Author Topic: Whiff private jet / VIP Transport  (Read 2507 times)

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
Whiff private jet / VIP Transport
« on: November 06, 2012, 07:24:36 AM »
We must all at some time have some flight of fantasy, lottery win, running own country, so on, etc. What you need in this instance is...a private jet!  How about letting your imagination run riot - even make a GB of it!

Offline Diamondback

• SC
  • Head of the crew dog fan boy club
Re: Whiff private jet / VIP Transport
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 07:37:24 AM »
Well, there was actually a proposal to gut the F-106 and turn its weapons bay into a 4-seat cabin or cargo hold... I'd link a pic, but right now I'm in exile from the F-106 forum until after the election.

Dream executive jet: a Westernized and massively up-engined (ideally, T/W of 1:1 and structure to let it accelerate straight up once off) Beriev Albatross amphibian. Not the little civvy Altair derivative, the much bigger and longer-range parent design
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 07:41:09 AM by Diamondback »

Online elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: Whiff private jet / VIP Transport
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 03:12:49 AM »
That F-106 variant is covered by Vol. 3 No. 2 of the electronic version of Aerospace Projects Review.  It's tempting to use some 1/48 biz-jet seats to flesh it out from the Monogram kit.

The one I'd be tempted to do starts with the last version of Learjet's testbed for the Longhorn wing on a Model 24 fuselage using airframe 24-218.  It included a couple tip tanks as drop tanks.  I would replace the built-up spar caps with machined extrusions as used on the original Swiss P-16 and include provisions for further hardpoints.  I'd also pick up an aftermarket drag reduction kit, gloves on the wingroots and thickened engine pylons to reduce drag, among other things) to improve performance as well as replace the CJ610 engine with a more modern turbofan engine (upgraded Honda engine, perhaps?  At one point, Teledyne Continental was looking at an engine for re-engining T-38s and F-5s with a more efficient and modern engine and this would be perfect for use here in dry form).  Finally, for a proper panoramic view, I'd convert it back to the large oval windows of the Model 23 and early Model 24.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 06:45:32 AM by elmayerle »