Author Topic: WHIF's found on internet  (Read 165810 times)

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
Re: WHIF's found on internet
« Reply #225 on: October 05, 2016, 03:50:46 PM »
Riddle me this:
I would have derived as an advanced and refined variant of a very original design and concept, which had a troublesome development time in terms of the services I was intended to serve, the politician's that decreed me, and the organisation that would design and build me.
I would have theoretically been cost effective, compared to my principle successor, as I was based on the modification of an existing built and operational aircraft!
With this modification, I would gain:
- length,
- weight,
- critically increase in range and weapons load,
- a new and more powerful and fuel efficient powerplant, which ironically, was designed to power the design, which would course my demise.
If I had of been built and put into operational service, ironically, I would have achieved the originally intended requirements, that my parent service intended!
My phonetic designation of the letter between 'G' and 'I' ialone would have distinctively separated my role and size from my brethren.
Sadly, if I had been approved by my service and political masters, I would have entered operational service in 1981-1984 time frame, at a forecast cost of at least $7 billion

Who or what would I have been? :P

M.A.D

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #226 on: October 05, 2016, 04:57:58 PM »
FB-111H:

Also seen here

I would love to have a go of modelling one some day.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 05:01:49 PM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline M.A.D

« Reply #227 on: October 05, 2016, 07:06:57 PM »
Correct in one!!

I stumbled across this amazing WhatIf model of an FB-111H, by a Kristopher Harvey
Unfortunately, I don't know him, but snapping duck shit I'm impressed!!

P.S. This design is one of those planes the U.S. stuffed up on not building or deploying  :(

M.A.D

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #228 on: October 06, 2016, 02:13:16 AM »
Scale?  Where did you find it?

P.S. This design is one of those planes the U.S. stuffed up on not building or deploying  :(

How did they stuff up?  I am sure it would be argued that the B-1B fulfilled the role needed.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 02:52:42 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline M.A.D

« Reply #229 on: October 06, 2016, 02:42:07 AM »
Don't get me wrong, the Bone is an awesome bomber - performance, range and payload..... But IMO, the FB-111H was half the price of the B-1B, could be fielded quicker, I'm assuming cheaper to operate, as a replacement for earlier limited capability FB-111A's, whilst resource and money could have been.put into the Carter initiated ATB! But that's just "my opinion". I'm thinking 80-100 x FB-111H's and 50-60 x B-1B's  ;)
USAF TAC get FB-111H's when B-2 come on line - U.S. Military retain the F-111H range and capability for the Afghan and Iraqi invasions!! Hell knows they could do with their range and loiter time!
Plus who knows, the Australia/RAAF might have considered upgrading/modifying its Pig's to F-111H's!!! I'm still allowed to dream here am I not?

M.A.D

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #230 on: October 06, 2016, 02:44:42 AM »
Riddle me this:
I would have derived as an advanced and refined variant of a very original design and concept, which had a troublesome development time in terms of the services I was intended to serve, the politician's that decreed me, and the organisation that would design and build me.
I would have theoretically been cost effective, compared to my principle successor, as I was based on the modification of an existing built and operational aircraft!
- length,
- weight,
- a new and more powerful and fuel efficient powerplant, which ironically, was designed to power the design, which would course my demise.
If I had of been built and put into operational service, ironically, I would have achieved the originally intended requirements, that my parent service intended!
My phonetic designation of the letter between 'G' and 'I' ialone would have distinctively separated my role and size from my brethren.
Sadly, if I had been approved by my service and political masters, I would have entered operational service in 1981-1984 time frame, at a forecast cost of at least $7 billion

M.A.D

Also this:

;D

M.A.D

Not really, the cold war ended by the late 1980s, the USSR dissolved by 1991, SAC soon there after, and the F-111Fs were all retired by 1996, followed by the EFs two years later. When the cold war ended it was just a matter of time for the F-111 in US service, which is true of a lot of aircraft actually. There was a huge "Mass retirement" as cold war platforms were removed from service. Most companies create "follow on designs" to pitch when the Military is looking for a new craft. Makes for great Whif Fodder! Most of them don't seem to get picked. Super Hornet was picked from the old Hornet 2000 proposal, but even then it took the F-14 replacement, and A-6 replacement tanking. (both of which had their own follow on designs like ST-21 and A-6F)

Lot of other 1980s designs were cut, curtailed, canceled or significantly slowed as well all across the world.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 03:03:35 AM by taiidantomcat »
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #231 on: October 13, 2016, 03:31:13 AM »
One going back to 2008:  Leopard C2A2-HR (Heavy Reconnaissance):

story and many more pictures (incl build pics) here.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #232 on: December 01, 2016, 01:56:14 AM »
The roundels aren't aligned properly, but otherwise I'm surprised at how "right" this looks. Maybe because it's generationally very close to the Viggen.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #233 on: December 01, 2016, 02:29:45 AM »
 :)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #234 on: December 01, 2016, 09:10:25 AM »
Yes,,,  I'm surprised at how "right" this looks.

