Author Topic: 1/35 8TP Polish tank - Finished  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/35 8TP Polish tank - Finished
« on: February 25, 2022, 12:25:22 PM »
Apophenia's post of a Polish 7TP with Czezch THN-S running gear motivated me to build a slight variant, using the Panzer 38(t) running gear on a Vickers 6 ton/T-26/7TP tank hull.

There are quite a few 6 ton kits out there, from the venerable (but still buildable) Eastern European family of 7TP kits (most recently from Mirage) to the more recent Hobby Boss T-26 kits. Since Apophenia shows a 7TP (which has a much higher rear deck) the choices were narrowed to the Mirage kits. Surprisingly, I don't have a 7TP single turret kit... but I have many of the variants. Mirage has gotten a lot of mileage by reboxing the old 7TP kits and adding or removing sprues for the extra bits. Their Vickers-Armstrong Mk F/45 Light Tank kit comes with parts to make the raised 7TP rear deck as well as the lowered 6 ton deck.

For the Panzer 38(t), I used the Hobby Boss Panzer Kpfw.38(t) Ausf.E/F because I have a second one coming in. It's a very nice kit and was originally produced by Tristar.

I thought I could use the Pz 38(t) sides with the Mk F/45 lower hull, but a quick comparison showed that I could use the Mk F/45 hull and just cut out the slots for the Pz 38(t) suspension, which was a quick job. The hull sides were warped, so i had to use a hair dryer on hot to bend it back into place before gluing the sides to the lower hull. I also removed the return roller attachments, which I'll reuse (or use the Pz (38t) parts).

The main wheels for the Pz 38(t) have been assembled - I just have to make sure the drive wheel and idler wheels line up with the Pz (38(t). So far it's been an easy mod, with just minor issues.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 10:15:36 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
Re: 1/35 8TP Polish tank
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 09:05:22 AM »
The Mirage kit is a very loose combination of parts that can make just about any variant of the Vickers - 7TP tanks; the molds are old as well, so there are going to be various fit problems. Not my first version of this kit - the only option is to mercilessly ben, heat, sand and glue until the hull is built.

Here's the 38(t) running gear mostly tacked on to the lower hull:

I removed the 7TP return rollers and filled the holes with sprue bits. The idler is missing because I thought I could modify the 7TP's idler wheel to match the width of the 38(t) tracks, and to match the drawing. The results weren't good. The wider wheel is OK, but just by luck, the gap between the spacer rods is just enough to grab onto the track's guide teeth. Also, there's no way of adjusting the track tension and I think I'll need to do that with this kit.

Instead, I went with the 38(t) return idler wheel, which gives a few mm worth of adjustment:

The Hobby Boss/ex-Tristar kit is really fantastic; the "working parts" are useful (like the idler wheel adjustment and the separate rubber tires for the road wheels) and the individual track links aren't advertised as being workable, but they click together nicely and firmly enough to make long runs that won't break. The suspension works as well (hence the weird wheel angles).

Here's a front/top view. I'll putty the hull and fix any obvious issues before I glue on the running gear:

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2022, 09:53:10 AM »
 :smiley :smiley: :smiley::
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 06:12:47 PM »
 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 05:37:17 AM »
Wow ... this is impressive work Frank! (And always humbling to see the styrene wrangling needed compared with pixel-pushing.)

I love that 'working' suspension. Any chance of a diorama base to show off those moveable road wheels? Hint, hint ... ;)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2022, 07:23:25 AM »
I am inspired.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2022, 08:31:33 AM »
This is coming along although I may have to fix some of the camo overspray:

The rivets on the turret are Archer resin rivet decals. I didn't add all the ones it needs, though:

The tracks are flimsier than I'd hoped, but I glued most. They're in natural plastic right now, which looks OK. I'll use washes and highlighting to make them look more metallic. The barrel is shiny, but that'll get toned down later:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 01:28:05 AM »
Nice
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2022, 04:38:38 AM »
That intermeshed idler just looks so... Czech.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2022, 05:54:58 AM »
I tried keeping the idler track tension adjustment loose... but it couldn't hold the track tension. The original Mirage track tensioning for the 7TP would have worked really well... but it pushed the (38t) idler out of line with the wheels.

So I guessed at how many links I would need and glued the idler in place. I could probably swing it out more and add a few links, but don't wan to jinx the tracks; they get more fragile the more links I add.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2022, 10:06:00 AM »
Unless you intend playing with it ;) , I'd set up the suspension & idlers then glue the tracks to make "link-&-length" sections with inbuilt sag*.

Nice work, by the way! :smiley: 8)

[*: You probably know this better than I do, but; don't use CA, use plastic cement, wait until it's almost set/cured/dried, then lay the track runs over the return rollers, tape them at the ends & use the handle ends of two paint brushes to gentle create the sags. Similar method for front & rear runs. Bottom run is either just laid out on the work bench or laid over a diorama base where you intend to put the tank.]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 10:07:31 AM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2022, 08:28:12 AM »
I've had to follow that procedure for 80% of the links. The links were sturdier than most other "movable" or "workable" tracks- especially those by Hoby Boss - but there's always one or two which are the literal weakest link and that starts a cascade.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2022, 10:15:20 AM »
Finished this. I ran out of steam trying to weather the tracks, so here's the tank, almost fresh out of the factory.

I made the running bull markings and the tank code on my printer:

"233" is the year and month:

The antenna is some picture hanging wire:

The machine gun is an MG 34 from an older Pz(38) build:

The groundwork is from Mig.

Thanks for following along!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 10:19:50 AM by Frank3k »

Offline apophenia

Re: 1/35 8TP Polish tank - Finished
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2022, 11:12:34 AM »
Frank: It sounds like the track links were a complete bear. But that is still a thing of beauty :smiley:

As for weathering, I'd guess that "fresh out of the factory" was about all the time the 8TPs would had before the panzers hoved into view!

Nice work on the paintwork and custom decals too! Brilliant job on the 'running bull' (a European bison that the Poles call a Żubr or Wisent).

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2022, 05:13:59 PM »
Finished product is excellent, Frank! Bravo! 8)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2022, 12:30:56 AM »
Am onboard with other comments.  Has overall just right look  :smiley:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2022, 02:40:18 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2022, 03:14:04 AM »
Thanks, guys and thanks to apophenia for the original idea!

I now have a ton of tank parts left over. The Vickers kit has many extra bits (even if you build the boxtop kit) and the Pz(38t) kit is almost complete except for the road wheels. I'll add them to the parts stash until I think of something to do with them. I could compine the 7TP/Vickers running gear with the Pz(38t) body or try something else.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2022, 06:08:26 AM »
... I could compine the 7TP/Vickers running gear with the Pz(38t) body or try something else.

Hmm, maybe ČKD builds a one-off prototype with Vickers suspension for comparison trials with the LT vz. 38?

Or ... perhaps Afghanistan chooses such a tank instead of the aborted, LT vz. 35-based T-11?