Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 132653 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #450 on: November 28, 2021, 01:05:13 AM »
Looking good.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #451 on: November 28, 2021, 10:52:12 PM »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #452 on: November 28, 2021, 10:59:21 PM »
Slowly moving along. I got the AFV Stryker and the Trumpeter armor pieces glued to the ESCI LAV. I also glued on the AFV Stryker stowage bins. Putting the stowage bin on the right side interferes with the exhaust so I have to cut the exhaust to fit now. Will show that on the next update.

The upper hull is just dry fitted to the lower hull for now and the turret is only taped. Only test fitting everything before committing to gluing.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #453 on: November 29, 2021, 12:45:16 AM »
Looking good with the new storage racks added on.  Amazing what a few additional spare parts can do in making a difference to that old ESCI LAV. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Ramba

« Reply #454 on: November 29, 2021, 06:28:14 AM »
Looking good with the new storage racks added on.  Amazing what a few additional spare parts can do in making a difference to that old ESCI LAV.

Thanks! The right side storage bin interferes with the exhaust so i will need to move the exhaust somehow. Working on that now and will update soon. I did take a break from the LAV though to work on a couple other kits.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #455 on: November 29, 2021, 06:44:51 AM »
Took a break from the LAV for a bit and worked on the Marder what if. I decided to try to finish off the turret. I used the Hobby Boss PTL-02 turret and built around it to reshape it. I wanted it to look somewhat similar to the one on the Argentine TAM. Mine will not be a TAM but a what if that will be a second or third cousin to the TAM or more like the red headed stepchild.

I found some plans online and printed them to scale then cut the out and traced over sheet plastic to get the shape.

After cutting out the sheet plastic, I taped them on to the turret to check the shape.

Here you can see the new sheet plastic being glued in place for the new shape. I also started to fill in the gaps on the top. The gaps on the bottom will also need filling in. Haven't started yet though. You won't see much of the bottom of the turret but if I rotate it you will see parts of it so I need to fill it all on in.

The turret is starting to take shape. I still need to scratch build the mantlet and mantlet cover. Not sure how to go about scratch building a mantlet cover though. TAM turret shown for reference.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #456 on: November 29, 2021, 06:56:50 AM »
LAV's coming along nicely! Looks strikingly different with the Stryker parts added. 8)

The turret work for the Marder is looking good. :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #457 on: November 29, 2021, 07:46:57 AM »
Fine work with card stock.   Can learn from you !

Offline Ramba

« Reply #458 on: November 29, 2021, 09:40:11 PM »
LAV's coming along nicely! Looks strikingly different with the Stryker parts added. 8)

The turret work for the Marder is looking good. :smiley:

Thanks! Yeah, the LAV kind of looks like a baby Stryker now  ;D

Offline Ramba

« Reply #459 on: November 29, 2021, 09:41:13 PM »
Fine work with card stock.   Can learn from you !

Thank you! I printed the turret plans out to scale then cut the profiles out and traced them onto the sheet plastic.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #460 on: November 29, 2021, 09:47:38 PM »
Yesterday I also worked on the ZTL-11 what if reshaped turret. Got it mostly glued together. Still needs a lot of work refining it like filling and sanding.

Test fitted to the hull. I need to add the bolts for the armor plates. Looks like I will be spending a lot of time cutting some round plastic stock to shape UGHHHH!!!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #461 on: November 30, 2021, 12:34:19 AM »
The turret looks good. Have you used Meng bolts? They would look great on this turret.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #462 on: November 30, 2021, 12:43:10 AM »
The turret looks good. Have you used Meng bolts? They would look great on this turret.

Thanks for the info on the Meng bolts. Greatly appreciated! I never knew they were available. I just looked them up and saw they have different sizes. I will have to check them out to see which ones I need or just get a couple different sizes.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #463 on: November 30, 2021, 02:39:15 AM »
Even the smallest Meng bolts are easy to use. Just cut them with a sharp scalpel.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #464 on: November 30, 2021, 02:46:30 AM »
Even the smallest Meng bolts are easy to use. Just cut them with a sharp scalpel.

Thanks again for the info. The ones molded to the original turret are really small, they are less than 1mm diameter. They are probably close to .75mm which are really tiny. If I get the Meng set I will replace the molded on ones as well. I will take a look at the Meng sets and see which ones will work.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #465 on: November 30, 2021, 02:46:44 AM »
Test fitting different main gun barrels.

First up is the 120mm barrel from the Hobby Boss Leopard 2A5/A6.

Next up is the Perfect Scale Modellbau German L7 105mm thermal sleeve barrel.

The 120mm barrel extends past the front of the hull which is preferable and the 105mm is just short of extending past the front. While the 120mm barrel is longer, I prefer the look of the 105mm though so will go with the 105mm barrel.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #466 on: November 30, 2021, 07:35:54 AM »
Either gun barrel is an excellent option.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #467 on: November 30, 2021, 10:23:13 AM »
I think the 105 barrel is a good choice as 120 recoil might take the turret off the hull!
BTW Tichy Train Group makes different sizes of bolts, some with washers and such.
https://www.tichytraingroup.com/
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 10:28:53 AM by Kerick »

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #468 on: December 01, 2021, 03:29:34 AM »
^ yes, tichy bolts. I used them on similarly themed project. Much easier than using a hex P&D. I may have to give those Meng bolts a try

I love that gatling on the LAV, kind of surprised how well the Styker armour fit - the dimpled storage bin is great!

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #469 on: December 01, 2021, 05:03:58 AM »
Like what you are doing.

Looks like quite a few of us have done the LAV and Multi Barrel gun build

For the applique bolts, I used left over Churchill versions

Offline Ramba

« Reply #470 on: December 01, 2021, 05:58:23 AM »
I think the 105 barrel is a good choice as 120 recoil might take the turret off the hull!
BTW Tichy Train Group makes different sizes of bolts, some with washers and such.
https://www.tichytraingroup.com/
Thanks! I am going with the 105mm barrel. Also thanks for the link to tichy. I will certainly check them out.

Either gun barrel is an excellent option.  :smiley:
Thanks! I am going with the 105mm barrel.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #471 on: December 01, 2021, 06:01:04 AM »
Like what you are doing.

Looks like quite a few of us have done the LAV and Multi Barrel gun build

For the applique bolts, I used left over Churchill versions
^ yes, tichy bolts. I used them on similarly themed project. Much easier than using a hex P&D. I may have to give those Meng bolts a try

I love that gatling on the LAV, kind of surprised how well the Styker armour fit - the dimpled storage bin is great!

WOW! Both of your builds look awesome! They make mine look like it was built by a blind person. I really need to practice my scratch building. My skills are no where near either of yours.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #472 on: December 02, 2021, 10:19:01 AM »
Finished filling in the sheet plastic on the Hobby Boss PTL-02 turret that I reshaped for the Tamiya Marder. I still need to fill with putty and sand everything flush. I also still need to scratch build the mantlet and mantlet cover.

Test fitting on the Marder hull.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #473 on: December 03, 2021, 01:40:40 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #474 on: December 03, 2021, 02:36:14 AM »
Really liking the lines on the Marder build