Author Topic: Grumman Piston Twins - XF5F Skyrocket and F7F Tigercat  (Read 32839 times)

Offline sequoiaranger

• Gone but not forgotten. He already has a team of angels working up his bench in the sky!
  • Holding Pattern
  • E Pluribus Unum (modeling style)
Re: Grumman Piston Twins - XF5F Skyrocket and F7F Tigercat
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2012, 05:52:17 AM »
I took a couple of resin, metal, and vac kits of the F5F/XP-50 (pre MPM) combined to make this:

I liked the lengthened nose (but not the nosewheel) and spinners of various makes of this Grumman twin.

>Operational F5F with R-2800 engines entering service in early 1943 would wreak havoc on IJN.<

OR the Italians, OR the Germans!!

Bobcat shown here has its LG down to (ahem!) tighten its turn against the He-113!!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 05:57:19 AM by sequoiaranger »
My mind is like a compost heap--fertile AND rotten!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2012, 11:27:10 AM »
How about a crop duster derivative of the Tigercat...based on the firebombed version:

Gave me flash of using same color scheme for a SR-71 crop duster.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 11:30:50 AM »
 ;D
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2012, 11:34:28 AM »
An obvious variation is a production Grumman P-65 in USAAF squadron markings.  I wonder how it would've evolved separately from the F7F?

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2012, 02:15:41 PM »
The USAF would have stuffed cameras in the nose instead of a radar unit and used it instead of the F-51 complete with NMF and white polkadots on a red background.   ;D
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2012, 02:59:49 PM »
Speaking of Tigercats, isn't this a nice one...

Offline PR19_Kit

• Likes to brag about how long his...wings are.
  • Made it at last!
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2012, 07:56:17 PM »
Do the 'crew' have to hang on to the wings, a la 'Flight of the Phoenix', when it's airborne?  :) ;)
Regards
Kit

--------------------------
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2012, 12:25:54 AM »
I have plans to graft a Lockheed F-5 nose onto a XF5F to create a F5F-2P.

Great idea. Anxiously looking forward to the end result.

This is a no go as the F-5E (the P-38 one that is not the Northrop one) nose is actually pretty big and there is nowhere to really append it on the stub-nosed Skyrocket. I'll have to go through my spare nose jobs but failing anything else I can always mount a podded radar in the vein of the P-38M and make her a nightfighter.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2012, 12:50:39 AM »
I have plans to graft a Lockheed F-5 nose onto a XF5F to create a F5F-2P.
Great idea. Anxiously looking forward to the end result.
This is a no go as the F-5E (the P-38 one that is not the Northrop one) nose is actually pretty big and there is nowhere to really append it on the stub-nosed Skyrocket. I'll have to go through my spare nose jobs but failing anything else I can always mount a podded radar in the vein of the P-38M and make her a nightfighter.

That is most unfortunate.  I recently experienced something similar but was trying to mate up a resin 1/32nd scale F-5 camera nose conversion to a 1/48th scale Lockheed Ventura and discovered that it was not going to work as I had imagined.  I might try to use the parts from the Academy P-38 kit that includes the BTO, F-5, and night fighter parts instead but that is still undetermined at this point. 

Might I suggest that for your own project that you expand your search to include something more rotund in cross section?  Perhaps the nose from the de Havilland Mosquito will work for your project, it has the more circular cross section that could mate up with the nose of the Skyrocket.  Looking for something that is not in the same scale as your Skyrocket might also work to your advantage.  Scale-O-Rama!
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2012, 06:20:46 AM »
Well I've looked at a Ju-290, A-26, B-25H, P-38J and Mosquito nose but none have the right contours. I've also investigated using an inverted 1/48th Mosquito Merlin cut to fit (you had to be there). None of them look as good as that F-5E nose so I'm going to use the F-5E nose dammit!   >:(

I've cut grooves into the nose to get it to sit down onto the leading edge of the wing and am using bits of sprue to create a bridge between it and the fuselage which I can later fill in. So far so good. If it works, I'll start a build thread. If not, I'll be open to ideas and/or inspiration!

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2013, 01:55:30 AM »
Folks:

I found yet another use of Ta-152 wings: F7F. Heh heh heh.  >:D

But I suspect to obtain sufficient power at 40,000' plus altitude, superchargers are  necessary mandatory.

How would you modify the Monogram F7F to incorporate superchargers? Push the engines forward but mess with the C of G?  Extent the engine nacelles back? Mount them on top like the P-38?

Engineers, please break out your slip sticks and fill my brain with laplace and fourier translations.  ;D
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2013, 02:14:51 AM »
Folks:

But I suspect to obtain sufficient power at 40,000' plus altitude, superchargers are  necessary mandatory.

How would you modify the Monogram F7F to incorporate superchargers? Push the engines forward but mess with the C of G?  Extent the engine nacelles back? Mount them on top like the P-38?

Engineers, please break out your slip sticks and fill my brain with laplace and fourier translations.  ;D
I would not push the engines forward, that adds more headaches unless you've got an equivalent weight to balance things.  Are you going with mechanically-driven superchargers or exhaust-gas-driven turbo-superchargers?  This make a big difference in potential layouts.  Too, in either case, will you be using intercoolers to get the temperature of the supercharger flow down?  This, too, makes a big difference in efficient component arrangement.

I'm not at all certain that you need to extend the nacelles, they look to be long enough now.  For one idea, you might want to look at the Japanese heavy high-altitude fighters from WW II.  ISTR that at least one had the turbocharger at the aft end of the nacelle with the exhaust pointing aft.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2013, 03:19:56 AM »
Well I've looked at a Ju-290, A-26, B-25H, P-38J and Mosquito nose but none have the right contours. I've also investigated using an inverted 1/48th Mosquito Merlin cut to fit (you had to be there). None of them look as good as that F-5E nose so I'm going to use the F-5E nose dammit!   >:(

I've cut grooves into the nose to get it to sit down onto the leading edge of the wing and am using bits of sprue to create a bridge between it and the fuselage which I can later fill in. So far so good. If it works, I'll start a build thread. If not, I'll be open to ideas and/or inspiration!

I would look at the Lockheed RF-80 nose, there's a good possibility that it will match

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2013, 03:24:46 AM »
The F7F was powered by a two-stage supercharged R-2800, so what extra supercharger
are talking about adding? The F7F-3 version had a service ceiling of 40,700 feet, so any
big gain over that would probably be a matter of changing blower size, ratio, etc. None
of which would create much in the way of external appearance, except perhaps some
sort of enlarged air intakes. Possible, but not something that would necessarily happen
as Grumman and P&W seemed to work well together on creating extemely clean installations
in that period, which is demonstrated by both the F7F and F8F.

Stick on the long wings and just tell folks the blower system was tweeked for higher altitude.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2013, 03:30:00 AM »
Folks:

I would say the engine already has a supercharger --

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2013, 03:47:32 AM »
The F7F was powered by a two-stage supercharged R-2800, so what extra supercharger
are talking about adding? The F7F-3 version had a service ceiling of 40,700 feet, so any
big gain over that would probably be a matter of changing blower size, ratio, etc. None
of which would create much in the way of external appearance, except perhaps some
sort of enlarged air intakes. Possible, but not something that would necessarily happen
as Grumman and P&W seemed to work well together on creating extemely clean installations
in that period, which is demonstrated by both the F7F and F8F.

Stick on the long wings and just tell folks the blower system was tweeked for higher altitude.

Student Pilots, here is a prime example of RTFPN. Read The F**king Pilot's Notes.   :-[

Now, Pilot Trainee Carl will now walk to the black board, wear the pink BTS leather helmet of shame and write 1,000 times:

"I will always read the Pilot's Notes first before I ask a question."

Just to make it a look a wee bit different, I'll add some air scopes to the side of the nacelle.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:33:37 AM by The Big Gimper »

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2013, 05:28:32 AM »
Jowl scoops like the F4U-5 or P-61C would definitely suggest a boost in output.

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2013, 06:26:33 AM »

Not sure if this for the XF5F or the F7F but it appears that tail perspex from the Frog Shackleton with a bit a styrene shim and PSR could give the F7F a glass nose.

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2013, 07:14:49 AM »
^ It was for the XF5F and the F-5E will fit with a bit of precisionish sanding and a fair amount of filler - one day. Your pointer is noted with great interest though.  :)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2013, 11:40:04 AM »
Not sure if this for the XF5F or the F7F but it appears that tail perspex from the Frog Shackleton with a bit a styrene shim and PSR could give the F7F a glass nose.

A Droop Snoot TigerCat would be quite a sight but I suspect that accommodations within that forward compartment might be a bit cramped :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2013, 12:57:56 PM »
Possibly painful on a hard landing, too (much like the P-38 trainers the Italians did).  Just a thought, what if the F7F had kept the twin verticals of the F5F instead of, or in addition to, the existing vertical tail (perhaps much cut down).

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2013, 05:35:05 PM »

A Droop Snoot TigerCat would be quite a sight but I suspect that accommodations within that forward compartment might be a bit cramped :)

Not according to Airfix if their pilot physiognomy is correct.  ;D

New name for the A/C: "Droopy cat"

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2013, 02:43:18 PM »
How about a small jet in the tail?

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2015, 09:17:31 PM »
Interesting that the Plastic Borg mentioned installing the Vickers Class "S" class 40mm S Guns on a P-40.

I have plans (only on paper of course) to install a 75mm and maybe two 40mm guns on a F7F.  The 75mm could come from a Italeri HS-129B-3. Or would the cannon/barrel be shorter T13E1 / M5 design as installed in the B-25H (the online images of 1/72 B-25Hs kits do not have a full length cannon, just a stub). So would have the US used a stock 75mm barrel as used on a M4A3 Sherman? How accurate was the short barrel T13E1 / M5 75mm? 

Yes, there was the Beech A-38 Grizzly with the new-designed T15E1 (M10) 75 mm cannon.

But hey, the F7F/R-2800 were proven design, in mass production so why not retro fit it? The R-2800-34W produced 2,100 HP and 2,400 HP with water-methanol injection. Same HP as the A-38's R-3350. And the F7F was 90 MPH faster.

And BTW I have several F7F kits in the stash and no A-38s.  8)

NB: Don't forget there was the Vickers P Class 47mm cannon.

Source: Wikimedia
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 09:22:24 PM by The Big Gimper »

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2015, 10:19:37 PM »
The other option is the 6pdr / 57mm Molins gun as installed on the Mosquito Tsetse. It was used for anti shipping strike but I believe was originally intended for anti armour and CAS.  Also, as I understand it the 6pdr has superior armour penetration characteristics to the US75mm.