Author Topic: Airfix TSR2 Prototype (real world)  (Read 987 times)

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
Airfix TSR2 Prototype (real world)
« on: May 28, 2023, 11:49:46 PM »
Hi all.

Been wanting to do a TSR2 for many years, but what with the model going out of production and the cost getting a kit becoming astronomic things got somewhat delayed. However two years back I was in the right place at the right time and managed to purchase the kit at a reasonable price and here it is.

I have seen many excellent whatifs and kit bashes of this aircraft on various forums including Sprues and Whatif but my favourite colour/configuration has always been the prototype in white. So here it is, very real world, but what a looker !

This was the Stratos 4 boxing which I foolishly thought was a new tooling but it turned out to be the old tooling with some extra sprues for the alternative parts. The parts fit was not good but it was not the worst kit I have built, however the Decal sheet was very good with serials to cover all of the prototype aircraft plus the Stratos 4 markings.  In the end though, it came out as a good looking kit and I walked away with quite a few spare parts and decals.  Result !

As always all comments and criticisms gratefully accepted.

Mog
>^-.-^<

Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Airfix TSR2 Prototype (real world)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 02:01:17 AM »
No issues with the main landing gear?  To me, the TSR.2 looks a bit bird like with the spindly legs of the main gear and the tandem wheels standing in for the claws.  Great work as usual, you never fail to impress us with your modeling skills. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Robomog

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 02:31:16 AM »
Thanks Jeffry,  most kind

The undercarriage was problematical,  the instructions don't tell you to fit the main undercarriage legs before closing up the fuselage so I had to fiddle them in through a narrow gap, also the fit of the wheel assembly was way too loose so instead of being vertical they kept drooping in. To fix that I had to wait until the glue was almost dry to adjust them then support the body until the glue was fully dry.

Looking at the pics I thought there was still some lean on the wheels, but they or OK,  it's distortions caused by the telephoto lens on my phone  :D

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 06:45:40 AM »
I like what you have done. :smiley:

After struggling through a vacform, then a resin kit of this super aircraft, Airfix finally releases the Injection kit. Like you I have the Stratos kit.. but sadly it is still just a kit in the stash. After seeing this...maybe. Just maybe

Offline Robomog

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2023, 09:10:57 AM »
Thanks Buzz.

Respect for doing this aircraft as a vacform (or resin for that matter ). It's not until you put it up against a Spitfire or Lancaster you realise how big this aircraft is.

I can only say go for it,  the build will be a challenge but boy what a stunning aircraft when you've finished  :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 05:33:22 PM by Robomog »

Offline smeds

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 10:00:47 PM »
I have an Airfix 1/48 TSR2 in the stash, along with a resin fin with small intake correctly moulded in. My all time favourite jet aircraft and have visited both survivors at Dixford and Cosford.

Great model btw. 

Offline Robomog

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 08:34:35 AM »
Thanks sleds.

I've seen both, I think I first saw the TSR2 at Cranfield when they had an open day. I have some wet film snaps somewhere. If I find them I'll publish them on the forum  :smiley: :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline John Howling Mouse

• The King Of Absurdia
  • Have vacformer, will travel.
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2023, 06:07:46 AM »
Very sharp-looking model: some people dream of building this subject (like me)...some people successfully build it (like you).
Saving the globe from plastic pollution one kitbashed model at a time.