Author Topic: Ryan PT-20  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
Ryan PT-20
« on: October 16, 2022, 11:14:39 AM »
Hi all

Decided to build this as I have got myself into a bit of a rut and needed a challenge.

I have also recently purchased some elasticated rigging wire to try out and thought this would be an ideal test aircraft.

Sorry no constructional pics as i have been doing this on and off for about four months.

This is an old High Planes Models limited run kit (400 max I think) and I probably had around the 360th as there was a lot of flash and deformation at the edges. Nonetheless less after a  good clean up it went together pretty well with only  the wing fuselage joint requiring filler.

The instructions warn you about this in a somewhat direct way.

It made me chuckle.

The decals are a bit thick and fragile. They did not take a lot of manhandling, however copius amount of Microsol got them to lay down.

The rigging wire is very fine in 1/72 scale and just on the edge of my vision with a  x1.5 magnifier on my glasses which made it very fiddley to install.

One UTube video bill's this as the easy way to rig a model but I found it every bit as challenging as stretched sprue, to be fair to the man he was working in 1/48th scale with a thicker guage wire so i can forgive him a littl bit.

Was it worth it ?       

Absolutely yes the rigging  looks finer and more in scale and because it has some "give" you are less likely to break it whilst handling the model.

Anyway here's the completed kit. .....

All comments or criticisms gratefully accepted , as always

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Ryan PT-20
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 03:17:52 PM »
I use E.Z. Line rigging line for all the aerials on my aircraft because it's easy & because of that stretch.

I've "plucked" a few of those aerials whilst moving/handling the aircraft I have it on & nary a single breakage or floppy wire! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2022, 12:39:10 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 12:48:53 AM »
Wow! That came out beautifully! Did you use the rigging line from the NAZI girl company?

As Brian would say, "nice spats!"

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2022, 01:41:17 AM »
This came out quite nicely. Having built a few short run kits over the years, I'm glad it came out as good as it did. Rigging still daunts me, even with magnifiers-my fingers have neve been especially nimble.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2022, 06:32:07 AM »
 :smiley:  I found working on a 1:1 scale PT-20 hard enough ... I gave up on the 1/48th scale one  :-[

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2022, 07:26:24 AM »
Very nice! The EZ-Line is pretty good, but I wish they made it in silver, to better represent aircraft wire. I haven't tried painting it yet, maybe that would work.
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2022, 09:19:16 AM »
Thanks guys

It is EZ line i've used, this was also a test piece for my next build challenge which will be a  Bristol Boxkite  in 1/48th scale. I'll definatly be purchasing a reel of thicker wire for this.

Then perhaps on to a Heyford, i'm a glutton for punishment ;D

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............