Author Topic: GAZ 39371 Vodnik pickup - 1/35  (Read 3944 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: GAZ 39371 Vodnik pickup - 1/35
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2022, 02:04:41 AM »
You should be able to spray acrylics indoors, especially if you get a spray booth like this or make a similar one; just put the exhaust hose in a window. The filters (it's a two layer furnace style filter, but you can use a carbon based one as well) are very effective at trapping paint particles and droplets. Very little if any smell gets past it (although I still use a mask to spray paint).

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2022, 08:29:22 AM »
Getting there - most of the small bits are on; next is some light weathering and fixing paint issues (like the tires)

Rear view - I knocked the pickup module off. Trumpeter made some odd choices with the clear parts and lights. Parts that should have been clear were in gray plastic and others that should have been solid in clear:

I used the Hasegawa interference plastic on the periscopes. The prisms didn't fit well. I modified the headlights - I removed the IR lights, added clear lenses (from the Lindberg Lunar Lander)and re-attached the IR gear:

I have to clean up some paint issues on the sides; still, this is close to what I envisioned. I may add a small telescope and other optics to the roof. I tried an M151 CROWS and it just looked wrong, even with a Mk. 19 grenade launcher. Trumpeter also made a strange (and poor) choice for the wheel attachments. The wheels have a poly cap that lets the tires roll freely.  This is then connected to a plastic plate that glues onto a small attachment point. Keeping the wheels aligned was a chore:

« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 08:31:24 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2022, 08:52:36 AM »
Like this work, practical design and great modelling.

Just the vehicle to the the guys who are "in the rear with the gear" closer to where it is needed

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2022, 09:59:31 AM »
In the home stretch now. I repainted the cargo area and added reinforcing ribs to the interior:

The crew compartment is a little wonky because I didn't press it down all the way. The crew hatches are just held in place by friction. The latches are from the Stryker bits in the M151 kit. The forward camera is a modified periscope (also from the M151 kit). It has an anti reflection coating:

I took it outside to get a some pictures in the late afternoon Sun. The weathering is pretty minimal and I'll probably keep it that way:

It has a satin coat but for some reason it looks glossy in some of those pictures. It looks fine in normal light. Still to add is some cargo. The bored guy is at his post inside the crew compartment, but I couldn't keep the side hatch open.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2022, 10:05:31 AM »
Looking great Frank!  Will be an ideal asset for the annual iron harvest.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Nice...
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2022, 10:52:03 AM »
...UAV defense systems would do nicely, shotguns fending off anti-personnel explosive-laden nano drones; no cutsey doll prizes, pray time scramming for cover :o
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 10:54:08 AM by Retired In Kalifornia II »

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2022, 02:32:39 AM »
Gopnik on the driver's side looks like he's relieving himself in the corner.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2022, 07:24:17 AM »
Gopnik on the driver's side looks like he's relieving himself in the corner.

Big night. Big hangover. Can't find the rear gate. Lucky it's not #2's. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2022, 09:09:56 AM »
Urinating Gopnik has volunteered to go to front lines in Ukraine. As is - no weapons, body armor or helmet. Just a bottle of vodka.

I think I'm done with this (at least for now).

Comrade Bezos has made an appearance. The upper hatches are still just friction fit, so they're wonky. Typical for Russian hardware, so accurate.:

The manual pump for the 50 gallon/200 liter fuel tank is scratch made:

Thanks for following along!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2022, 12:49:08 PM »
Fantastic job, Frank! Really like it; it looks the part! :smiley: :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2022, 07:55:20 PM »
Terrific job! The two different types of camo looks great!

Verlinden has a 1/35 set with one soldier doing #1 and another doing #2.
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/verlinden-productions-1472-things-do--140515

Bravo-6 also has a 1/35 soldier doing #1.
https://archive.armorama.com/review/13262/index.htm

There are other 1/35 figures doing #1 but don't want to overwhelm you with them all :smiley: :smiley: