Author Topic: Anteater Recon vehicle  (Read 3135 times)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Anteater Recon vehicle
« on: July 21, 2022, 05:55:39 AM »
I have been thinking of doing a mod to a kit since I bought it 10 ... 15 years ago -- did a profile of the idea at the time.  So now that there's a "Bite Me" build on the go I will try to do it.

Don't get all excited just yet ... some of my builds have been known to last for 40 years !!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 12:59:49 PM by raafif »

Offline Sport25ing

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: placeholder ...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 05:13:03 PM »
I hope not  ;D

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Re: placeholder ...
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 10:54:17 AM »
You will be gald to know that I have been very brave & made the first major cut – a difficult full width cut with the Dremel Buzzsaw.  Actually I was very brave a second time when a second cut was made but quickly applied a band-aide to my thumb without crying. Then 3 more smaller cuts to sever the nose from the rest, glued it to the upper section & set it aside to dry.

Dug out the parts for a turret & modified them to fit the main section – will have to figure out a way for it to rotate or otherwise I’ll have to just glue it on solidly.

So now, I guess, is the time to open the instructions & see what I need to do from here.

Day Two – got stuck in & surprisingly managed to, except for paint, complete all the landing gear – luckily there wasn’t so many parts & the instructions were quite good.
Just picked up the instructions again & started scratching my head over the many, many small & miniature parts for the upper section ...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 11:00:26 AM by raafif »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: placeholder ... Name TBA
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 12:23:13 PM »
Oh, this sounds very promising. And the cut thumb? Good on ya!

1 - For not blubbing;

2 - Because Styrene, goddess of whiffing, appreciates all blood sacrifices  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2022, 12:21:24 PM »
Side planks added to the upper hull & trimmed the rear plate. Glued the said plate to the hull but found I had trimmed too much off in places but that’s easily fixed later.  Now to join the upper & lower sections before starting on the dozens of superstructure additions.

My God !  So far this must be the fastest build I have ever done !!

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Re: placeholder ... Name -- Anteater
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2022, 11:00:40 PM »
When you added the word Anteater to the title I immediately thought you might be working on an F-111 but your writing suggests not likely.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 02:32:31 AM »
When you added the word Anteater to the title I immediately thought you might be working on an F-111 but your writing suggests not likely.

I think Do335...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 05:48:15 AM »
Side planks added to the upper hull & trimmed the rear plate. Glued the said plate to the hull but found I had trimmed too much off in places but that’s easily fixed later.  Now to join the upper & lower sections before starting on the dozens of superstructure additions.

My God !  So far this must be the fastest build I have ever done !!

Upper hull and rear plate = tank?
Landing gear = aircraft?
Superstructure = ship?
Me = puzzled!
Looking forward to pics of this whatever it turns out to be!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2022, 10:10:54 AM »
Flying Boat? ??? ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 08:06:03 AM »
Glued the hulls together !  A little mismatch but better than some kits from the box. 
But now for the hard bit – filling the large missing sections created by my initial mods & cuts with plasticard.  I’m not good at getting the measurement exactly the same or even cutting straight lines so I spent an hour “cut & check”- ing two lines then another 45 minutes on another piece ….. but it’s coming together so far.

Glued bits together, mainly from the old Tamiya Marder & various kits to make a main turret with mantlet.  A sub-turret was made using the Marder gun & a base.
Started experimenting with adding non kit bits to add interest.

Aircraft, Tank, Ship ????  That's for me to know & you to be puzzled over !!
           If you don't like that then Bite Me ;D

May post an image soon.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 08:09:25 AM by raafif »

Offline Kerick

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2022, 12:58:20 PM »
Amphibious assault hover craft frigate!

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2022, 07:46:49 AM »
Imperial Stormtroopers made the master of this kit - not a metric measurement in sight.  I made exactly a 1" extension to the hull purely by happen-stance - makes rebuilding the gap easier as my steel ruler is 6" X 1" wide ;)

After a boring two days at work I'm happy to get back to the hobby desk today.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2022, 10:19:14 AM »
Looks Stryker/LAV-III-based. ???
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2022, 09:30:12 AM »
Added several mods & greeblies, replaced six grab-handles with others as the kit ones were under-scale & far too fragile.  Added many more very small parts, tiresome to do but add to the overall look.  Mis-numbered parts on the instructions didn’t help ::)

Bad news for me – after looking again at the profile that I did several years ago and comparing it with my model, I’ve made a large mistake.  I forgot how I did the profile - I moved all the suspension aft so that there was only a few mm between the tires resulting in a nicer overhang at the front.  In making the model, I left the kit suspension alone – result – nose shorter & it don’t look sexy enough.  Too late to change that, so now I’ve started to rip the front suspension units out & shorten them which “should” give a sexier stance. 
Luckily my home-made glue (*Gloop*) is strong enough to bond the parts but only melts the plastic just enough to do the job.

I’ve already cut, drilled, pegged (with piano wire) & re-glued the first set of struts.  Getting the stance right may take a bit of fiddleing but hopefully this will be a fairly quick fix.

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
Re: Anteater Recon vehicle
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2022, 01:00:40 PM »
OK, I may as well stop pretending that I’m keeping all of you guessing what it is – Anteater Recon based on a Stryker.  I’ve used AFV Club’s Stryker MGS as I had used the turret on another project & had the rest of the kit sitting around.

Here’s the profile I did previously ...

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2022, 01:01:22 PM »
Fixed the suspension for a better look – it only took 4 hours to do.  I did things the hard way on the first strut but learnt to do things in a simpler manner on the others.  It now has hydraulic tilt & may have to be renamed “Bloodhound”.

Again many more greeblies added & a few more to go yet then paint.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2022, 10:12:10 PM »
Look’n pretty cool! Carry on!

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2022, 01:32:25 AM »
Oh, this sounds very promising. And the cut thumb? Good on ya!

1 - For not blubbing;

2 - Because Styrene, goddess of whiffing, appreciates all blood sacrifices  :smiley:

Her friends call her Polly.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2022, 06:27:52 AM »
A rush to get it finished.  Many paint...wait for it to dry -- paint...wait for it to dry...touch up the messy bits -- paint...wait for it to dry -- so boring & frustrating !

Markings are for Canada - maybe the vehicle has been deployed to combat the hoard of Russians swarming thru Canada like ants to attack the USA -- or maybe to keep the Frenchies in Eastern Canada at bay? ???

I’m rather disappointed in the finished design.  I intended the front overhang to be much longer & I should have cut & shut the lower hull in two more places to get the wheels much closer together & further aft instead of just sliding the upper hull forward.
Still this is my first extension job in plasticard.  My attempt to drop the nose was only partially successful as I didn’t chop enough out of the front suspension struts ... next time !!

This has been a big learning curve for me & has taught that things aren’t really as difficult as you think – just get stuck in & deal with each problem as they arise even if you have to redo the fix twice over.
Still a little work to do to really finish this model but good to post a few pics by the deadline.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 06:32:41 AM by raafif »

Offline Sport25ing

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2022, 06:50:50 AM »
Very Good indeed  :D

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2022, 06:59:01 AM »
Very nice. :smiley:

Offline Kerick

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2022, 08:53:42 AM »
Looks cool! Don’t forget to post in the finished builds! I wouldn’t want to miss it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2022, 11:44:58 AM »
Looks good! Armored land shark!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2022, 11:22:34 PM »
Very good build! :smiley:

Pity you don't have a better camera, though. The images don't, I feel, do justice to the work.

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2022, 08:05:26 AM »

Pity you don't have a better camera, though. The images don't, I feel, do justice to the work.

Thanks all.

Very true Wombat, unfortunately I'm on a partial pension & I'd have to sell many kits to afford a better one & there's no real market for kits here.  Current kits that retail for $85 only bring $25 at the market :(