Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 132677 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #750 on: November 07, 2022, 09:05:20 AM »
Got the figures laid out for how I want to do the dio. The photos show the GAZ-66 and BMP-2 separately because my work bench isn't big enough to fit both at the same time and with all the figures. They will both be on the same dio though once I work out how I want to place them to see how big the dio will be. I want the dio as small as possible but big enough to fit everything so they don't look crowded and on top of each other.

They will be fictional. I am going to do them as some break away region that absorbed the vehicles, weapons and materiel from when the other fictional country ruled them and was either captured or left behind from the war that made them break away from the dictator ruling party.

The BMP-2 crew member on the right side that is looking back will be looking at the GAZ-66 watching the soldiers unload the truck. All the figures are missing their weapons as I will paint those separately before attaching them. The figures holding the backpacks and ammo crates are only fitted with Silly Putty as again, I will paint them all separately before attaching. The idea for the dio is that where the GAZ-66 and BMP-2 are loading/unloading is the staging point before they start an offensive. They are loading up the BMP-2 with the soldiers and supplies and then they will head off to the line of contact. 

Online Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #751 on: November 07, 2022, 09:57:31 AM »
 8)

Obviously within the former Soviet field of influence. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #752 on: November 07, 2022, 10:30:58 AM »
The figures look good. Are they all TANK?

In the modern Russian Mob Army, there would be one or two guys with weapons aimed at the conscripts unloading the Gaz - just in case they decided to run and defect/surrender/live.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #753 on: November 07, 2022, 11:48:15 AM »
8)

Obviously within the former Soviet field of influence. ;)

The figures look good. Are they all TANK?

In the modern Russian Mob Army, there would be one or two guys with weapons aimed at the conscripts unloading the Gaz - just in case they decided to run and defect/surrender/live.

The figures are all from Tank. I didn't buy them all though, some were given to me. Most are from the first two images shown below. The GAZ-66 driver and the other seated one in the bed are also from Tank but from a different set.

While the figures, weapons and vehicles represent Russian/Soviet, they will be totally fictional. All the soldiers are friendlies so no need for other soldiers to watch over them as they are all on the same side fighting for the same freedom from a cruel and oppressive dictator. They formed a rebellion and kicked out the regime from a section of their land and want to form their own break away region and free state with Democratic rule. The weapons and vehicles were captured or left behind when the regime's forces were forced to withdraw as they were overwhelmed by the unexpected size of the rebellion. At first the rebellion forces had the weapons smuggled in by sympathizers to their cause. Some of the regime's forces also joined the rebellion so some of the weapons and vehicles also came from defectors from the regime. More and more people under the regime will start to rebel once they see the dictator's power/influence starting to wane. They realize that he is using them to enrich himself and as using the military to oppress and kill his opponents. Sounds familiar? Art imitates life.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #754 on: December 06, 2022, 01:55:21 AM »
Tamiya 1/35  Marder 1A2 and Flakpanzer Gepard kit bash what if air defense/fire suppression vehicle.

I made the Flakpanzer Gepard turret a bit lower profile and sleeker by cutting down the height from the bottom and also cut the front and added a new scratch built section. I also added two M61 20mm guns from the Academy M163 that I got as spare parts off Ebay.

The new redesigned turret test fitted to the Marder 1A2 hull. I made the Flakpanzer Gepard turret sleeker because the original turret looked too top heavy. Even with the new lower profile turret, it still looks a bit top heavy but not nearly as bad as if I left it the original way.

A new Chinese Type 625E air defense vehicle with a 30mm gun and missiles. I would love to see this in 1/35. That turret alone looks awesome and is perfect for some cool what if projects.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #755 on: December 06, 2022, 02:54:50 AM »
Really like your redesigned/rearmed turret.  :smiley:

The Chinese seem to come up with loads of new anti-air designs both tracked and wheeled, but do they actually make it into production?
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #756 on: December 06, 2022, 03:15:41 AM »
I don't think it looks top heavy at all. I might have reduced the phased array (?) radar cover so that the muzzle blast was forward of it...but that's a minor niggle. The Marder is a *fantastic* hull to base WHIF on. Right up there with the Warrior and Merkava lower hulls.

Looking forward to this build a whole bunch of a lots!

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #757 on: December 06, 2022, 05:11:51 AM »
Really like the Air Defence Marder version.  Very practical

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #758 on: December 06, 2022, 05:39:58 AM »

Me too. Great concept ... and very timely  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #759 on: December 06, 2022, 06:28:47 PM »
Liking this idea
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Marderman

• Guess what he builds lots of...
    • didi-berlage.de
« Reply #760 on: December 06, 2022, 06:36:31 PM »
Marder and Gepard, I like the combination

Offline Ramba

« Reply #761 on: December 06, 2022, 09:10:40 PM »
Really like your redesigned/rearmed turret.  :smiley:

The Chinese seem to come up with loads of new anti-air designs both tracked and wheeled, but do they actually make it into production?
Thanks! Not sure if the Chinese Type 625E is in production or not. It looks pretty cool though.

I don't think it looks top heavy at all. I might have reduced the phased array (?) radar cover so that the muzzle blast was forward of it...but that's a minor niggle. The Marder is a *fantastic* hull to base WHIF on. Right up there with the Warrior and Merkava lower hulls.

