Author Topic: Royal Canadian Navy Seafire (Hybrid) Mk.45 -- FINISHED  (Read 12354 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Royal Canadian Navy Seafire (Hybrid) Mk.45 -- FINISHED
« on: December 31, 2012, 06:11:24 AM »
Not the one I was going to do but this is almost done.  With the couple more weeks added now, I can get the u/c, drop tank and RP's put on.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:02:47 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
Re: Royal Canadian Navy Seafire (Hybrid) Mk.45
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 06:13:54 AM »
Couple more pics

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 08:05:24 AM »
Great, kit!  Glad to see you back at the plastic again!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 01:26:24 AM »
Thanks Logan, a discussion on the What-If Forum about the origin of the Spiteful had got me thinking and I had come to a conclussion.  This project is the result of my thinking,  it's of something I've been wondering about.  What would a Spiteful look like with Spitfire wings  ---

well, here it is  ;)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 03:20:06 AM »
Very nice!!
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 03:21:36 AM »
Yeah, it's nice.  Well done.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 10:05:22 AM »
I'm going to give it a load-out like this below, the idea is that the RCAF Test & Proving Establishment carried on where Supermarine left off with drop tank testing.  They came up with a 150 Gal. tank which had some small fins on the end which help control the tendency of the tank 'tumbling' too close the the underside of the aircraft when released.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 10:24:30 AM »
Nice!  The stores really bring it all together.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 02:58:51 AM »
OK, I've finished it:

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 03:00:28 AM »
some more pics

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Royal Canadian Navy Seafire (Hybrid) Mk.45 -- FINISHED
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 03:44:21 AM »
Very impressive! 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 04:25:53 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 07:51:52 AM »
Purty :-* Like the yellow accents :)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 08:28:28 AM »
Wow a real head-turner all the way! From the very excellent camo scheme to the amazing load-out this baby is a stunner!

Brian da Basher

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 11:00:53 AM »
Looks great....for the life of me I couldn't figure out why the code letters on the bottom didn't match the ones on the fuselage.....then I realized I was reading the roundel as an O.... ;D
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 02:04:53 PM »
Purty :-* Like the yellow accents :)

Yes - yellow accents give it a pop to the eye.  Makes me look it all over and see rest of the build.  Has an extra "Seafirish" touch to it.  :)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
What a model!  :-* Really like the markings
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 10:14:07 PM »
Thanks a lot guys --- the markings come from a RCN Seafire Mk.XV sheet, two to be exact.  The Almark Seafire Mk.XV sheet and the On Target Seafires sheet.  They just happened to have an option for the RCN 1st Training Group on each sheet albeit with a different aircraft code letter, VG was the code for Canada (IIRC).  One scheme had the yellow wing tips but also a yellow band right around the engine cowling (about as wide as the exhaust stub bank), but I decided to paint the spinner yellow instead, (there is a Mk.46 scheme that has a yellow spinner on the On Target sheet but it's an RN one)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 12:41:14 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 10:37:45 PM »
For the longest time I had wondered how Supermarine evolved the Spitfire into the Spiteful, I was fairly certain that at the very least all the bottom of the fuselage from the datum longeron (that's the horizontal panel line you see on most Spitfire models that is about mid height of the fuselage) downwards was really all Spitfire.  The tail assembly would be interchangable between the two aircraft and the engine and mounting frames are the same too.  But I couldn't figure out what they did to the top half of the fuselage.  Then it came to me ----

Because the Spiteful is a bubble top, I kept looking at the bubble top Spitfires (especially the later ones) as to what did they did to convert the rest of the fuselage but I suddenly realized that I was looking at the wrong Spitfire type, I should have been looking at a 'standard' Spit, not the bubble top.

Why you might ask, well for one thing the rear fuselage profile matches a Spiteful's almost exactly, and as has been pointed out to me, three Mk.VIII's were originally assigned to the Spiteful project which should give a clue as to the basics of the Spiteful.  I recently got hold of the highly touted Morgan and Shacklady book called 'Spitfire-The History' and I've now read what others had pointed out and actually confirms just about all I've figured out.

So this project was mainly to confirm to myself that a standard Spitfire could be converted into a Spiteful.  I was amazed at just how easy it was too.  Below is a pic of a standard Spitfire, a Mk.21 to be exact, and what you see in white and the lighter grey over the engine, is all I changed to get a Spiteful fuselage (with Spitfire wings though and the Mk.22  tail assembly)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:54:07 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 10:40:28 PM »
I used this drawing of a Spiteful to make sure the profile was correct, which it matches exactly.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 05:10:49 AM »
Thank you for sharing your design process with us, kitnut! Your projects are always some of the most well-thought out around.

Not only that, but I always learn something from your posts. I had no idea about how very closely related the Spitfire & Spiteful actually were.

Brian da Basher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 07:51:53 AM »
I had no idea about how very closely related the Spitfire & Spiteful actually were.

Brian da Basher

I'm not sure many people actually are Brian, I'm finding out that they are more related than ever, I will go as far as saying the Spiteful fuselage could even be built out of the same fuselage jigs as the Spitfires.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2021, 11:13:31 PM »
I know, it's a long time since this thread was active, but I've something to add to it.

I got some drawings from the RAF Museum on Spitfire/Spiteful fuselages and this image confirms what I had figured out. I thought I had posted this before but it doesn't seem so (maybe in another thread) but a recent conversation I'm having with flateric on SPF about the very same subject, I thought I would add this here.

This image is the difference between the two fuselages, you'll notice everything below the datum longeron (the mid-point) is the same, just a different arrangement of some holes in the frame.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2021, 08:24:39 AM »
Thanks for sharing kit'!

I had always imagined that the bubble-top Spiteful rear fuselage would be essentially identical to that of the standard hood Spitfire. Your image shows that, above the datum longeron, the Spiteful fuselage was actually much more oval shaped. Nice!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2021, 01:37:05 PM »
I've seen that comparison somewhere....
Can you remind us, which frame that is?
Spitfire was designed with the "high back". In addition to having the bubble canopy, the cockpit of the Spiteful/Seafang was raised. It is then quite natural that the upper side of the fuselage is different.