Author Topic: Supermarine Starling  (Read 1601 times)

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
Supermarine Starling
« on: February 14, 2022, 04:49:28 AM »
by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

Hypothetical entrant in a 1930s fighter competition, no weapons fitted. Been in a bit of a funk lately, so rather than bothering with filling every seam and hole and trying to get the finish as good as possible, I'm really just throwing things together in order to get them finished. As usual, it may get some touch-up later.

Model is the Airfix Supermarine S.6B, which I believe I may have originally built about 60 years ago. This was a few bucks at a local shop, so it was procured as a nostalgia build. Riiiight... The urge to whiff took over, so this was the result. Finish is AK Metallic paste in a tube, flat black primer underneath. Still not satisfied that it's as good as Rub n' Buff, but maybe I need more practise. Kit decals on the tail, unknown spares bin roundels. Rigging was done with EZ Line, took some practise but it seems easy enough to continue with.

Undercarriage frame and wheels from spares bin, ditto for underwing radiators, oil cooler, and tail skid. Canopy is a mystery, I believe it came with the 1/144th Mitsubishi Zero that I put an annnular wing on. (Zero, '0', get it? Bwaaaahahaha, I crack me up) It looked almost, but definitely not, like a tiny Hawker Hurricane canopy, but with no flat windscreen. The complete canopy looked too small for a pilot to turn their head inside of, so the front portion was sawed off and glued into place. The original Airfix solution was simply a solid bar of clear plastic that is supposed to represent the long and level one on the real aircraft, but it isn't very convincing. Just noticed that I neglected to carve off the original windscreen hump, so maybe that will get a hole drilled in front and a gun barrel installed.

Roundels got some cracks despite a couple of coats of decal varnish, I'll put that down to the aircraft being stored for years, and only discovered when Supermarine needed more more work space for production of the Royal Navy Swift, which is still on the bench. So that's 'maybe-possibly-could be' the back story if I write one.

The name Starling just kind of came to me. It's such a common bird that I'm surprised that the name hasn't yet been used for an aircraft, as far as I know. Corrections on that are welcomed, because I have this nagging feeling...

"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Re: Supermarine Starling
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 05:12:26 AM »
Would fit in any book of Supermarine Aircraft.

Nice work

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 06:17:29 AM »
Oohh! Me Likey Dat !!  Very nice . . .
I have a Frog / Novo S.6, was going to do something similar, but as a Racer . . .   ;) 
and you're right, the was a 'Starling', from Armstrong Whitworth, an unsuccessful development of the Siskin, see,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong_Whitworth_Starling

cheers,
Robin.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 06:20:27 AM by robunos »
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline The Rat

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 07:28:47 AM »
Oohh! Me Likey Dat !!  Very nice . . .
I have a Frog / Novo S.6, was going to do something similar, but as a Racer . . .   ;) 
and you're right, the was a 'Starling', from Armstrong Whitworth, an unsuccessful development of the Siskin, see,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong_Whitworth_Starling

cheers,
Robin.

Thanks, I knew there had to be one.
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Interesting Build...
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 11:05:13 AM »
...Supermarine S6B first flew coming up 91 years ago in 1931 when my late Dad was 12 years old. Built comparable 1/72 AIRLINES (FROG) S6B c.1990, separate semi-movable control surface parts Airfix kit me thinks didn't offer, neither were accurate but nonetheless decent kit builds.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 11:09:12 AM by Retired In Kalifornia II »

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 07:01:52 AM »
Looks goood !  :smiley: :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2022, 08:19:15 AM »
Very nice  :smiley:

... Just noticed that I neglected to carve off the original windscreen hump...

Isn't that hump the housing for the experimental reflector gun sight?

...The name Starling just kind of came to me. It's such a common bird that I'm surprised that the name hasn't yet been used for an aircraft, as far as I know...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong_Whitworth_Starling   ;)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline The Rat

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 10:25:58 AM »
Very nice  :smiley:

... Just noticed that I neglected to carve off the original windscreen hump...

Isn't that hump the housing for the experimental reflector gun sight?

...The name Starling just kind of came to me. It's such a common bird that I'm surprised that the name hasn't yet been used for an aircraft, as far as I know...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong_Whitworth_Starling   ;)

;)