Author Topic: WHIF's found on internet  (Read 165520 times)

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
Re: WHIF's found on internet
« Reply #350 on: October 21, 2021, 02:46:23 AM »
Very nice!  :smiley:

The head appears to be have been a bubble gum dispenser in a former life. Got a few of those dispensers stashed away for such purposes as well.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #351 on: November 23, 2021, 02:29:05 AM »
some interesting stuff here:  https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1205976

For example:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #352 on: March 18, 2022, 12:48:41 PM »
Found this on Blue Angel’s page😍

MAD

Offline M.A.D

« Reply #353 on: March 18, 2022, 01:23:02 PM »

Although the twin B-29 from the Ted Nomura comic "Luftwaffe 1946" is intreging, I'd like to ask if anyone is able to identify the high-altitude Japanese interceptor design please?

MAD

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #354 on: March 18, 2022, 01:35:56 PM »

Although the twin B-29 from the Ted Nomura comic "Luftwaffe 1946" is intreging, I'd like to ask if anyone is able to identify the high-altitude Japanese interceptor design please?

MAD
It bears some resemblance with the Messerchmitt Me 155 / Blohm & Voss BV 155. Some iterations of that had a big intake in the nose.

Offline M.A.D

« Reply #355 on: March 18, 2022, 05:03:56 PM »

MAD
It bears some resemblance with the Messerchmitt Me 155 / Blohm & Voss BV 155. Some iterations of that had a big intake in the nose.

Thank you perttime for your feedback.

MAD

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #356 on: March 18, 2022, 10:32:10 PM »
Hmm! yeah it does, specifically --- this one

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #357 on: March 19, 2022, 02:32:15 PM »
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #358 on: March 20, 2022, 01:33:18 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #359 on: May 04, 2022, 05:09:58 AM »
This is a friend of mine. :)

I love their Dominion of AH Albion concept ... and Columbian Car and Foundry  :smiley:

"AH Albion's national animal is the orca, which frolics freely in the nation's sparkling oceans [but] nobody knows why the caged orca sings"
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #360 on: September 01, 2022, 12:06:27 AM »
Ok, I stumbled across this nice piece of work - both model and backstory, whilst researching between the Dassault/Dornier Alpha Jet or British Aerospace Hawk for my 'Alternative ADF ORBAT'.......

Dornier Alpha Jet C

by Dizzyfugu
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dizzyfugu/7047788281

Even though the Alpha Jet A was suitable in the ground attack role and had even been tested in aerial combat against helicopters in 1979, the German Luftwaffe decided in the mid-80ies that – facing the Cold War threat from the east – a more powerful but still economic plane for the close attack role, esp. against hardened ground targets and attack helicopters like the Mi-24 would be needed. Even though such "Alternate Close Support" versions of the Alpha Jet were available at that time, even though these were modified two-seaters. Such planes were bought by Cameroon and Egypt, but from the German Luftwaffe a specialized, more capable plane with a higher strike and survival potential was requested.
In 1986, Dornier developed a respective specialized version, called the Alpha Jet C (for "combat"). This plane was heavily modified, optimized for the ground attack role. It featured a new, single-seated nose section with an armoured cockpit in a much higher position than on the original two-seater. The Alpha jet C version's prominent, pointed nose quickly gave it among its test pilots the nickname "Nasenbär" (Coati).
The new space was used for avionics and an internal Oerlikon 35mm cannon – a variant of the same cannon used in the Gepard anti aircraft tank, firing armour piercing shells with a muzzle velocity of 1,440 m/s (4,700 ft/s) and a range of 5.500m. Avionics includecd SAGEM ULISS 81 INS, a Thomson-CSF VE-110 HUD, a TMV630 laser rangefinder in a modified nose and a TRT AHV 9 radio altimeter, with all avionics linked through a digital databus.
New wings were developed, with a thicker profile and less sweep, and non-jettisonable wing tip tanks as well as two more weapon hardpoints (for a total of six, plus one under the fuselage) added. The landing gear was reinforced for a higher TOW and operation on improvised runways. Fuselage and tail externally looked much the same as the original Alpha Jet A, but internally most structures were reinforced and technical modules placed in new positions.
The C version was from the start powered by two more powerful Larzac 04-C20 turbofans which would also be used in an update for the Luftwaffe’s Alpha Jet As. The hydraulic system was doubled, so that both engines could run separately, and kevlar and titanium armour plating added to vital areas around the lower hull. 
The first prototype 98+52 made its maiden flight at Friedrichshafen on 1st of June 1988. It was officially allocated to the JaboG 43 in Oldenburg, but actually spent almost all the time at the Luftwaffe’s Waffentechnische Dienststelle (Flight test center) WTD 61 in Manching near Munich, where it underwent a thorough testing program. More than once the prototype was transferred to Beja, Portugal, for weapon tests and training, as well as direct comparison with the standard Alpha Jet A and other NATO planes. A second airframe was built in 1987 but only used for static tests, system integration and finally damage resilience tests, after which it was written off and scrapped.
While the Alpha Jet C showed high agility at low level and a high survival potential in a hostile battlefield environment, the prototype remained a one-off. In the end, the German Luftwaffe did not want to add another type to its arsenal, despite its similarity with the standard Alpha Jet. Export chances for such a specialized, yet light aircraft were considered as low, since modified Alpha Jet versions were already available and other planes like the AMX or BAe Hawk offered more versatility, and were simply more up to date.
Hence, further development was stopped in September 1989, also under the influence of political changes and the breakdown of the Eastern Block. Even though 98+52 was kept at Manching as a test aircraft for various tasks, the plane was eventually lost in a crash due to hydraulic failure on 3rd of March 1993 – the pilot escaped safely, but 98+52 totally written off.

