Author Topic: RAAF Invaders  (Read 1373 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
RAAF Invaders
« on: March 08, 2022, 10:59:46 AM »
A quickie as the clock runs down ...

More Havoc for 1945 - RAAF Invaders

In January 1945, personnel from the RAAF's No. 22 Squadron relocated to Noemfoor Island in the Dutch East Indies for conversion training. There, No. 22 re-equipped with Douglas Invader B.Mk.IIs - releasing the Douglas Bostons that the unit had operated since April 1942. As before, the primary emphasis would be on low-level attack missions flown from Morotai Island.

'Gerringong Gertie' (DU-D, A45-18) [1] was lost in Geelvink Bay on 10 July 1945. 'Gertie' was returning 'engine out' from flak damage suffered while attacking Japanese shipping in the Celebes Sea. When the remaining engine overheated, the Invader had to be ditched.

No. 22 Squadron was also expected to perform a high-speed reconnaissance role. To that end, the Squadron received a handful of Invader PR.Mk.IIIs. To maximize performance, these recce aircraft were stripped down to bare metal. Markings were also kept to a bare minimum. [2] Recce Invader A45-24 is unusual in lacking underwing roundels. She also features a flat black anti-glare panel (where, more usually, these were painted in Foliage Green).

[1] A45 had been the serial for impressed Ford Trimotors (A45-1 out of service by 1943, A45-2 destroyed by bombing in 1942). This number was re-assigned for the pending arrival of the Invader in October 1944.

[2] Note that No.22 Sqn's recce Invaders carried individual aircraft letters but not squadron codes.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 11:25:23 AM by apophenia »
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: RAAF Invaders
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 12:22:31 PM »
Nice!  Especially the bomber version in the green. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 08:37:14 PM »
I was building an old Airfix Invader as a Foliage Green RAAF example.  One of the kids happened, not exactly sure of the mechanics but the box it was in ended up flying across the room and the Invader was one of the fatalities.

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 09:16:58 PM »
Invaders look good

Even better, I might like one with metal finish and gun nose.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 01:03:10 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 11:51:24 AM »
Thanks folks.

Even better, I might like one with metal finish and gun nose.

Me too perttime. And probably that is how they would have looked had the 'attack' Invaders continued in postwar RAAF service. My wartime dodge was that the unit was trying to squeeze every extra knot of speed out of the recce birds. That's how they got away with not wearing 'issue' Foliage Green   ;)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz