Author Topic: 1/35 Egyptian M-22 Locust  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/35 Egyptian M-22 Locust
« on: January 19, 2022, 10:01:44 AM »
Story sent me some images of an Egyptian M-22 Locust that appears to have the mantlet mounted upside down (some other captured Egyptian M-22s have the mantlet in the correct orientation). I bought the Bronco M-22 kit to build the tank - it's a tiny tank in 1/35. How hard can it be?

Here's the tank mantlet:

Flipping it around would sorta work, but for best effect, I would print a 3D copy "flipped" and dimensioned to fit the turret. I have the files for a 1:1 version, so I think I'll be able to print it soon.

Meanwhile... since this is a Bronco kit, there's a small but packed PE sheet with parts that could have easily been molded in plastic, but that wouldn't provide enough suffering. Also a Bronco trademark - tiny, tiny attachment points and instructions with very vague orientations for parts that require critical orientation...

This is two days work:

Thankfully the tracks are links and length, with only a few individual links at each end. I would have expected individual links with to-scale and critical connectors in PE:

I just finished gluing six 1mm long PE parts to the rear of the tank and noticed I need to add six more to the turret. Of course there are no locator marks anywhere...

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Re: 1/35 Egyptian M-22 Locust
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 02:06:39 PM »
You said Bronco and tiny vehicle. That means even tinier parts and sub assemblies ;D

Meanwhile... since this is a Bronco kit, there's a small but packed PE sheet with parts that could have easily been molded in plastic, but that wouldn't provide enough suffering. Also a Bronco trademark - tiny, tiny attachment points and instructions with very vague orientations for parts that require critical orientation...

I just finished gluing six 1mm long PE parts to the rear of the tank and noticed I need to add six more to the turret. Of course there are no locator marks anywhere...

After putting the Bronco Airborne jeeps together in intricate microscopic detail, I hear ya brother  :o

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 12:45:50 AM »
You said Bronco and tiny vehicle. That means even tinier parts and sub assemblies ;D

Yes! Many tiny plastic sub assemblies. There are two sub mm knobs that I managed to glue without losing, plus two equally small covers for the visor hinges that should have been molded in place...
What's particularly annoying about this kit is that some assemblies require precise positioning (drive wheel and idler) yet the locators are non-existent or in the case of the idlers - a nice, sharp square hole in the body ("oh great! This will make a secure joint and at the right angle!") while the mating pin is undersized and not quite square, so the whole assembly just wobbles in place until the glue sets.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 12:21:03 PM »
You have the patience of Job.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 01:07:05 AM »
Story sent me some images of an Egyptian M-22 Locust that appears to have the mantlet mounted upside down

Are you able to share the images?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 02:05:52 AM »
I'm wrong there - Story reminded me. It's an Egyptian M13/40 that has the Locust mantlet/gun.

The Egyptian M-22 (as a war trophy)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 11:21:32 AM »
This model is taking forever. I think it would take less time to put the 1:1 tank together with some wrenches and a small crane.

Sub-assemblies:

The 1/35 figure gives a sense of how small this model is.

Typical for Bronco - they giveth then they taketh away. The tracks are nice... but they have to go on before the side skirts/fender assemblies. And no, they can't be attached to the upper hull first (even though they fit perfectly) because they decided to make the firewall extend over the fenders. Arrg,
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 11:24:33 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Story

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 11:20:39 AM »

Are you able to share the images?

Stand by for a future build.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 11:53:06 AM »
Our long Bronco build is almost over... I used most - but not all - of the insanely small PE parts these pinheads included in their kit. The plastic parts are ridiculous as well - the driver's hatch has 9 parts; four of them 1mm or smaller.

JFC those headlight brush guards...

I trimmed the firewall so that I could attach the fenders to the upper hull. Stupid Bronco and their stupid love for over complicated builds. Some of the interior will be visible through the turret:

At least the paint job was relatively easy:

Ahmad, Mustafa and Kahled did an OK job painting their tank:

Still missing the exhaust bits and tools. Plus weathering and a small decal. I was thinking of adding a "shoot here!" Egyptian roundel to the turret, but alas, the Egyptians neglected to use one on their M22s.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 12:05:26 PM »
Good save on your Locust.  It came out looking so much better than the first WIP images were showing. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 12:17:48 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 08:09:47 AM »
This miserable POS of a kit is finished. The weathering didn't go as I'd planned, but it's good enough for Egyptian work. The number, "2201" is the year and month this was built (I guess it can also be read as "0122" same result)

The track is weathered - for some reason they look almost wet in these pictures. Maybe Ahmad, Mustafa and Kahled drove it through a puddle.

I'm giving the other Bronco kits in my stash a dirty look. I know I have one of their M1114s in the stash. Not looking forwards to that one.

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 08:29:04 AM »
That's a cool looking tank. You did a terrific job on it!

Can't wait to see what you do with the M1114.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 10:36:16 AM »
Great work Frank  :smiley:

Bronco have terrific subjects, but they do themselves no favours trying to max out the part count. Leave that to Ryefield and the like.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2022, 12:53:34 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline Story

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2022, 01:08:22 AM »
This miserable POS of a kit is finished. 
I'm giving the other Bronco kits in my stash a dirty look. I know I have one of their M1114s in the stash. Not looking forwards to that one.

1) Yeah, but you make everything look easy

2) The real ones where a Mil-Industrialist's con job and despised by the End Users, so you're good to go for Art imitating Life.
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/bronco-cb35092-m1114--134362

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2022, 02:03:33 AM »
That's the one. The instructions don't look terrible, but you can see all the unnecessary PE (visors in the cab, wheel well armor that could have been molded in, ditto with tiny PE on the sides of the rear seats)

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2022, 08:46:02 AM »
I was just reading about the Locust this morning, never mind where. ;) I had no idea the Egyptians had wound up with some, but it's a great looking build.

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2022, 08:10:49 AM »
Simply beautiful!  :-* :-*
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!