Author Topic: Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum's Kittiwake in 1/72  (Read 2303 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum's Kittiwake in 1/72
« on: January 14, 2020, 03:25:21 AM »
WA062/C-FHNA
The oldest surviving Curtiss-Fairey Kittiwake to serve with the Royal Canadian Navy is FB.1 WA062. On retirement in 1959 the aircraft was sold to Albertan businessman JHM Snell and allocated the civil registration CF-HNA. Painted silver with red accents the aircraft was used by Snell as an executive transport for about twenty years before he stopped flying due to medical reasons.

Academy 1/72 Curtiss-Fairey Kittiwake by Zac Yates, on Flickr

After it spent several years on the ground, maintained in airworthy condition by Snell, Dennis Bradley and Alan Ness purchased the aircraft and in 1972 it became part of the embryonic Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum. CF-HNA was repainted in the colours it wore at retirement with its original number 117 on the nose cowl and went on to become a staple at airshows around Ontario and further afield.

Although in excellent condition when purchased the aircraft was in need of extensive work by 1989, and over the next five years it was fully restored. The aircraft was returned to flight in the spring of 1994 in the colours of Kittiwake WA067 Spirit of Sarnia, which was flown in combat over the Atlantic in WW2 by triple ace Captain Todd Pomerleau.

The Spirit of Sarnia continues to fly at airshows around Canada and the USA alongside other CWHM aircraft. This model depicts WA062 in its original “warbird” paint scheme, as worn between 1973 and 1989.

This is the Academy 1/72 Curtiss P-40M/N kit with Master Models turned brass Hispano 20mm barrels, decals are from an Xtradecal Sea Fury sheet. This build was started in 2015 and stalled due to a lack of 1) filler/putty for the upper cowling (I got some more, and then more, then remembered I had this to finish!) and b) a suitable four-bladed propeller and spinner, these last vital parts being Airfix Firefly Mk.V units kindly supplied by kitnut617 which arrived yesterday.

I hope you enjoy this addition to the Kittiwake story!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:32:28 AM by KiwiZac »
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum's Kittiwake in 1/72
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 04:08:34 AM »
Very nice Zac  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 11:29:58 AM »
Very nice Zac  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

What he said! Excellent work 'Zac  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 05:27:50 PM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."