Author Topic: 1/35 BJ212 off-road - FINISHED  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/35 BJ212 off-road - FINISHED
« on: April 22, 2022, 10:44:15 AM »
I like the UAZ-469 but there were no good models of it until Trumpeter released one. So instead, I collected three Trumpeter BJ212 kits (which are pretty cheap); the BJ212 was a slightly modified UAZ-469. It's a quaint little vehicle and oob looks... meh.
I also started a Military Wheels UAZ-469; it's a rough, primitive kit that required a lot of scratchbuilding. I was almost at the paint stage when the Trumpeter UAZ-469 came out.

This is one of the Trumpeter BJ212 kits made into a beefier off-road vehicle by using some of the MW UAZ-469 parts. The Trumpeter BJ212 is pretty nice for a 20 year old kit. In this picture, the front fender is from the UAZ-469; the original BJ1212 fender looks like it would crumple if it hit a fly. I also added a PE mesh to the cabin floor:

Here it is so far; some of the parts are loose or missing, but it's almost ready for weathering.
The original tires were pretty underwhelming, so I substituted the beefier tires from the UAZ-469 kit and they fit well. The MW wheels/rims were just somewhat circular lumps of plastic, so I went with the Trumpeter parts. I added the spare from the MW kit  to the hood, Land Rover style. The colors look like those from the Ukrainian flag, but that's unintentional; I wanted the yellow to be more orange and the blue darker... but I'm not repainting:

I removed the PE from the floor and it left a nice pattern. The antenna mount may be from the ever bountiful AFV Club M151 remote weapons station. I replaced the rear bench seat with two seats from an Italeri HMMWV. Both seats and the front seats are loose in this picture:

I replaced the rear fender bumpers with brass strips that I cut from a PE set frame - they were just the right width:

I added two small handles to manually move the windshield wipers, if needed. They're made from sprue attachment points from another kit:

I added a PE mesh in front of the radiator. The side mirror is another gift from the AFV Club M151:

Next up is gluing down the loose bits, adding a few missing parts and start weathering.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 10:36:37 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: 1/35 BJ212 off-road
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 10:53:06 AM »
Well done Frank! 

Your Russian Range Rover is looking really nice in that paint scheme. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 11:18:09 AM »
Well done Frank! 

Yup! +1 :smiley:

Your Russian Range Rover is looking really nice in that paint scheme. 

More like a Land Rover, than a Range Rover, but point made. ;) :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 11:24:20 AM »
Thanks, guys. It does look like a Chinese knock off of a Russian copy of the Land Rover. The 路虎/"Земля Вездеход"

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 01:14:27 AM »
 It does look like a nifty little bus. The ground clearance in the front would be especially good for off-road. Nice build, Frank.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2022, 03:56:01 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2022, 01:21:20 PM »
I started weathering and I think it looks better clean. Oh well...

The larger tires do give it more clearance - it's supposed to be an off-road vehicle, so I don't know why the Chinese gave the BJ212 such wimpy tires.

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022, 11:54:09 PM »
Another great job. It sort of looks like it would be the caricature or super deformed version of a Land Rover.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 12:43:38 AM »
Wow - no kidding! That cartoon gives me an idea, too.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2022, 10:29:50 AM »
I cut the soft cover and used some sprue to replicate the cartoon that Ramba posted; I'm not sure if I'll keep it - the side windows don't fit well, but it looks cute:

This is most of the weathering. I took the delicate air filter off, and also managed to knock the spot lamp back:

This image shows the instrument panel. The front seats are loose and are only held up by thin plastic rods, so they flop around everywhere:

I'm working on two figures and some cargo, so i should be done soon.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
Re: 1/35 BJ212 off-road - FINISHED
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022, 11:08:18 AM »
I finished the vehicle today by adding a figure and a dog, plus some cargo.

Front view:

The figure is mainly the waving guy from the ICM Soviet Motorized Infantry set (ak Soviets vacationing in Afghanistan, kit #1) with a resin right hand and a head from the Academy 1/35 French Foreign Legion set. He looks disturbingly like Jeff Bezos. The dog is from a DML set:

"Dude, you really look like that guy...". The BJ212 with the UAZ469 tires looks much taller:

It can hold a fair amount of cargo. The various items are mostly from a Meng equipment set. One of the red gas tanks is obviously newer than the other... The small backpack with the bear (for the dog, of course) is from the Master Box "Splinter" kit (here's my build of her). The large backpack is a nicely detained resin part that Jeff sent me:

Here's all the cargo, dog and Jeff Bezos:

Overall it was a fun build. Thanks for following along!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 11:10:22 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2022, 02:07:43 PM »
Good stuff, Frank! 8)

I'm trying to figure out if the dog's all "Hey, boss, can I get out, too?" or "Get yer dam' mitts off my Master's car ... mate!"
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 02:22:01 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2022, 02:36:41 PM »
Super nice Frank

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2022, 10:05:57 PM »
Another great build. And the weathering is just right.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2022, 11:30:02 PM »
So is he a Wagner guy or doing explorations National Geographic style for the Three C P One tv station?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2022, 11:53:57 PM »
If he was a Wagner guy, he'd probably have several laser sights on him. He's probably going out on a very long drive and hike with his dog.