Author Topic: 48th scale Kinetic S-2 Tracker What-If WIP  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
48th scale Kinetic S-2 Tracker What-If WIP
« on: July 15, 2022, 01:14:46 AM »
Attached images to show where I am with this what-if project that started out as a prototype in 1/72nd scale with the ancient Hasegawa S-2 Tracker to see if it were possible to modify the fuselage to house a full span bomb bay.  It was a lot simpler to do in 1/72nd scale as I have discovered while slogging through this project. 

The Kinetic S-2 fuselage was cut on the side not featuring the bomb bay to create the full width bomb bay.  The bomb bay parts were stripped of the bulkhead portions and these in turn become the overhead for the new full span bomb bay.  Framework within this bomb bay is represented by parts scavenged from several MiniArt telephone/telegraph pole kits.  The angle-iron being the part that used to hold the insulators was stripped of the insulators and then cut to length to create the framework within the bomb bay.  The overhead sections are adorned with pieces of framework from an old Tamiya SdKfz 251 "Stuka zum Fuß" kit, the parts in  question were the rocket launcher crates after being disassembled.  Partial forward and aft bulkheads were created from scrap plastic card and the intention is to add in another piece of plastic card once the fuselage halves have been joined together to cover the gap between the to bomb bay overhead. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: 48th scale Kinetic S-2 Tracker What-If WIP
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 01:16:29 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 04:22:15 AM »
Looking good!

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 06:46:44 AM »
Worthwhile project. Looking good so far

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 07:30:22 AM »
Thanks all.  It has been a bit nerve wracking at times trying to visualize the idea without cocking it up.  The results shared are the third attempt at the bomb bay details.  In my previous attempts I had attempted to create the forward and aft bulkheads and every attempt failed thanks to the cockpit bulkhead being just a bit "off" which resulted in any copy attempt of the profile to be even more "off" and I was running out of plastic card with all of the fails.  So step back, reevaluate and go at it from a different angle.  Skip trying to make full fore and aft bulkheads, build partial bulkheads instead and do a multi-section bomb bay to make it easier to assemble inside the fuselage. 

This bomber variant is "imagineered" to be able to carry two Mk.13 torpedoes or four 1000-pound bombs for a maximum load of 4000-pounds.  There is ample room for the two Mk.13 torpedoes in a side by side configuration so the width issue was not a problem, the length of the bomb bay makes it a bit tight for the four 1000-pound bombs but they do fit.  Other weapons could also be carried up to that 4000-pound weight limitation. 

Wing stores will remain the same as on the S-2 Tracker with three stores pylons under each wing for 5.0"/127mm HVAR and other small stores up to 250-pounds maximum on each pylon.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 10:49:59 AM »
Looks good. Are you going to keep the radar and move the operators to the rear compartment? Or just make it a two crew operation?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 12:38:52 PM »
Looks good. Are you going to keep the radar and move the operators to the rear compartment? Or just make it a two crew operation?
Thanks Frank.  Planned for only two crew; pilot and copilot-bombardier/navigator only.  The radar position/cavity has a blanking cover that can be used in lieu of the drop down radome feature.  I am considering converting the searchlight to a radar pod on the wing but that will be decided on later. 

I discovered an issue after my earlier post about bomb load/capacity.  Turns out my calculations were a bit off.  This was only obvious after I placed a pair of 1000-pound bombs in tandem and realized there was insufficient room to clear the bulkheads at the front and rear of the bomb bay plus no where near enough safe space between the bombs to clear the nose and tail fuzes.  I further confirmed the cock up by checking to see if the Mk.13 Torpedo would fit.  While the width is sufficient, the length falls short and by coincidence this little glitch was there all the time but I had overlooked it because the original bomb bay was actually long enough for the bombs and torpedo when installed on the S-2E and not the S-2A which is what I was working with.  The original kit part was designed to fit under the cockpit bulkhead to shorten it up for the S-2A fuselage and also allow it to be full length when used with the S-2E fuselage.  Kind of irritating to realize the problem this late in the game but there is always an option to do this again with the S-2E kit (in the stash) and learn from the mistakes I have made with this project. 

So the revised bomb load is more likely going to be six 500-pound bombs in two rows of three (2 X left, 2 X right, and 2 X center) within the bomb bay.  Torpedo carriage is no longer an option due to length of the bomb bay and that in turns means the fictional designation would become SBF (Scout Bomber Grumman) instead of BTF (Bomber Torpedo Grumman).

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2022, 07:33:18 PM »
A Bomb-Grumblie! Cool! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 10:45:01 AM »
A Bomb-Grumblie! Cool! 8)

That is the plan.  :smiley:

Four to six bombs in the bomb bay (500-pound size) plus three stores pylons under each wing for six HVAR or small bombs. 
Still undecided on whether to add some gun packages to the sides of the fuselage.  I have some package guns from the B-25 and B-26 and either will work with the additional benefit of the "cool factor" to consider. 

I had to go back and remove the majority of the details that I had added to the bomb bay after discovering there was a significant lack of symmetry between the left and right sides of the fuselage halves.  I will blame it on being late at night and tired eyes for the minor set back.  I only discovered this cock up while trying to add in some support beams for the bomb racks and discovered my error.  Better to find it now than later when it is all assembled.   

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2022, 12:48:37 AM »
 Should be interesting-the Tracker is an attractive twin. Sorry to hear about the symmetry issue, but it sounds like you've sorted it out ok.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2022, 08:31:44 AM »
Should be interesting-the Tracker is an attractive twin. Sorry to hear about the symmetry issue, but it sounds like you've sorted it out ok.
Measure thrice, cut once is becoming my new mantra with this project.  All of the work previously done to the fuselage has now been removed along with the cockpit rear bulkhead to begin again anew.  There were far too many variables being introduced with the bomb bay and bulkheads that were all starting to work against me.  Add to that the liberal use of liquid cement in some areas on the inside of the fuselage has now morphed the Kinetic plastic to an odd rubbery substance that is almost like a half-cured putty.  This is turning into an expensive endeavor and from these mistakes I can shift my focus to a second Tracker kit that has the longer fuselage and larger bomb bay from the start so maybe it is a win after all this plus I now have spare Tracker parts to spread around.  Turns out the Tracker propeller is a perfect match for the HobbyCraft 1/48th scale Otter and the tail from the Tracker could end up on another aircraft that would benefit from switching from a twin tail to a single tail.  I am going to let this sit for a couple of days while I dwell on my mistakes and try to not repeat the same with the second Tracker kit.  One lesson learned from this so far is that this whole idea was a lot easier to do in 1/72nd scale where the important details can be dealt with by a good coat of paint.   

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2022, 09:28:13 AM »
Excellent work Jeff, what a terrific start!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates