Author Topic: Litvyak's profiles  (Read 203135 times)

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: Litvyak's profiles
« Reply #375 on: August 19, 2012, 10:22:44 AM »
Elegant silhouette :-* thanks

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #376 on: October 10, 2012, 11:37:27 PM »
More Stingrays!

After 22 Stingray Mk. II were delivered to the RBCN, the FAA decided to order 14 more. These were slightly modified, being armed with four Browning machine guns instead of two Vickers machine guns. Otherwise identical to the Mk. II, the Stingray Mk. III were delivered in 1934, painted in the overall Cerrux grey scheme authorised that year. Though sufficient to needs, the Stingrays were not especially popular with pilots during the winter!

The Stingray Mk. II and Mk. III were somewhat underpowered, so upon learning of Hoffar's new prototype engine, the Petrel, the Admiralty ordered a single Mk. III to be modified to use the new engine in 1935. The resulting Stingray Mk. IV prototype was the first aircraft to be powered by the experimental HLV-12X engine. At 600 hp, the Petrel produced 75 hp more than the Harrier engine that powered the earlier Stingrays, and while not an enormous jump, it was noticeable. Add to that the fact that the production version of the Petrel was to produce 700 hp, and the FAA decided this was a worthwhile project and decided to continue.

The RBCN ordered the construction of two new prototypes, designed from the outset to use the new HLV-12A engine, the first production version of Hoffar's Petrel engine. This produced 700 hp, which finally gave the Stingray the performance it needed to become more than 'adequate'. The new design also addressed pilots' major complaint, the open cockpit being unfriendly in the winter. The two Stingray Mk. V prototypes were built to the new specifications, with an all-new fuselage being built for the first prototype, whilst using the wings, floats and empennage of a damaged Mk. II; the second prototype, X16, was built all-new. Delivered to the Navy in mid 1936, they were extensively tested, then after production was ordered, the two remained in use as conversion trainers until the end of 1937.

The Admiralty ordered the production of 32 Mk. Vs in December of 1936, but when Hoffar informed the Navy that an uprated version of the Petrel would enter production in March of 1937, the FAA decided to delay the order. The new engine, the HLV-12A-2, replaced the direct fuel injection of the 12A with an updraught Bendix carburettor, and along with some other modifications, the result was a major performance boost. With 880 hp available, the Stingray Mk. VI was a capable fighter, and Supermarine immediately began working on a more advanced variant, with all-new wings, with an eye to keeping up with the advances being made at Hoffar's. In the end, however, development of further Stingray variants was abandoned in favour of the new float-based Sea Skemcis SF.

The sky grey over white scheme introduced at the end of 1936 for flying boats and permanently float-equipped aircraft turned out to be short-lived, as in the spring of 1938 a new scheme was introduced, of extra dark sea grey and dark slate grey camouflage over Cerrux grey undersides. The Stingray Mk. VI entered squadron service in the summer of 1937, but by the autumn of 1940 they began to be withdrawn, to be replaced by the newly-arriving Sea Skemcis SF Mk. I. However, the outbreak of the Pacific war in December 1941 resulted in a brief respite for the Stingrays. New squadrons were raised to operate the newly-built Sea Skemcis SF Mk. I and SF Mk. II aircraft, and around a dozen Stingrays remained in service until late 1942, when they were finally replaced by the Sea Skemcis SF Mk. III.
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #377 on: October 11, 2012, 04:10:22 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #378 on: October 11, 2012, 08:00:42 AM »
Love the Stingray line!  The S.6B look has almost disappeared by the mk VI, though.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #379 on: October 11, 2012, 11:27:20 AM »
My favourite is the Mk V. Thanks for this creation. :)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #380 on: October 12, 2012, 09:38:49 AM »
Love the Stingrays! BTW, the aluminium-block HLV-12X Petrel would also have quite a bit lighter than the old Harrier engine.
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #381 on: October 12, 2012, 12:43:56 PM »
Thanks, all! Glad you like them! :)

Apophenia: ooh, that would make the performance boost over the Harrier seem even more noticeable, no? In turn the whole airplane is lighter because of that, and... yeah. :)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #382 on: October 13, 2012, 04:35:56 AM »
Yep, light is good for fighters ... especially in sea boots  ;)

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #383 on: February 07, 2013, 10:44:19 PM »
Here's a teaser of something in the works...

The first helicopter in BC was a Bristol Sycamore, numbered BC0101, received by the RBCAF in late 1949. It was tested extensively, and two more were added in late 1950 and early 1951. In June, 1951, an order was placed with Bristol for a further 3, which were delivered in 1953. These first six Sycamores were used by the RBCAF primarily for transporting officers and other hop-about duties, with one frequently used for transporting the Prime Minister or the Governor-General.

(Much more to come on this subject...)

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #384 on: February 07, 2013, 11:15:27 PM »
I always thought the Sycamore was a neat helo for that era in helicopters.  I bet you could do an outgrowth of it that would eventually get you something somewhat Hip-esque, like a Bristol 203 or 214.

