Author Topic: Holt 75 and 8 inch Howitzer  (Read 3544 times)

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
Holt 75 and 8 inch Howitzer
« on: October 06, 2019, 09:56:39 AM »
2 months it took, but my computer works again.  So one of my builds during my time offline.  Roden Holt 75 Tractor and the Roden 8inch Hoitzer

Geoff

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Holt 75 and 8 inch Howitzer
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 10:24:57 AM »
Very interesting subject.  Was just reading an article about this weapon just the other day that was describing the problems encountered when emplaced for firing and the need for a special foundation for the piece to keep it stabilized and firing in the right direction.  I take it that the trailing wagon is that particular piece of kit as described in the article?
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 12:18:06 PM »
WW1 land war subjects are awesome & something I should look at for the Royal Australian Marines.

Love your work on this, mate! 8) :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Camthalion

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 01:16:30 PM »
Thanks Fellas

Very interesting subject.  Was just reading an article about this weapon just the other day that was describing the problems encountered when emplaced for firing and the need for a special foundation for the piece to keep it stabilized and firing in the right direction.  I take it that the trailing wagon is that particular piece of kit as described in the article?

Yes the rear trailer is the firing platform, if that's the correct term.  The instructions show the pieces assembling into a triangular shaped frame which the gun is placed on, if you wished to show the gun deployed.  from the looks of it, it allows traversing of the gun as well. 

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 08:47:02 PM »
That's a real stunner, Cam and once again, your weathering and paint wear are rendered about as perfectly as I think one can achieve.

I've got a real soft-spot for W.W. I vehicles. They've got a sort of steampunk style to them I find very appealing.

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 01:34:45 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 03:02:28 AM »
Nicely done!
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 03:22:49 AM »
Nice! Is this the 1/35 Roden kit? How was the tractor to build?

Offline Camthalion

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 06:56:32 AM »
Many thanks fellas

Nice! Is this the 1/35 Roden kit? How was the tractor to build?

Yeah Roden kit.  Definitely a challenge of a build,   each piece required a fair bit of clean up and test fitting before glue.  I enjoyed the challenge of it though.  fitting the tracks to the chassis however was a nightmare. 

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 04:20:28 AM »
Your efforts certainly paid off magnificently!

I was taking another look and just amazed by the work on that canopy and mud guards.

Great stuff Cam!

Brian da Basher

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 08:02:19 AM »
 Very neat! Yeah, even at that point in history, recoil systems were not what we think of today.