Author Topic: F-86E x La-200B - nasal reconstructions  (Read 3998 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
F-86E x La-200B - nasal reconstructions
« on: July 08, 2022, 02:26:33 AM »
Just started tonight.

Finally got around to clearing my workspace enough to be able to do something a little different.

Title says it all, really; I'm just swapping the nose sections between an Italeri 1/48 F-86E Sabre & the A&A Models 1/72 La-200B

I've got the noses pretty-well done, except for packing gaps & PSR, but I'll do that once they're fitted. In the meantime I have the cockpits to do & to get the fuselages together, which is probably not as easy as it seems as the La-200B is a short-run kit with NO locating lugs, while the locating lugs on the F-86E are so SMALL & FRAGILE that I've already broken half of them off.

Pic's when I get around to them.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: F-86E x La-200B - nasal reconstructions
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 05:53:15 AM »
Colour us intrigued! Very cool concept  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 01:57:36 AM »
Ri-ight ..... A bit slow on the pic's here. :-[

However, I excuse myself by saying that, so far, most of you should be vaguely familiar with the general cut-&-shunt work that has been going on.

Hopefully, within the next day or two (COVID & wife permitting), I should be able to give you the base fuselage assemblies .....

Hopefully. ::)

[Teaser: I have taped the parts together & I've come to the surprising conclusion that the incredible attractiveness of the F-86 generally over-rides the incredible ugliness of the La-200B! :icon_surprised:]
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 09:26:19 AM »
WiP photo's;

F-86NJ (Nose Job):

Has a Mil(l)house vibe (courtesy of zenrat's La-200B build) ... with mumps ... but overall I think she looks pretty good. ;D

La-200NJ (Nose Job):

Overall, much nicer looking! :thumbsup:

However, the shorter nose will require a change to the power plants in the backstory.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 12:17:54 PM »
Excellent start Guy!

The La-200 is the real beneficiary here but, as you predicted, your F-86NJ is faaar better looking than the original Lavochkin  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 04:38:53 PM »
Several rounds of PSR later & I think I'm nearing the end.

I've lost quite a bit of the panel detail in certain areas, so I'll probably need to do a bit of work to fix that up, then I'll post pic's when the final primer coats are on.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 09:31:48 PM »
Just because I want to in-service them with a less common user;

Does anyone know the colours used on the Finnish Drakens? ???

Or, would my SMS paints Camo Green and Forest Green* with US Medium Grey** undersides suffice?

Or I could try to get some Dark Green G4 or I have Foliage Green in the Paint Stash, but I don't think that last is a good match for anything.

[*: My bottle of Forest Green looks significantly darker than the image.]

[**: My bottle of US Medium Grey is somewhat less "blue" than the image.]

Offline apophenia

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2022, 05:02:04 AM »
Guy, I'm pretty sure that the Ilmavoimat Draken were painted in the same colours as Flygvapnet aircraft. If correct, those colours would be:

Dark Olive Green 328M = Mörkt Olivgrön (Dark Olive Green)
-- akin to FS 34086 Green Drab and/or FS 34052 Dark Olive/Marine Corps Green

Dark Blue 438M - Mörkblå (Dark Blue)
-- akin to FS 35042 Non-Specular Sea Blue and/or FS 35045 Dark Blue

Blue-Grey 058M = Blågrå (Blue-Grey) undersides
-- akin to FS 34079 (Forest Green) and/or FS 36314 Light Grey/Barley Grey

Maybe perttime could confirm and give us the Finnish names for those colours?

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2022, 05:15:45 AM »
Nice looking whiffers.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2022, 04:19:57 PM »
Blue-Grey 058M = Blågrå (Blue-Grey) undersides
-- akin to FS 34079 (Forest Green)

I find that connection a bit weird, as FS34079 is the Forest Green I posted below. :-\

I think I'll go with the Dark Green G4 & US Olive Drab that I purchased today.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2022, 08:53:10 PM »
Last night I got about half the re-scribing of the panel lines on the La-200 done, looks like I may be the Phantom Trench Digger. :o

Try to get the rest done tonight. :-\

Will do a bit of re-scribing on the F-86, but not too much, as it will be in a camo scheme while the La-200 is going to be shiny. ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2022, 02:01:01 AM »
Well, wouldn't you know it, apophenia has assisted me in working out the markings of these aircraft, & he doesn't even know it! 8)

All due to the "Suoemen Ilmavoimat 2-letter aircraft codes" list he was researching on Secret Projects Forum back in 2013. :smiley:

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2022, 02:14:02 AM »

Your F-86/La-200 nose job reminds me of the actor Karl Malden.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2022, 10:29:54 AM »
Yep, I can see that! :D

It (& the La-200B it comes from) have reminded others of Milhouse Van Houten from The Simpsons:

;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2022, 10:38:17 AM »
By the way!

The builds are pretty much done (except for insignificant little bits like air brakes, landing gear & stores), & are primed & have had (probably pointlessly, the way I paint) pre-shading added.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2022, 07:00:20 PM »
SMS Metallic Aluminium down on the La-200B.

Much to my surprise the pre-shading has worked! Very subtle but, from the right angles, visible; which is a win, in my book! :smiley: :smiley:

A couple more metallics to go & a splash of white & black, plus a gloss coat, & the airframe is done, just the bits'n'bobs to go. Still waiting for the transfers/decals to arrive from the UK.

The F-86 is just about to accompany me out to the garage to have its first camo colour applied. Fingers crossed that this goes as well! [Why is there no "praying" emoji? It'd be the most frequently used one here!]

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2022, 07:01:07 PM »
The F-86 is just about to accompany me out to the garage to have its first camo colour applied. Fingers crossed that this goes as well! [Why is there no "praying" emoji? It'd be the most frequently used one here!]

So far: So good! :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2022, 02:10:07 AM »
This is a great project - that LA-200 nose doesn't help improve the looks of the F-86, or any plane.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2022, 08:35:19 PM »
Still waiting for the transfers/decals to arrive from the UK.

This is no longer the case. Arrived in the Post Office Box this morning & collected at 1100hrs, en route to work.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2022, 11:59:47 PM »
Valmet OY Lentokonetehdas (Valmet Aircraft Factory) Peitsi (Lance)

More commonly known as the Papukaijan Nokka (Parrot Beak) by the personnel working with & flying them .... [I'm still working on the backstory!]

Note: If you look really carefully you may be able to see the results of the attempted pre-shading on the right wing (left in the image) in a lighter shade on the ailerons & flaps, & the last full wing panel being very slightly darker.

[NB: Excuse the Finnish, if it's wrong, it's from Google Translate]

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2022, 12:00:49 AM »
Valmet OY Lentokonetehdas (Valmet Aircraft Factory) Kalpa (Sword)

More commonly known as the Pitkä Nenä (Long Nose) by the personnel working with & flying them .... [I'm still working on the backstory!]

And how could I not? ;)

[NB: Excuse the Finnish, if it's wrong, it's from Google Translate]

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2022, 12:01:23 AM »
Obviously there's still much work to be done but I'm pretty happy with where I'm at (especially given the issues with the metallics on the Peitsi (Lance).

Next will come a gloss coat & either decals or washes, not sure which, yet.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2022, 01:12:58 AM »
Maybe call it "Millhouse" in Finnish? Google translate says "Myllytalo"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2022, 01:53:25 AM »
Maybe call it "Millhouse" in Finnish? Google translate says "Myllytalo"

Could do that but, then, I'd be stealing zenrat's idea.

That plus the fact that the backstories for these aircraft put them in the early 1950's era, about 35 years before Milhouse became a thing (1988).

Offline apophenia

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2022, 04:04:35 AM »
Colour scheme is looking great on your Pitkä Nenä  :smiley:

BTW: Glad to be of assistance with the 2-letter codes. Back in 2013, intuition just told me that you'd be doing this build in the future  ;)