Author Topic: Freightdog  (Read 28765 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Freightdog
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2020, 02:19:14 AM »
Imagingng a wiff on top of a wiff AEW version.....

Like this:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2020, 03:44:32 AM »
Colin owner of Freightdog seriously looked at making a conversion but it was deem too complex.

From Secret Projects Forum:

The project of an AEW version of the H.S. 125 was much earlier than 1988. It is mentioned and illustrated in the January 1983 issue of AIR INTERNATIONAL entitled "From Skyraider to Nimrod... Thirty Years of British AEW" by Mike Hirst, which clearly identifies it as a 1964 project.

In 1962 this British team looked at three AEW configurations — respectively with ventral, dorsal and forward-and-aft-scanner system (FASS) installations. In trade-off studies, the latter arrangement was assessed to show the best overall performance, although it was hardly the most elegant-looking solution. With these results in mind, the Blackburn design team of 1963 (by then a part of the Hawker Siddeley Group) proposed the P.139 project. With hindsight, this unlovely-looking aircrfaft can be viewed as a sensible proposition, but its bulbous proportions earned it disparaging nicknames, and its stability proved to be suspect in wind-tunnel tests. By 1964, the P.139 project had been shelved, and less-expensive designs, using existing airframes, were being considered.

One serious idea was the conversion of several examples of the HS.125 business jet, but its configuration meant that it had to use a fixed dorsal radome, like the out-dated Tracer, and it was unable to meet even the simplest endurance requirements. It too was shelved, having brought home one other very important technical truth, that the FASS radar had to be used, as proposed in the P.139. [...]

In February 1965 Britain cancelled all future aircraft carrier development, and this effectively killed all interest in shipborne AEW developments.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2020, 04:30:09 AM »
How about a carrier-capable version of the Raytheon U-125A with conformal arrays as used on various Israeli concepts?  Another U-125A variant could serve as an ASW/ASUW sensor aircraft.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2020, 04:58:45 AM »
I was wrong, the Matchbox HS.125-600 is the last straight-jet powered version,  The HS.125-700 replaced the pure jet engines with Garrett TFE731 turbofans (prototype registration was G-BFAN) and I suspect it could be modelled using the nacelles from a 1/72 Falcon 10 (ISTR that the use the same Grumman-built nacelles, also used on Skyfox).  I'm tempted to go ahead and do the fan conversion for an upgraded Sea Trader..

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2020, 01:14:03 AM »
And another HS.125 project.

Colin's words:

Another sneak preview of a 1/72 conversion under preparation.

In addition to the Naval Courier proposal for the HS.125, the brochure offers a Weapons Systems trainer. This is my interpretation, in service with the Fleet Air Arm from the late 60s onwards. Fitted with the elegant nose from the P.1154RN supersonic Harrier which was cancelled and replaced by the F-4K Phantom. Image shows the radar master, Both HS.125 sets are planned for release in November.

Should keep the IPMS What-If SIG happy!

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2020, 04:16:10 AM »
Be interesting to combine with the Naval Courier conversion.  Alternatively, combine with suitable under-wing pods to simulate attacking missiles or aircraft, much as the Japanese use their U-36A aircraft.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2020, 12:43:21 AM »
Freightdog Models

After several years out of production, I have now passed the masters for my 1/72 resin BAe EAP to Combat Kits. Casting is in progress so kit should be available again hopefully during November. More news to follow when everything is ready.

<<PB watermark due to hot linking>>

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2020, 05:44:05 PM »
I recall reading an article years ago by a British test pilot who rated the EAP so highly that he believed it should be productionised and enter RAF service.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2020, 02:12:51 AM »
**Broken Record Mode on**  I wish there was a 1/48 EAP Kit.  **Broken Record Mode off**

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2020, 12:45:52 AM »
Colin now has for sale the HS.125 COD and the Weapons Trainer.

Based on a 1965 Hawker Siddeley sales brochure proposing further military uses for the Dominie, this set allows you to build a Weapons System Trainer proposal, which at the time coincided with the development of the soon to be cancelled P.1154RN. Designed for use with the recently re-issued Airfix Vintage Classics HS.125 Dominie T.1 kit (not included), the set includes an new extended nose with P.1154RN nose cone, wing stores pylons for acquisition or training rounds (not included), along with new treaded wheels with accurate hub detail, and detailed engine pods to greatly improve the kit parts. Although we have chosen the aerodynamic nose section for an FAA weapons trainer, you could also build as an RAF version. Colour scheme suggestions are included however decals will need to be sourced separately.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 01:34:02 AM by The Big Gimper »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2021, 01:16:34 AM »
Post by Colin on his Facebook page.

With the imminent release of the new Airfix 1/72 DH Mosquito B.XVI kit, I am pleased to announce that Freightdog have six resin sets due for release very soon, with more to follow. Masters are finished, with thanks to Airfix for early access to test shots. Sets under preparation include conversions for the:
  • B.IX
  • PR.IX
  • PR.XVI
  • PR.32
  • PR.34
  • B.35
Images of test castings to follow soon.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2021, 04:36:34 AM »
Post by Colin on his Facebook page.

Coming soon from Freightdog, a new What-If resin conversion set, the original Hawk T.2 proposal from 1975, with extended tail pipe. Designed for the Revell 1/72 Hawk T.1a kit, the set includes a new extended tailpipe to reduce risk from heat seeking missiles, new center line stores pylon, four BAC Sabre Anti-Tank weapons (proposed Rapier development) with twin launch rails. More details to follow. Profile drawing by Jan Polc.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2021, 12:39:41 AM »
Dare I point out....wrong bloody scale!!!

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2021, 01:33:20 AM »
Dare I point out....wrong bloody scale!!!

You absolutely may Greg but as a 10 year old in a 61 year body, my response is:

"Thhhhhhpppppt! Thhhpppppt! Thhhhpppt!"

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2022, 03:38:40 AM »
Colin is preparing new products for release at Telford.

Masters for my What-If BAC Mustard Low Speed Research Vehicle in 1/72, a small single seat glider proposed to test the full size Mustard re-usable space shuttles low speed flying and handling qualities.
Hopefully cast in time for Scale Modelworld in November.

Another release planned for Telford in November, a 1/72 scale proposed Rolls Royce Eagle powered Hawker P.1027 Tempest conversion, to fit the Kovozavody Prostejov kit.
More details on this to follow nearer to Scale Modelworld.  This picture is of the original masters.

And ....

I have a few other new releases planned, including a brand-new range as a joint venture with Jon Davies and Dave Little (owner of Combat Kits).

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2022, 03:52:08 AM »
SPF Thread: Hawker P.1027 and P.1030

P.1027 technical data

Power plant: One Rolls-Royce Eagle 22, twenty-four cylinder ‘H’, liquid cooled engine, rated at 3,500 hp, driving a six-bladed contra-rotating airscrew with 12.8 ft of diameter, wingspan: 41 ft (12.5 m), length: 36.8 ft (11.2 m), height: 13.8 ft (4.2 m), wing surface: 302 sq. ft (28.1 sq. m), armament: four wing-mounted 20 mm Hispano Mk.V cannons.

Drawing by Justo Miranda.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2022, 01:31:37 AM »
What a pity they're the wrong scale...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2022, 01:35:15 AM »
Of course one interesting idea (if I were inclined to lower my standards ;)) would be to get 4 of the Eagle conversions and add them to something like a bomber for increased performance.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2022, 01:01:20 PM »
Of course one interesting idea (if I were inclined to lower my standards ;)) would be to get 4 of the Eagle conversions and add them to something like a bomber for increased performance.

And which bomber would that be, Greg?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2022, 01:17:45 AM »
No idea at this stage...

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2022, 08:52:28 PM »
That would be an answer for one of my builds. I've been planning a Twin Lancaster using three engines, the Eagle being one type considered. Part of my RAF Pacific bomber themes like my Avro Nottingham.