General characteristics:
Crew: 1
Length: 12.60 m (41 ft 4 in)
Wingspan: 10.73 m (35 ft 2 1/2 in)
Height: 4.24 m (13 ft 11 in)
Wing area: 213.7 ft² (19.85 m²)
Airfoil: NACA 23015 (modified) at root, NACA 4412 (modified) at tip
Empty weight: 3.680 kg (8.105 lbs)
Loaded weight: 5.900 kg (13.000 lbs)
Max. takeoff weight: 8.200 kg (18.060 lbs)
Powerplant: 2 × SNECMA Turbomeca Larzac 04-C20 turbofans, 14,12 kN (3.176 lbs) each

Performance
Maximum speed: 860 km/h (465 knots, 536 mph)
Stall speed: 167 km/h (90 knots, 104 mph) (flaps and undercarriage down)
Combat radius: 610 km (329 nmi, 379 mi) lo-lo-lo profile, w. underwing weapons incl. two drop tanks
Ferry range: 2,940 km (1,586 nmi, 1,827 mi)
Service ceiling: 14,630 m (48,000 ft)
Rate of climb: 57 m/s (11,220 ft/min)

Armament
1× 35 mm (1.38 in) Oerlikon KDA cannon w/150 rds under the lower forward fuselage, offset to starport side.
Seven hardpoints (one under fuselage, three under each wing) for a total external load of up to 3.085 kg (6.800 lbs), including AGM-65 Maverick, Matra rocket pods with 18× SNEB 68 mm rockets each, a variety of bombs (such as the Hunting BL755 cluster bombs) or Drop tanks for extended range, and AIM-9 Sidewinder or ASRAAM for self-defence

Well done Dizzyfugu!

M.A.D

Wow! I missed this one. Just saw a pair of the Alphas landing at Ottawa this past weekend. I'm a sucker for high-wing attack aircraft. Would those be Strikemaster wings grafted on?

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #361 on: January 07, 2023, 09:46:28 AM »
Two favorites of mine from internet.
see attached

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #362 on: January 07, 2023, 10:49:50 AM »
I do like that B-35 in RAF markings.  NAZIs in space, not so much :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kim margosein

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #363 on: January 11, 2023, 12:52:15 PM »
Now if you are really hardcore, paint your Roomba up like that saujcer

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #364 on: January 11, 2023, 03:45:28 PM »
Good call.   Give it the NCC-1701 finish and markings.   The decals are available.

Bet Carl is itching to build B-35 like that one with Canada insignia.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #365 on: January 12, 2023, 01:30:24 AM »
Now if you are really hardcore, paint your Roomba up like that saujcer

:smiley:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #366 on: January 23, 2023, 07:59:05 AM »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #367 on: January 30, 2023, 11:17:46 PM »
Very interesting diorama over on ModelGeek:

https://forums.kitmaker.net/t/reminiscing-on-my-days-at-south-station/27068

Lots of neat details and kitbashing galore!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #368 on: January 31, 2023, 05:27:59 AM »
 :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #369 on: January 31, 2023, 06:00:33 AM »
Wow! In the comments, there were multiple mentions of Ian McQue. I get it but this diorama is obviously set in a later era and, to my eye, is more believable. Great stuff  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline M.A.D

« Reply #370 on: March 26, 2023, 11:52:03 AM »
I found this interesting bomb carrying configuration on a Messerschmitt Bf 109 🤔

MAD

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #371 on: March 27, 2023, 01:13:54 AM »
I found this interesting bomb carrying configuration on a Messerschmitt Bf 109 🤔

MAD

4 x SC50 bombs:

Offline M.A.D

« Reply #372 on: March 27, 2023, 06:26:50 AM »

MAD

4 x SC50 bombs:

Oh wow, and here was I thinking the configuration was a 'What If' 🤔

Thanks GTX

MAD

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #373 on: March 28, 2023, 12:38:30 AM »
Truth is stranger than fiction... ;)

Offline M.A.D

« Reply #374 on: April 01, 2023, 03:20:40 PM »
🤔
Boeing Senicruiser.....

MAD