Author Topic: 1/35 Transporter - Hypersonic Cruise missile carrier  (Read 448 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/35 Transporter - Hypersonic Cruise missile carrier
« on: September 10, 2022, 09:11:15 AM »
I was going to pick something else to build, but Felix the cat (who insists on visiting the model closet daily):

spent more than a few seconds sniffing at the Revell 1/40 Corporal Missile with Transporter. So I decided that it was going to be the next build. I also saw the old NATO MLRS Multiple Launch Rocket System which has been parted out and was a sad sight sitting in its very large box.

The ancient Revell kit dates from 1955 and has moving parts. For a kit this old, the level and quality of the details is pretty good, with only some flash (but on all the parts...).

The first thing I did was to pronounce it 1/35 scale (some boxings have listed it as 1/35 - it's definitely 1/40). I didn't like the molded in mesh on the sides of the engine compartment, so I replaced them with plastic sheet.

I'm using the MRLS crew cabin instead of the funky cabanas on the original kit. The MRLS crew cabin is a bit wider than the transporter - and already started - so the fist step was to unglue everything (I used some of the fast acting Tamiya glue).  I then cut the roof and the front (with the windows) in half and shorted them by a few mm. The sides (with the doors) were shortened slightly. The rest of the cabin is made with plastic sheet and a diamond grid floor:

There's a PE mesh inside the engine/battery compartment that does a good job of hiding the void within.

This is where I was earlier today:

It's been a fun project so far - lots of plastic surgery, but the basic kit fits well and everything is falling together as planned. I'm not sure what I'll use for a payload. The crew cabin blocks the space for the original Corporal missile's nose, so I can modify the Corporal to fit. I also have the Takom DF-17 Chinese hypersonic missile - which I plan to modify into a US (or NATO) ballistic hypersonic missile anyway. Another option is to use the ICM KUNG shelter, or use it as a reference to make a westernized version.

I was also thinking of some sort of support vehicle,  like this CALTEX oil field service truck build over at Modellversium that caught my eye.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 08:04:04 AM by Frank3k »

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Re: 1/35 Transporter (payload to be decided)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 09:15:04 AM »
The slightly offset cabin looks just right  :smiley: :smiley:

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 09:19:37 PM »
Coming along nicely. Looking forward to seeing what the payload is.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 12:48:23 AM »
Thanks, guys. The new cab really improves the look of the vehicle. The missile carrier/erector may need way more work than expected.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 04:35:41 AM »
The ancient Revell kit dates from 1955 and has moving parts. For a kit this old, the level and quality of the details is pretty good, with only some flash (but on all the parts...).
  I can relate to that description all too well.  The joy of old models being released again with flash almost as thick as the parts makes you question your purchasing decisions.  :smiley:

Let the creative juices flow!  Looking good with the modified cab and I can not help but imagine that vehicle with a 155mm gun/howitzer type cannon mounted on it like the Swedish Archer built by Bofors and French CAESAR built by GIAT. 

Felix is a very handsome critter. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 03:15:44 AM »
Jeff - I thought about a gun, but I don't have one that'll fit. I finished the missile launch tower and it's a blank canvas for detailing/hiding the lack of detailing on some parts. I tried the KUNG shelter - which is a pretty simple but nice kit in itself - but it's a bit small for the carrier. The DF-17 hypersonic missile is too long with its booster, but I've cut down the Corporal to fit. There was actually a Private missile that CalTech built that led to the Corporal, but I'm not going to call it that...

I'm leaning towards a medium range hypersonic launcher with the DF-17 (or a NATO version) piggybacking on the shortened booster. I may also print some detailing for the transporter - fire extinguishers, lights, cabin equipment, etc.

Felix looked like a bat when he was a kitten and had some health issues that had us worried, but he grew into his paws and out of his heath issues and he's a very vocal, large and smart 14 lb cat. Right now he's standing in front of the model closet waiting for his daily inspection...

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2022, 06:33:39 AM »
Whatever you do, I am watching on

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
Re: 1/35 Transporter - Hypersonic Cruise missile carrier
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2022, 08:06:05 AM »
Here's the current state of this project, pretty much held together by tape, gravity or blu-tac. Full transporter, with hypersonic cruise missile launcher:

The two side boosters are plastic knitting needles that my wife gave me. The nozzles are from the ancient AMT 1/200 US launcher set. I cut down the main DF-17 booster to fit on the carrier.

I'm not completely done westernizing the DF-17, but I added some fins and a scramjet engine:

Here's a top secret view of the scramjet intake:

A real hypersonic cruise missile would ship and launch from a box:

But whats the fun in that?

Still need to add more fins to the cruise missile, interstage adapter and main booster. plus do all the other fun stuff.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2022, 08:52:22 PM »
Inspiring!

I am sloooooowwwlly collecting parts and donor kits to make a version of the Hard Mobile Launcher (probably the wheeled version).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Mobile_Launcher

I will be looking forward to progress reports on this build.

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2022, 01:49:15 AM »
^ I was today years old when I first learned about the HML. Thanks!!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2022, 02:07:07 AM »
Inspiring!

I am sloooooowwwlly collecting parts and donor kits to make a version of the Hard Mobile Launcher (probably the wheeled version).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Mobile_Launcher

I will be looking forward to progress reports on this build.

:smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2022, 03:12:20 AM »
I think I had heard of the Hard Mobile launcher, but it has been a while...the tractor on those look a lot like the regular Minuteman transports that I would see very occasionally in my youth in North Dakota.

The progress so for looks pretty neat, Frank. I don't blame you for dropping the box-what's the point of Hypersonic if it ain't struttin'? ;)
I would be tempted to go all Gerry Anderson and put the secondary boosters on stub wings, but it'll look good as is. Giving it the classic
Mace/Matador red-orange finish might be cool too..

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2022, 09:09:22 AM »
^ I was today years old when I first learned about the HML. Thanks!!

Same here! It looks like it would be a good companion to the Damnation Alley Landmaster.

Craig - I like the X-51 Waverider intake, so I made a bigger version. No point in hiding it!

I worked on the cabin today, watching old SF movies on Youtube while some contractors sanded and repainted the railing on our patio deck. All in all, a good day.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2022, 07:14:55 PM »
1) Holy Crap.

2) I miss Spooky, my Halloween familiar.

3) Holy Crap.

4) I've got one of those Revell CORPORALs new-in-wrap. Someone wants it, PM me and we'll make a deal-deal.

5) Holy Crap.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2022, 01:27:49 AM »
I used online images of an M270 crew cabin for color and detail references, The apple green color is a bi too vivid compared to the real thing, but this isn't an M270, so that's OK.

I replaced the plain styrene back wall with the original wall, with most of the equipment shelves. I added some cabling with wire wrap wire and a bit of sprue. The box on the right side is from the Eastern Express (and others) T-18 tank. It's almost unbuildable, but good for parts:

The rails on the floor were just to add some visual interest. I thought the seats would be able to move back and forth, but this as before I added the shelving.  I still have more equipment and cabling to add.

The front is a little busier. I used decals (from a modern soviet aircraft set). The 24" monitor is from my GAZ 39371 Vodnik pickup. It's a less than perfect print (I made many monitors) but should work here. The louvered round objects behind the two main instrument panels are Gundam add-on parts and are supposed to be vents, Everything is a little cramped since I narrowed the cabin by about 5 mm.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 01:30:09 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2022, 07:49:05 AM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2022, 09:19:49 AM »
I have most of the construction and first layers of painting done. First, the crew cabin. The steering yoke is upside down - I'll fix it when I open the doors. The image on the 24" monitor is just a decal I found on the web:

Back wall of the cabin has an Easter egg: a NAFO Fella:

The missile support has to be modified - right now it's just resting on the carrier:

The hypersonic missile itself is in Vallejo metallic colors. i used light aluminum with a drop of yellow ink for the whitish nose section.

I moved the extra fins back a bit. The engine section has a blue tint that isn't obvious in this picture:

Top view:

None of the paint is final and some of the missile colors may change/be enhanced, especially when I start weathering,

Miss Emma insisted that she needed to "help":

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2022, 09:56:01 AM »
Miss Emma has those "What? Me?" eyes, that tell you she's been caught out doing something she knows she shouldn't. ;D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 09:57:41 AM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Story

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2022, 10:23:12 AM »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2022, 11:30:32 AM »
I'd just asked Emma if she wanted to go downstairs and get some treats, so it's more "Really!!! Wait a sec while I use the back of your chair as a scratching post"

Offline Story

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2022, 09:34:41 PM »
So is the endstate of this potpourri a Chinese or American or someone else's system?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2022, 11:26:16 PM »
All American hypersonic. I still need to add the boosters.

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2022, 11:52:40 PM »
Great job on the modified DF-17. Looking forward to seeing it done.