Author Topic: Ski equipped F.18 Hornet MLU. ...  (Read 3812 times)

Offline tsrjoe

• Has been volunteered... for something...
Ski equipped F.18 Hornet MLU. ...
« on: August 11, 2012, 08:43:17 AM »
descriptive text to follow ...   :o

Offline tsrjoe

Re: Ski equipped F.18 Hornet MLU. ...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 08:46:53 AM »
Translation …

‘Hornet sai sukset’ (Hornet got skis!) … the secret MLU modifications of Hornets

It has been heard from a reliable source (‘the horsemen’s news agency’) that the Finnish F.18 Hornet MLU update will include a ski modification. The modification will be carried out by Patria Aviation using workers on a government sponsored placement scheme. The value of the contract is about 33 million Euros. The contract will also support Finnish subcontractors and is worth 110 man work years.
Patria’s predecessor Valmet Lentokonetehdas (VL) has a long experience in manufacturing skis for aircraft, but instead of using aeroplane veneer and laminated plywood, the new skis will be made utilising modern materials such as carbon fibre, aramid honeycomb and titanium.
Snowy winters will turn the ‘land of thousands of lakes’ into the ‘land of alternate airfields’. Ploughing of runways can also be reduced, it only being necessary to pack the runway snow intermittently, which will help with cost saving targets. Destia (the national road maintenance organisation) is planning to reduce the snow maintenance of roads and airfields situated thereon, this would not affect ski equipped aircraft.
The project will be continued further by developing steam catapult and arrestor systems attached to the ice covering of the lakes by freezing in place. NATO common suitability certification will be applied for the ski modification as well as the catapult/arrestor system, and at least Norway has already expressed interest in purchasing the systems when in production.

Illustration by Mauno Selin
Ref.; Siivet Wings, 5/2010

Offline tsrjoe

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 08:51:28 AM »
would make for a sweet model methinks, im guessing semi recessed skis, i can just imagine these sitting on a snow covered lake complete with attendant skidoo's etc. 8)

via the prolific hand of John Lacey 'maverick' some profiles of the 'ski Hornet', the snow schemed example looks really cool indeed  ... and just how im finishing my model based upon the illustration  :D

cheers, Joe

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 10:26:53 AM »
Outstanding!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Geoff

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 07:26:02 PM »
I like that - where's that Draken?

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 10:58:21 AM »
I love the idea, but the name of the news agency is a tad suspicious.  Still, I'll agree with Geoff that a matching Draken is required.

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 01:05:18 PM »
I did a CF-18 on skis once, as a "Sea-F-18". I always wanted to do the ski version, and call it a "Ski-F-18". Now I wish I had!

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/rh/articles.php?id=6885

Alvis 3.1