Current and Finished Projects > Profiles and Pixels

Apophenia's Offerings

<< < (614/661) > >>

Gingie:

--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on August 26, 2022, 02:16:23 AM ---Now where can I find myself an articulated arm in 1/35 or other?

--- End quote ---

Great suggestions for sourcing above. The imminent Leopard 2 ARV contains a single crane with a boom. Now, the Trumpeter LAV-R and Husky have articulated cranes, but the second section might have to be inverted to achieve that S-tank look.

The nice folks at Accurate Armour might sell you just the casting of the Warrior MRV crane.

Another option would be a segmented telescoping tube like the Danish ETS, and bonus, you can sculpt a textile boot around the sections! Easy-easy!

ChernayaAkula:
So much cool stuff lately.   8) The S-tank derivatives are pretty darn neat.

As for putting 122mm D-30s in M108, I recently had an idea for, well, the opposite: putting a 105mm howitzer into a 2S1 Gvozdika. A Ukrainian Abbott, so to speak. Ukraine seems quite happy with their L119s replacing/augmenting their D-30s, so switching the 2S1 to something NATO-compatible as well might make sense.
I guess the D-30/2S1 barrels are getting a good workout & will wear out sooner or later. Not sure who's producing barrels & willing to sell. 122mm ammo demand may also exceed production capabilities.

apophenia:
Moritz ... apologies for the late response.

I would think that swapping out worn D-30s for smaller NATO 105s would be quite feasible. I suspect that Ukrainian gunners are happy with their M119/L119s mostly because - unlike their old Soviet-era stuff - these 205 pieces are not worn-out .

Looking further out, the UK's L118s are due to be replaced by 2030. It seems to me that this and the need to replace old Soviet 122s represents an opportunity for NATO. Some have suggested replacing 105 field guns with mortars. The problem is that, like the 105s,  120 mm mortars are easily out-performed by the old D-30s (especially on maximum range). So, planners keep sliding towards more unwieldy 155s as 105 replacements. Maybe there's a better way?

ThinkDefence.uk said that the UK looked at 127 mm naval pieces as potential L118 replacement. And that does sound like a good match for the D-30. But, AFAIK, there has been no progress on adapting Excalibur or the OTO-Melara Vulcano for 127 mm rounds. And, besides, those naval rounds are huge - 127 x 835mm R for the Mark 45 'lightweight gun'!

I wonder if a possible answer might lie in another naval piece - the BAE 114 mm/55 Mark 8 Mod 1. This is a proven design which entered RN service in 2001. Once again, an issue is the size of its shells - 114 x 700 mm R vs 105 x 326 mm R for the L118. But what if the 'brass' was scaled-down to something more D-30 size? Say a 114 x 450 mm R round for field artillery and SPs? You could keep the Mark 8's 'base bleed' HE-ER option but, I suspect that a 'land 114' would out-range the 122 simply by virtue of its smaller shell.

apophenia:
I've started a Scenarios thread on more Challenger 2s for Ukraine:

-- https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=10638.msg204957#msg204957

The profile  (a retouch of Ryefield Model CR2 TES artwork) is attached below.

Sport25ing:
Yeah, your back  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version