Author Topic: Modern medium bomber  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Modern medium bomber
« on: September 13, 2022, 12:36:15 PM »
Or should I say modern heavy fighter bomber. Something less than a B-52, B-1 or B-2 but with much more payload than an F-16 or F-18. There was an idea for an enlarged F-22 with an internal bomb bay. Same thing could probably be imagined for an enlarged F-23. I was just thinking of a stretched F-14 Tomcat that would be a real “Bombcat”! Take an F-16XL and really go scale-a-rama with it. Add some real tech that would give it excellent accuracy. I’m thinking a two person crew would be standard if not three. I’m just throwing ideas around right now but do you guys think this could be a good whiff?
Scale-o-rama some Mirages with two or more engines maybe B-58 style…..
Just thinking now of an enlarged three engine Phantom with bigger wings for lots more pylons…..

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
Re: Modern medium bomber
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 09:10:57 PM »
Something between the A-12 and B-2 in the flying wing family would be interesting to see done. 

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 10:34:11 PM »
I always liked the notion of a half-scaled Rockwell B-1B as a replacement for the adhoc series of General Dynamics F-111 series - with two crew, instead of four; two F101 turbofans instead of four; two internal weapons, instead of three.....
I'm assumising that by utilising the principle of a half-scaled B-1B, so much money would be saved in R&D, while mitigating development risk, because it had all been developed and proven in the B-1B program itself, which one would think would naturally equate to massive economic savings and a quick and fluid OIC.

MAD
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 10:36:08 PM by M.A.D »

Offline Kerick

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 11:04:07 PM »
Half scale B-one sounds really interesting. Something with a much larger bomb load than a fighter and still has speed and maneuverability. I’ve heard pilots compare a B-1 to a loaded Phantom so that’s pretty good. In Afghanistan B-1s were just loaded with JDAMs orbiting waiting for a CAS call. No need for a strategic bomber for that. Plus they were flying all the way from bases in the US to do it. I’ll have to dig around in the junk drawer and see what I can throw together. Some old box scale kit might work.

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 01:57:07 AM »
Airbus B-400

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 03:43:59 AM »
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Kerick

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 08:03:53 AM »
Reminds me of the RF-23 I have sitting on the table waiting to be finished. I stretched the fuselage ahead of the wings by an inch on a 1/72nd scale model. I also redid the intakes too. Another project that deserves to be finished.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 08:53:39 AM »
The  enlarged F-23 concept looks like a stealthy A-5 Vigilante.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 10:42:05 AM »
I'm mentally trying to turn an F-15 into something large and in charge. Maybe an F-111 front section with a wider F-15 fuselage and bigger wings.
But swing wings are very attractive too! Needs a pair of F-35 engines. 

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2022, 01:54:37 AM »
How about a development of the P-8 with weapons bays forward and aft of the wing and with all the ASW gear stripped out:

See here for some thinking:  https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/40859/the-case-for-stripping-the-p-8-poseidon-down-into-an-rb-8-multi-role-arsenal-ship
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2022, 04:44:02 AM »
Hello USAF  --  Take note !

Offline Kerick

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2022, 05:39:31 AM »
I’ve thought about converting an airliner into a bomb truck. Perhaps with a new fuselage shaped like a bomber instead of an airliner. Maybe a 757 or at least the wings. It would need Lantern pods built in with B-52 style chin bulges.

Still rolling around B-1 and fighter type of aircraft on steroids ideas.

Online robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2022, 06:11:31 AM »
I’ve thought about converting an airliner into a bomb truck. Perhaps with a new fuselage shaped like a bomber instead of an airliner. Maybe a 757 or at least the wings. It would need Lantern pods built in with B-52 style chin bulges.

Something like this . . . ?

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline Kerick

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2022, 11:08:40 PM »
That's very much like what I've been thinking of! Thanks!

Offline Kerick

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 08:15:29 AM »
I’ve been thinking of an F-111 front end and an F-15 or F-14 widened fuselage. Trying to add a third engine might be a challenge. Maybe an F-16 style under fuselage scoop but squared up like the Eagle or Tomcat intakes.

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2022, 01:24:50 AM »
Maybe an F-16 style under fuselage scoop but squared up like the Eagle or Tomcat intakes.

A bit like this?

CFBV

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2022, 02:19:29 AM »
F-111?

Offline Kerick

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2022, 02:15:51 PM »
I was playing around with some kits tonight and I think the Monogram EF-111 and the Italeri F-14 kits will work. Between the two of them I can get some extra length in the fuselage and slightly widen the F-14 rear fuselage to match the F-111. Looking at extending the F-111 bomb bay part way down the F-14 fuselage and maybe a conformal hump aft of the cockpit. I started out thinking of multi tone grey but that’s been done before so it’s either European 1, SEA or SAC FB-111 camo. I also checked out an F-18E kit and it had some funky looking cruise missile in it that might work into the plan. Oh and I also have an old F-111B nose from the old Revell kit laying around.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2022, 03:56:08 PM »
Encouraging research.  Like to hear as concept proceeds.

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2022, 06:24:30 PM »
I'm wondering if some biz jets might have potential here.

The Bombardier Global Express has already seen a fair bit of modification for military roles. I wonder if a weapons bay of decent size could be put ahead of the wings, in the same area as the Sentinel that the RAF used to operate had their big antenna and sensor blister:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raytheon_Sentinel

The Embraer EMB-145-RS and Gulfsteam G550 have also seen similar military treatment.

If these aircraft have enough space ahead of their wings to be fitted with extensive sensor gear and have the engine power to get it off the ground, I imagine stripping the cabin out, putting a bomb bay in them and getting them to lift a medium sized bomb load might be in the realm of possibility.

Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline Kerick

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2022, 12:57:29 AM »
A very interesting idea! Sounds like this could go two different directions. A repurposed airliner or fast jet strike version. Airliner could get a high mounted wing for more fuselage bomb bay space but then what to do with the main gear? Hmmm……
I’m getting pretty settled on the F-111/F-14 combo. Just need to tweak it so it’s not too obvious. And a camo scheme.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2022, 04:24:38 PM »
I just thought about carrying an Air Launched Cruise Missile on this build. and a couple bunker busters to follow up on the target with. Probably not practical but could be fun.  An F-18E kit had two AGM-84 SLAM-ER that I might steal. Now to find who makes them in 1/72.  Finding painting directions for an F-111 is harder that finding hens teeth.  The kits I have show grey of the EF-111A or tan/olive /black which doesn't sound like any F-111 I've ever seen.  Could just make something up but I like part of my builds to be plausible.
Also, does anyone know if the fuel tanks from the Monogram A-10 kit are close to the F-111 tanks?  I've read the A-10 inherited the big tanks from the F-111 program for ferry flights. I have two of those or maybe F-15 tanks.

Looks like I need the AGM-158 JASSM missile for tactical strikes. Modelcollect make a kit but its expensive not even including shipping so the search goes on.
Another company from Ukraine called Armory makes them at a better price. Delivery might be lengthy but its no rush for me.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 04:46:15 PM by Kerick »

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2022, 01:18:01 AM »
An F-18E kit had two AGM-84 SLAM-ER that I might steal. Now to find who makes them in 1/72. 

Options:

Finding painting directions for an F-111 is harder that finding hens teeth.  The kits I have show grey of the EF-111A or tan/olive /black which doesn't sound like any F-111 I've ever seen.  Could just make something up but I like part of my builds to be plausible.

Depends or era, user, etc etc.

Try here for more:  http://f-111.net

Also, does anyone know if the fuel tanks from the Monogram A-10 kit are close to the F-111 tanks?  I've read the A-10 inherited the big tanks from the F-111 program for ferry flights. I have two of those or maybe F-15 tanks.

Exact same tanks as far as I understand:

Online robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2022, 02:53:37 AM »
Airliner could get a high mounted wing for more fuselage bomb bay space but then what to do with the main gear? Hmmm……

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Aerospace_146            ;)

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline Kerick

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2022, 02:11:55 AM »
Thanks for that info G. I’ll look into that skunkmodel kit.
An enlarged 146 would be interesting. Thanks robunos.
I did a B737 with the wings remounted to an over the fuselage position with stub wings for the main gear in the original position. 1/200the scale IIRC.