!!   Those kits tempted me but I couldn't decide which one to buy.
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 10:46:26 AM »
I just have to remember that slogan!

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 11:33:42 AM »
Very nice build of a great subject  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 11:45:01 AM »
Just outstanding !!!   Those kits tempted me but I couldn't decide which one to buy.

Ennis, I would skip the GAZ-66V kit (the one I built) and go with one of the hard-top cab versions. They're nice kits, but the Squadron prices are ridiculous - they're not $35 worth . I'd wait for one of their sales.

The slogan's great - my wife saw it on Twitter.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 11:59:52 AM »
You made a plain army truck into an interesting subject.  Can look it over multi-times and remains interesting.
Canvas cab cover is extra realistic  :)
Great lighting angle for photos.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 03:32:42 AM »
Frank you really have some enviable talent and skill!

The true greats can make the "simple" projects sing and you've certainly done yourself proud with this baby!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2022, 06:28:00 PM »
Not having seen this one before, Frank; I'm impressed! Very impressed! 8) :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2022, 10:02:22 PM »
Great job! I am hoping mine comes out as good as yours.