Author Topic: Flower class corvette  (Read 29896 times)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
Flower class corvette
« on: December 15, 2014, 05:06:28 AM »
Hi all well now I've finished Warspite I am putting some serious thought into the corvette. I know the purists will hate this but there are hundreds of corvette model builds out there, and, if you've got to know me at all you will know I don't do usual, so, I was thinking what I could do different, I could turn it into a luxury cruiser, but I want to keep the guns and stuff, so I thought maybe turn it into some sort of futuristic fighting ship, but no I actually like the look of it as it is, and that would change it a lot, so what I thought was. War gaming is quite popular what if you could play captain of your very own corvette. Obviously she would have to have up to date radar and stuff, for legal reasons I assume. So guys what would I have to alter legally (visibly I mean)if she was to exist now and be leased out to War game parties.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Re: Flower class corvette
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 05:28:02 AM »
Well if may not have to be of this world.
Put it in a, for want of a better phrase "Waterworld" environment.
Do what you like where you like in a Post Apocalyptic setting. You could even have some wind or solar power fittings.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 10:10:01 AM »
Don't know answer to your question.
Do find this extra interesting as I have two in stash got on the cheap at swap meets.
My inclination is to modernize to at least 1960s up to now configuration for patrolling the archipelago.
Please post pics when building starts.

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 11:23:52 PM »
Let me see if I understand your intent here...

You're thinking of some form of 1:1 war game for the ultra rich?

If so, I would add cameras to all gun positions, a few critically-placed smoke pots to represent hits/damage. Provide a modern navigation radar, comm system, cap the stack to simulate its been re-fitted as a diesel, replace the whalers with RHIBS or modern lifeboats  and add some containerized lifeboats (perhaps fitted to the K-guns?).

hmmm...

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 01:59:56 AM »
That's exactly what I'm thinking and all your suggestions are great could you just expand a bit on them ( I know practically nothing about war ships or gaming) probably sounds like a stupid idea to pick something you know nothing about, I like a challenge and am up for a bit, or a lot of scratch building.

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 08:19:39 AM »
OK, assuming that you want your ships to engage in ship-v-ship or ship-v-aircraft combat.

You need to be able to simulate the gun aiming at something, a  form of laser tag so to speak. That means that every gun you want to use in the battle has a camera mounted above the barrel so that the aimpoint can be viewed and hits calculated.

A couple of positions around the ship would need smoke grenades... if the ship gets "hit" the grenade starts smoking to add realism.

On the mast add a modern navigation radar (you can get pics from google) and a couple of whip antennas to simulate having a modern communication rig.

Replace the two square lifeboats on each side with a Rigid Hull Inflatable Boat on davits (RHIB). Again, google will get you good reference pictures.

On the hull sides, maybe the back as well, I would replace some of the depth charges with encapsulated liferafts in barrels. See the pic here for what one looks like: http://www.life-raft.com/9586/47399/Life-Rafts----Commercial/Crewsaver-US-Coast-Guard-Approved-SOLAS-Liferaft.html

If you google diesel tug you can see what the top of the smokestack looks like. I'm going to assume that the ships would have been converted at some point from steam to diesel for convenience sake. The big empty smokestack isn't needed, so it would probably be just empty space with the diesel exhausts inside.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 02:53:09 PM »
Thanks really helpful.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 03:41:14 AM »
Hi all ive made a start.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 02:03:40 AM »
The Flowers used a lengthened version of the design of the whale-catcher Southern Pride,
so I suppose you could turn a Flower back into a whale-catcher, or an anti-'whale-catcher'.
 ;)  :icon_fsm:

Some diagrams that may be of interest (note that the GA is of an early short forecastle Flower, the Matchbox/Revell kit is of the later version with extended forecastle):

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 04:19:12 AM »
Thanks for the info, it may well prove useful
Installed the prop shaft

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 01:40:03 AM »
Hi all got the radio gear in the Corvette today.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 08:14:42 AM »
Nice pics.  Interesting to see RC parts come together.
Way back when,,, put electric motor in Revell Arizona. 
Boxed around prop shaft exit and packed it with Vasoline gel.  Sealed OK.

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 09:50:42 AM »
Mechanical speed control... that's old school! :)

Watching this closely, my own Flower will be going on the building slips at some point.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 01:57:05 AM »
Hi all done a bit to the corvette. the strengthening tie bars are a joke they bend all over the place had to add some plasticard to them to stiffen them also number 9 rib is about 1.5 mill too long when in place and you add the top deck it creates a gap all down the side so had to had a bit off that, fits ok now.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 03:51:23 AM »
well did some filling and glued some deck parts on corvette and added the wooden decking to the rear.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 07:25:31 AM »
This is really great progress, and Its neat to see a ship like this (motorized and all) come together
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline finsrin

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 07:56:11 AM »
Mororized or not; like how its going together.

Offline Spey Phantom

• 1/144 addict
  • the modeler formerly known as Nils.
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 05:47:41 PM »
she goes together quite well, i used 2 of them to build a pair of 1/144 aircraft carriers.
the 4-part hull also makes it easy to build extensions  8)

im also planning on building a Belgian Navy flower-class corvette,
when revell releases theyre 1/144 version later this year.
on the bench:
-various models

on the drawing board:
-various 1/72 TinTin aircraft
-1/72 Eurocopter Tiger (Belgian Army)
-various other 1/72 and 1/144 aircraft

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 05:00:58 AM »
Hi all since my bosses husband is buying the Bentley and my boss has commissioned me to build 2 1/48 Tamiya spits and a 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster (her father was an electrical engineer on the lancaster and actually worked on the Concord too)the corvette is going to have to go on the back burner for a while but here is where I am now on her.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 09:15:35 AM »
Those eight holes/hatches are looking like vertical launch missile tubes.

Offline 35th-scale

• On first name terms with someone called Nathan...
  • I wonder what scale he builds in???
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 08:45:24 AM »
I have one of these in the stash and plan eventually to make the 5th Krigsmarine Flower out of it. The Germans captured 4 in France and converted them to flak ships. But they were all short fo'castle versions so I'm  goint to do a what-if they captured a newer one and converted it too...sometime. its been on the drawing board in my head for about 3 years so far  :)

Offline youngtiger1

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2015, 03:44:20 PM »
Man, I have been wanted to add one of these to my stash fir a while now, but never got lucky on any god deals. I'd had ideas to turn it into a fishing boat. You know, has bunch of those lobster cages in the back and long air looking cranes on both sides connected with lobster cages or nets.

Another idea I had was turn it into old civilian ship. Similar to what they had in the King Kong movie.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2015, 05:00:16 PM »
I have one of these in the stash and plan eventually to make the 5th Krigsmarine Flower out of it. The Germans captured 4 in France and converted them to flak ships. But they were all short fo'castle versions so I'm  goint to do a what-if they captured a newer one and converted it too...sometime. its been on the drawing board in my head for about 3 years so far  :)

I figure ~99ft 8in as 1/35.  Can do a lot with that.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2015, 05:11:40 PM »
Man, I have been wanted to add one of these to my stash fir a while now, but never got lucky on any god deals. I'd had ideas to turn it into a fishing boat. You know, has bunch of those lobster cages in the back and long air looking cranes on both sides connected with lobster cages or nets.

Another idea I had was turn it into old civilian ship. Similar to what they had in the King Kong movie.

Either works.  Fishing boat, tuna clipper.   Tramp steamer is most interesting to me.  A few anti-pirate guns?

Offline 35th-scale

• On first name terms with someone called Nathan...
  • I wonder what scale he builds in???
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2015, 03:56:05 PM »

I figure ~99ft 8in as 1/35.  Can do a lot with that.

LOL, I'd need a bigger house, not just a bigger boat!

And just to clarify 1/35 is my preferred scale for my comfort-zone genre, modern wheeled armour, but I do dabble out side the scale from time to time. One long-term project I have on the go is a 1/350 (note extra zero) Marine landing diorama. Slowly collecting up LCACs, LCUs, LAV, Abrams, Humvees, AAAV7s, Harriers, Cobras, MV-22s & H-60s etc etc etc