Author Topic: Lockheed P-7B Aurora  (Read 2655 times)

Offline RayS

• Occasional Whiffer
Lockheed P-7B Aurora
« on: May 08, 2022, 10:32:43 AM »
Thanks to Old Wombat for allowing this one into the GB, it was started back in 2018 and I have decided to try and finish it now. There is still a fair bit of work to go with tidying up dodgy putty work.

From Wiki:

The P-7 was designed as an enlarged version of the original P-3C. The fuselage, of similar cross-section to that of the P-3, was lengthened by 2.40 m (8 ft), and the wingspan by 2.10 m (7 ft). The wing center section was increased in length, which moved the engines farther away from the fuselage to reduce noise levels in the cabin. The tailplane was increased by about 25% in area, but shortened in height compared to that of the P-3. The P-7A was to be powered by four General Electric T407-GE-400 turboprops with 5-blade propellers.

Initial plans included the Update IV electronics equipment of the P-3C. The cockpit was to be fitted with eight CRT displays and a stowable HUD for weapons delivery. Other equipment included search radar, MAD, decoy flare launchers, electro-optical detector, radar warning receivers, IR suppression on the engine exhausts and laser deflection screens on the windows. The primary submarine detection sensor was to be the sonobuoy, of which 112 were carried internally; 38 more could be stowed for in-flight reloading. Another 150 could be carried in 10 underwing pods.

The design had an internal bomb bay for a maximum of 3,400 kg of weapons and 12 underwing pylons.

My build consists of 2 kits cut up to give the increase in length and span, I had to make compromises with the engines as no General Electric T407-GE-400 turboprop engines are available, so I am using a spare set of RR AE2000s for a C-130J. The 5 bladed props were made using the AE2000 prop hub and redrilling the prop blade positions to allow for 5 rather than 6 blades. All bar one of the original blade mounting point was filled. The engines were modified to install them upside down. The rudder has been removed and replaced with a longer chord replacement and the vertical stab cut down. I also had to extend the horizontal stabs.

The next major change is the low IR signature exhausts which are flat at the trailing edge of the engine cowl. I reprofiled the rear part of the cowling by cutting them down and made a new flat 'roof' with card. I also replaced the wingtips with the CP-140 tips supplied in the kit. The ail was also shortened as no MAD boom is present. I cut about 15mm off and blanked it with card and rounded it off with Milliput. This still needs to be reshaped.

The final major mod is the wing/fuselage section in the lower fuselage with is more 'boxed' than the P-3. I used card and Milliput to get the basic shape. When the Milliput hardens I will refine the shape.

Since there are no images of the aircraft (only artists impressions) I will add a few lumps, bumps, antenna, and EWSP sensors to my liking.

Still deciding on a scheme, thought the white I like and may make it a USN Naval Research Labs test bird.

I am calling it a 'B' model due to the different engines and props, a natural progression from the A model IMHO :-)

Some of the work done over the years

And as it stands at the moment

Ray

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Lockheed P-7B Aurora
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 10:22:50 PM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 01:47:46 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 04:32:54 AM »
Great stuff!

Substituting inverted AE2000s from the Herk J was a great solution for the 'missing' T407s. And nice work on converting the props to 5-bladers  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline RayS

• Occasional Whiffer
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 09:23:41 AM »
Thanks, gents

Some weapon pylons added
Ray

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 06:02:13 AM »
I like the work so far. Great mods

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 07:55:43 AM »
“Fascinating!” Said a certain Vulcan.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 02:11:09 AM »
Both P-3s are 'projects'.   Great plastic surgery.   Congratulations on successful mods from 6 to 5 blade props.  :smiley:

Offline Kerick

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2022, 12:08:00 PM »
Any progress lately? I'd love to see this one in paint. Maybe that dark grey the Canadians use.

Offline RayS

• Occasional Whiffer
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2022, 07:24:10 AM »
Well, I  did not progress this any further, hope to get more done soon.
Ray

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2022, 06:21:25 PM »
Do you want it moved to the Aero-space thread, Ray? ???
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline RayS

• Occasional Whiffer
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2022, 07:02:58 PM »
Do you want it moved to the Aero-space thread, Ray? ???

Yes please, I'll get back to it soon.

Sorry for the slow reply, have been tripping halfway across the country this last week.
Ray

Offline Kerick

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2022, 11:40:53 PM »
I’m looking forward to seeing more of this build!

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2022, 05:19:48 AM »
hope to get more done soon.
Please do, this looks so right! What a thing of beauty!

I'm guessing the pylons between engines two and three are for "droppables" only?
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline RayS

• Occasional Whiffer
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2022, 03:03:47 PM »
hope to get more done soon.
Please do, this looks so right! What a thing of beauty!

I'm guessing the pylons between engines two and three are for "droppables" only?

I hope to get back to it soon, an AP-3C, CP-140, and C-130J are in the queue at the moment.

Those pylons were for everything I think

Ray

Offline IJ001

• Long time What if builder and Grumpy Old(er) Man
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2022, 05:36:33 AM »
This looks fantastic - hope to see it finished.

Ian.
Still building, still grumpy.

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2022, 03:58:26 AM »
The P7 looks like what the P3 should've looked like! Terrific work!

Offline RayS

• Occasional Whiffer
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2023, 12:43:06 PM »
This one is still on the back burner, and some work has taken place since the last update. I have been refining some shapes and actually managed to get the props painted.

My next task (when I free up space on the bench) is to add all those lower fuselage sonobuoy tubes. 112 of them if I use the above image as a reference.
Ray