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #235 on: December 27, 2016, 03:41:27 AM »
One of my annual "What would Santa fly?" models from ARC this year:
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal14/13901-14000/gal13936-I-16-Petrie/00.shtm

Alvis 3.1

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #236 on: December 27, 2016, 03:42:41 AM »
The other "What Would Santa Fly" model I posted on ARC this year:
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal15/14101-14200/gal14153-Caribou-Petrie/00.shtm

Alvis 3.1

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #237 on: December 28, 2016, 02:28:03 AM »

Online ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #238 on: December 31, 2016, 11:58:52 AM »
Good stuff, Alvis!  :)

The roundels aren't aligned properly, but otherwise I'm surprised at how "right" this looks. Maybe because it's generationally very close to the Viggen.

Looks very right indeed.
Kit-bash idea: Flogger fuselage with Viggen wings?  ??? EDIT: Posted a profile of that in the Flogger thread: LINK!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 01:19:15 PM by ChernayaAkula »
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #239 on: January 01, 2017, 02:55:35 AM »
It's obviously a Swedish Sk-38 (MiG-23B) - see here.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #240 on: January 01, 2017, 10:09:50 AM »
Riddle me this:
- length,
- weight,

M.A.D

Also this:

;D

M.A.D

Not really, the cold war ended by the late 1980s, the USSR dissolved by 1991, SAC soon there after, and the F-111Fs were all retired by 1996, followed by the EFs two years later. When the cold war ended it was just a matter of time for the F-111 in US service, which is true of a lot of aircraft actually. There was a huge "Mass retirement" as cold war platforms were removed from service. Most companies create "follow on designs" to pitch when the Military is looking for a new craft. Makes for great Whif Fodder! Most of them don't seem to get picked. Super Hornet was picked from the old Hornet 2000 proposal, but even then it took the F-14 replacement, and A-6 replacement tanking. (both of which had their own follow on designs like ST-21 and A-6F)

Lot of other 1980s designs were cut, curtailed, canceled or significantly slowed as well all across the world.

The F-111 was a real maintenance headache from the time it was introduced until retirement. My uncle worked at the Sacramento depot and could tell horror stories. To complex to start with with analog tech that no one person completely understood. Pile on different mods over the years, some analog and some digital And you get quite a mess. Don't get me wrong, one of my future projects is a modernized F-111. Just that it was time for cheaper and more capable aircraft to take over.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #241 on: January 05, 2017, 10:53:23 PM »
Here's one I found today on DeviantArt.

T60E3 Howitzer Motor Carriage by TheoComm on DeviantArt

The 152mm Howitzer Motor Carriage T60E3 is a self-propelled assault gun with a limited traversing turret designed to support infantry troops against enemy fortification.

Being introduced late into the war, several years after the design was first proposed, the T60E3 saw very little action over other more modern and more heavily armored self-propelled guns already in service. Mixed with using a specifically designed short howitzer round, the ones that did saw action did not see more than one sortie due to the scarcity of its munition.

Weight: 35.8 tonnes
Length: 6.56m
Width: 2.95m
Height: 3.01m
Maximum Speed: 45km/h

Main Armament: 1 x 6'' (152mm) L/15 howitzer
Secondary Armament:
1 x .50cal machine gun
1 x .30cal hull machine gun

Based off of the T69E3, an American tank destroyer in the game Panzer Front, a game I just recently discovered and completely in love with.

T60E3 Howitzer Motor Carriage by TheoComm on DeviantArt

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #242 on: January 06, 2017, 12:39:24 AM »
That's interesting! Thanks

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #243 on: January 06, 2017, 04:40:07 AM »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jetsonsspecial/sets/72157656963867425

From ARC's silly week. As a fan myasishchev's and of big Russian Weirdness in general I was enamored   :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #244 on: January 06, 2017, 10:20:35 AM »
USSR response to the B-51 !

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #245 on: January 07, 2017, 03:15:35 AM »

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #246 on: February 03, 2017, 04:00:42 AM »
Here are some great images of a 1/32 scale Special Hobby Heinkel He 100 that David Atkin made, inspired by my Marseille He 100 profile. He posted these to my Facebook wall.

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=144.msg38318#msg38318

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #247 on: February 07, 2017, 05:34:49 AM »
Here's one from the Missing Lynx forums:

Cheers,

Logan

Offline M.A.D

« Reply #248 on: February 10, 2017, 12:49:24 PM »
I recently stumbled across this hybrid Agusta A129B at http://heliweb.forumcommunity.net/?t=57245005
Frankly I love the concept!!
A few years ago I asked JP Vieira to do me a ramdition of a hybrid Agusta A129 Mangusta forward fuselage matted to a Westland Lynx 3 fuselage, power plant and rotor system, to create a Westernized 'Hind'
To my delight, VP come up with his great 'Panther' concept!

My latest interest in the notion of an Australian Army adoption of the A129 International and the A129/139 LBH as the winner for the Australian Army's 'Air87' competition in my Alternative ADF ORBAT has been further stimulated by this A129B profile!!
Although the rear cabin doors look somewhat out of proportion IMO.

M.A.D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 01:00:21 PM by M.A.D »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #249 on: February 18, 2017, 10:00:56 PM »
Kees Kuyper shared some images of his What-If Revell 1/72 Jet-Otter (Jotter?)at the Aircraft Resource Center that looks quite convincing with ARCAIR livery.  Click on html or the thumbnail image to view additional images at ARC. 

"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg