Author Topic: 1/35 Luchs/MLRS kit bash  (Read 10345 times)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: 1/35 Luchs/MLRS kit bash
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2019, 10:29:55 AM »
That's looking real nice and the turret placement seems functional.  This is going to look mean when finished.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2019, 12:33:59 PM »
It looks good. I'm sure the crew is happy that the cab is armored; the blast from the 30mm is probably going to leave a mark at low elevations.

What are you going to place in the rear?

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2019, 09:43:30 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

The rear of the ZTL upper hull will be extended with plastic card. It will be the same height and width to match the rest of the upper hull. The two cutouts on the right side of the ZTL upper hull will also get filled in with plastic card. Hobby Boss has PE for those two sections but seeing I am getting the replacement upper and lower hull parts for the Hobby Boss ZTL kit I will do the ZTL OOB once the replacement parts arrive. Well, my plan is to do it OOB hahahaha! I have a few ideas kicking about with a few other Hobby Boss PLA kits like the PTL-02, ZBD-04 and ZBL-09.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2019, 12:36:16 AM »
Looking good
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2019, 05:15:48 AM »
Concept of configuration of models and parts is tops.  :smiley:

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2019, 11:35:16 PM »
This is looking very cool.

One comment, it does have the look of a lot of the low-cab, heavy-crane chassis out there or that cool look of an aircraft tow vehicle, but with the cab so far forward and so low, the ability to climb an obstacle or handle rough terrain will be severely limited. Maybe move the cab back by cutting back the area behind the doors?

Just some thoughts from the engineering side of the house.

In looks, it's really cool, it just suffers, as ,many cool looking things do, from a bit of impracticality. Just throwing it out there.

Still, it does have a serious Gerry Anderson look going for it...

;)

Paul

Offline Ramba

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2019, 01:38:30 AM »
Thanks again for the comments.

I tried different locations for the cab. If I put it on top it is too high and looks top heavy. It will more than likely topple over. Having it forward and lower is the best position I came up with plus it has a lower center of gravity. Unfortunately I can't cut much from the cab itself as it will interfere with the seats. I am however notching the lower corners of cab 45 degrees by the front wheels to give it more clearance.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2019, 10:35:07 AM »
I think that will look cool. Carry on!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2019, 11:45:47 AM »
I think I like the AFV M1128 MGS 105mm turret better than the Revell SPz Puma 30mm turret.

Here is the SPz Puma turret.

Here is the M1128 MGS turret.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2019, 11:53:34 AM »
Nice example of plastic card stock work.  Like whole concept of this build. :smiley:
Keep going.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2019, 06:06:07 PM »
Either/or, they both look good. :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2019, 12:39:18 AM »
Yep, they both look like viable options on that hull.

Mind, that IFV turret may imply that the vehicle is more of an infantry vehicle that could then use firing ports and squad egress ramps to really sell the idea, otherwise it's a lot of vehicle for that turret.

The larger gun turret works as is, the vehicle being about the right size for just that gun system. Or an equivalent manned turret, like the Centauro or AMX-10RC, etc.

If you like the IFV turret (and I do a bit more than the MGS turret) then perhaps a bit more scratchbuilding of retracted masts with sensors can sell it as a dedicated electronics surveillance/recce asset. Then the hull size makes perfect sense with the turret for self defence only. The two notches in the starboard side hull would make good places for the retracted sensor masts. It could also simplify fairing in that starboard side to the MLRS cab.

Just some thoughts...

Paul

Offline Ramba

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2019, 01:32:52 AM »
Nice example of plastic card stock work.  Like whole concept of this build. :smiley:
Keep going.

Thanks! It's still pretty rough. I have to trim, fill and sand the plastic card. I haven't done that yet as I still need to add more plastic card in a  few areas and I have to build the bottom of the cab and blend into the lower hull/frame. Once I get the final layout (which right now will be the MGS turret) I will start doing more scratch building with the plastic card.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2019, 01:33:31 AM »
Either/or, they both look good. :smiley:

Thanks! I am going with the MGS turret.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2019, 01:44:17 AM »
Yep, they both look like viable options on that hull.

Mind, that IFV turret may imply that the vehicle is more of an infantry vehicle that could then use firing ports and squad egress ramps to really sell the idea, otherwise it's a lot of vehicle for that turret.

The larger gun turret works as is, the vehicle being about the right size for just that gun system. Or an equivalent manned turret, like the Centauro or AMX-10RC, etc.

If you like the IFV turret (and I do a bit more than the MGS turret) then perhaps a bit more scratchbuilding of retracted masts with sensors can sell it as a dedicated electronics surveillance/recce asset. Then the hull size makes perfect sense with the turret for self defence only. The two notches in the starboard side hull would make good places for the retracted sensor masts. It could also simplify fairing in that starboard side to the MLRS cab.

Just some thoughts...

Paul

Thanks Paul! I am going with the MGS turret. The SPz Puma turret is cool too but I think the MGS looks a little better. I do have a B1 Centauro I was looking to do a what if with as well. I was also looking at the AMX-10RCR Separ but don't have that kit. It does have a pretty cool turret though.

Those two rectangular areas on the starboard side are to be covered using PE grills but the seller is replacing the broken hull. I will be using the PE grills on the actual ZTL-11 kit once the replacement parts show up. I will fill in those two rectangular areas with some plastic card and probably make them into storage/tool lockers and make some latches and hinges.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2019, 10:53:00 AM »
I like the MGS installation better, it seems to fit the vehicle more properly.  Too bad those rectangular areas can't be used to launch a vtol reconnaissance drone (CL-289 possibly, or an adaptation of modern hovering drones) to spot trouble and/or targets' say one for the launch and one for a deployable antenna.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2019, 11:42:50 PM »
I like the MGS installation better, it seems to fit the vehicle more properly.  Too bad those rectangular areas can't be used to launch a vtol reconnaissance drone (CL-289 possibly, or an adaptation of modern hovering drones) to spot trouble and/or targets' say one for the launch and one for a deployable antenna.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have anything that could fit in those cutouts though. I will just fill them in with plastic card.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2019, 11:15:10 AM »
BFG for teh win!  8)

Brian da Basher

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2019, 01:01:32 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have anything that could fit in those cutouts though. I will just fill them in with plastic card.
I believe there's a set of 1/350 V-22s available.  If those can be built in the stowed configuration, I suspect they would fit nicely as drones/UAVs to use.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2019, 01:17:24 PM »

I believe there's a set of 1/350 V-22s available.  If those can be built in the stowed configuration, I suspect they would fit nicely as drones/UAVs to use.

Now there's an interesting idea!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2019, 12:19:42 PM »
Some 1/35 drone options:

Click on each image to get more details.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2019, 08:14:08 PM »
I changed it once again. I have the end of the barrel extending over the cab now. Still a long way to go. I have to notch the bottom rear sections of the cab so the front wheels don't scrape on it. I also have to fill in the area between the cab and rear deck. I will use plastic card and hope to blend it in.

I am going by this sci fi image I found online which is what I am sort of basing mine off of.

Here is where I last left off.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2019, 10:10:21 PM »
I really like this change and that Big Friggin' Gun (BFG) has intimidation written all over it!

Brian da Basher