Author Topic: Real World Wellington  (Read 1172 times)

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
Real World Wellington
« on: February 10, 2022, 01:55:44 AM »
Original Airfix issue, with original decals. Wellington BIII of Number 75 RNZAF Squadron. Despite a couple of coats of decals varnish some still cracked a bit, but it's done. I was originally going to send the decals to KiwiZac, but he said that I could probably put them to better use. He obviously holds my skills in higher esteem than I do!  ;D ;D  Anyway, to honour that most gracious decision, I completed the model in those colours. Might still do some touch-up here and there, but I say that after a lot of projects and then forget.

Would I do another? Sure, the kit is showing its age but it still builds up nicely, although I would make a few changes on another. In the hands of an expert (not me!) it wouldn't be a show-stopper, but it would definitely be a proud addition to a display shelf. The after-market decals that came with it would help, along with some shimming here and there. The landing gear doesn't seem complete, I haven't checked it against photos but it probably has more bracing than this model. The main gear can be left unglued and retracted, but since the gear doors aren't hinged the toy aspect is diminished. Ailerons are separate, and the props and wheels can be assembled to spin, and the turrets can rotate. Front and rear turrets are designed in such a way that the guns are supposed to be attached to the gunners, so if you don't want figures in it you'll need to come up with another way of securing them.

Not a kit for young'uns, there is a fair bit of filing and sharp-knife-dangerousness involved in things like widening the turret slots to allow the guns to fit through. or getting rid of excess plastic in some areas.

If you see one at a good price, and have a hankering for the Wimpy, give it a thought. At best you'll still have fun. At worst you won't worry about hacking at it for a whiffer!

by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 07:27:10 AM by The Rat »
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Real World Wellington
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 02:12:38 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 04:57:43 AM »
Nice work !

I've built one of these, not the easiest of kits  ::)

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Nice Build...
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 11:40:38 AM »
...One slapped together unpainted 1964, seconded slapdash painted & assembled 1966, hung from bedroom ceiling with Airfix Halifax III sans clear nose cap (missing from kit...grrrr) & all-black out-of-box Bf 110D "night fighter" till summer 1969 they & 16-so other models tossed before Dad had ceiling re-spayed with crinkled finish me thinks had asbestos :o this when bedded on top bunk, late brother below me, Dad asking beforehand whether I'd build & hang anymore models me answering nyet, me not building next model till 1977, third & final not-slapdash, scratch interior detailed Wellington built c.1990 it & 94 other models given away to twin sister's sister-in-law's son 1997 who may still have the critter.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 11:44:24 AM by Retired In Kalifornia II »

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 09:22:16 AM »
Rat, I don't know if I mentioned but Dad built me this kit when I was 10 or so. So it's especially touching to see you build her in 75Sqn's colours. Bravo!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 12:01:52 AM »
Rat, I don't know if I mentioned but Dad built me this kit when I was 10 or so. So it's especially touching to see you build her in 75Sqn's colours. Bravo!

Pleased to be of service!  ;)
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"