Cheers,

Logan

« Reply #385 on: February 09, 2013, 05:32:40 AM »
Outstanding......

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #386 on: February 09, 2013, 05:45:02 AM »
nice ... are we going to see Mr Belvedere ?

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #387 on: February 09, 2013, 09:46:26 AM »
Yeah, Mr. Belvedere and his descendants will be showing up, too.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #388 on: February 10, 2013, 07:34:28 AM »
Yeah, Mr. Belvedere and his descendants will be showing up, too.

Nice !! now where can I get my hands on a few of the airfix kits .....

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #389 on: February 10, 2013, 08:08:41 AM »
Well, I do have one in my stash... but it's kinda already earmarked for something...

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #390 on: February 10, 2013, 10:09:47 AM »
a guy on ebay seems to have sold 15 of them & still has 10 available for $8 each .... guess they were never popular kits :D

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #391 on: February 10, 2013, 10:30:52 AM »
Hmm, may have to consider getting another...

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #392 on: May 01, 2013, 12:46:41 AM »
Been a while, but here's something new...

In 1990, No. 7 Sqn RBCAF repainted one of their Shukopoots F.4 into the camo scheme used by the squadron's Skemcis F Mk. VII A fighters in 1940, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. No 7 Sqn RBCAF was the first unit of the Royal BC Air Force to deploy to the UK to take part in the Battle of Britain.

Shuki looks good even in her grandmother's dress, I think! :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #393 on: May 01, 2013, 03:13:35 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline arc3371

• Takes no responsibility should anyone try to turn the drawings into plastic...but we will still hold him accountable for the madness that ensues!!!
« Reply #394 on: May 01, 2013, 06:12:55 AM »
That is an interesting bird

Offline apophenia

« Reply #395 on: May 01, 2013, 06:56:10 AM »
Like the commemorative scheme on the Shukopoots!  :)

Takes me back too. There seems to be a cycle of girls raiding their grandmother's closets for vintage duds. And, appropriately, the '40s stuff was always the best.

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #396 on: May 01, 2013, 07:10:09 AM »
Like the commemorative scheme on the Shukopoots!  :)

Takes me back too. There seems to be a cycle of girls raiding their grandmother's closets for vintage duds. And, appropriately, the '40s stuff was always the best.

Yeah, Bomb Girls (grrr at those idiots at Global for cancelling the best show ever!!) proved that, too! (Though I also love the 1920s flapper styles).

I do have another commemorative scheme in mind, but it's proving difficult to draw so far.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #397 on: May 01, 2013, 11:12:23 AM »
I do have another commemorative scheme in mind, but it's proving difficult to draw so far.

Looking forward to that.

... grrr at those idiots at Global for cancelling the best show ever!! ...

And they wonder why television viewership is plummeting! But don't get me started on my Danny Cohen/The End of BBC rant  >:D

Offline cptmike2012

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #398 on: May 22, 2013, 04:06:48 AM »

Four Lockheed C-130B Hercules were delivered to the RCAF in 1960, designated Hercules Mk. I. This illustration depicts a CC-130B in the delivery scheme with the old roundel and pre-1964 serial number (serials 10301-10304). In 1962, the RCAF took delivery of twenty C-130E, designating them Hercules Mk. II (serials 10305-10324).

In 1964, the Hercules Mk. I was redesignated CC-130B Hercules (new serials 130301-130304) and the Mk. II was redesignated CC-130E Hercules (new serials 130305-130324), opting to use the American subtype designator rather than assigning 'A' and 'B' to the two. Shown here is a CC-130E of 408 Sqn in the 1964-65 transitional scheme featuring new lettering with the old-style roundel.

From 1965 the old roundels were replaced with the new-leaf roundels, resulting in this, the ultimate appearance of the original Hercs in RCAF service. 435 Sqn's four CC-130B were retired and sold in 1974, while the CC-130E were withdrawn in 1975-76, with the Hercules being replaced in RCAF service by the CC-127 Keewatin.

After an extensive study for a replacement for the Keewatin, the RCAF decided to return to the Hercules, ordering 36 CC-130J Hercules from Lockheed (serials 130325-130360). The first CC-130J arrived in 2012 and was assigned to 408 Sqn; 424, 426 and 435 Sqns are to transition to the J model by the end of 2013.

I know this is going back in time, but could you please make a Snowbirds C-130 support plane?

Thanks and regards,

CPT Mike

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #399 on: May 22, 2013, 07:33:59 AM »
I know this is going back in time, but could you please make a Snowbirds C-130 support plane?

Thanks and regards,

CPT Mike

Well, AltCan RCAF's Snowbirds use a CC-127 Keewatin as a support plane (there should be a profile of it somewhere back there). That said, I *may* do one at some point, but I've just got started on another bunch of AltBC stuff... and honestly, the AltBC concept is holding my attention a lot more than AltCan... but one never knows, I may well go back to that at some point.