Looking forward to this build a whole bunch of a lots!
Thanks! Yes, I tried to make the front section look like a phased array but not sure how useful it would be on a turret though. I originally wanted the front of the turret even with the top of the upper hull right before the slope but it just didn't look right. It looked too stumpy so I had to lengthen it.

Thanks!

Me too. Great concept ... and very timely  :smiley:
Thanks!

Liking this idea
Thanks!

Marder and Gepard, I like the combination
Thanks!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #762 on: December 07, 2022, 12:33:08 AM »
The new turret looks great! It reminds me of the Star Wars droid tank.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #763 on: December 07, 2022, 06:59:27 AM »
Tamiya 1/35  Marder 1A2 and Flakpanzer Gepard kit bash what if air defense/fire suppression vehicle.

Damn ! why didn't I think of that ?  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Offline kim margosein

« Reply #764 on: December 07, 2022, 12:09:51 PM »
Is it just me or do those two  1/35 figures look like Putin?

Offline Ramba

« Reply #765 on: December 08, 2022, 10:40:17 PM »
The new turret looks great! It reminds me of the Star Wars droid tank.

Thanks! Not really a big fan of Star Wars so had to look up the droid tank. Never knew there was one. The droid tank weapons look nice though. Would be cool to kit bash those weapons with an MBT or AFV type vehicle.

Damn ! why didn't I think of that ?  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks! Hope you do something similar. I like to see other people's ideas come to life.

Is it just me or do those two  1/35 figures look like Putin?

Never really noticed until you pointed it out. They sort of, kind of look like him.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 10:42:01 PM by Ramba »

Online Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #766 on: December 11, 2022, 08:42:48 PM »
That looks great, mate! 8)

AA vehicles all look top heavy but, with the steel road wheels & tracks below, there should be enough mass low down to make her pretty stable. :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #767 on: December 11, 2022, 11:39:06 PM »
That looks great, mate! 8)

AA vehicles all look top heavy but, with the steel road wheels & tracks below, there should be enough mass low down to make her pretty stable. :smiley:

Thanks! Yeah, the Marder hull is pretty wide and should provide a stable platform. I did cut down the Gepard turret to give it a lower profile.

My idea for the Marder AA was to have something similar to the South Korean K30 Biho. I really wish Academy would release it in 1/35.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #768 on: December 12, 2022, 05:27:03 AM »
My idea for the Marder AA was to have something similar to the South Korean K30 Biho. I really wish Academy would release it in 1/35.

yeah.. ditto. Slick looking vehicle

Offline Ramba

« Reply #769 on: December 12, 2022, 06:19:33 AM »

yeah.. ditto. Slick looking vehicle

Here's a video of the K30 Biho.
https://www.facebook.com/ROKArmedForces/videos/369342367287682/

Another cool South Korean air defense vehicle in the K31 K-SAM. Kind of similar to the ADATS.

I would love to get the Legend ADATS set but way too expensive for me.
http://www-legend.co.kr/portfolio/lf1286-adats-conversion-set/?ckattempt=1

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #770 on: December 12, 2022, 09:30:14 AM »
The K-SAM is basically a Crotale NG with a modified seeker.  There is no anti tank capability.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #771 on: December 17, 2022, 09:56:13 AM »
... My idea for the Marder AA was to have something similar to the South Korean K30 Biho...

That would get around the Swiss Neutrality ammunition supply problems of the Gepards. Rheinmetall is working on AHEAD type 30 x 173 rounds.
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Ramba

« Reply #772 on: December 18, 2022, 12:23:37 AM »
The K-SAM is basically a Crotale NG with a modified seeker.  There is no anti tank capability.

Yes, the K-SAM is only AA. I meant that the overall look was similar to the ADATS.

... My idea for the Marder AA was to have something similar to the South Korean K30 Biho...

That would get around the Swiss Neutrality ammunition supply problems of the Gepards. Rheinmetall is working on AHEAD type 30 x 173 rounds.

With all the South Korean armor that Poland is buying, I thought the K30 BIHO would be on the list but Poland is getting the Patriot system so no need for the K30 I suppose. Some of the armor Poland bought from South Korea are the K2 Black Panther and K9A1 Thunder self-propelled howitzers.

This article has a list of pieces Poland is buying from South Korea.
https://breakingdefense.com/2022/10/poland-buying-korean-made-mlrs-continuing-seoul-spending-spree/

Rheinmetall is supposed to start manufacturing the 35mm ammo for the Gepard and supply it to Ukraine.

This article mentions the possibility.
https://www.thedefensepost.com/2022/12/15/rheinmetall-facility-medium-caliber-ammunition/

Offline Ramba

« Reply #773 on: January 02, 2023, 05:21:07 AM »
Continuing with the Tamiya M1025 being converted to an M1113 GMV. The M1113 GMV has different seats than what comes in the Tamiya kit so I needed the correct seats. I found a set of seats from E.T. Model. It says for the Bronco kit but fits the Tamiya kit.

This is the E.T. Model set I got.

It was neatly packed in a box.

The contents. Lots and lots of PE.

There are 427 teeny, tiny, itsy, bitsy bolts at .5mm each, no thanks!

This is just for the driver's seat.

Unfortunately you won't see 99% of the PE detail even if you leave the doors open.

PE and resin seat parts dry fitted.

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #774 on: January 02, 2023, 12:35:39 PM »
Impressive! :smiley: