Author Topic: Sunderland TP Amphibian Fire-Bomber  (Read 42924 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: Sunderland TP Amphibian Fire-Bomber
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2012, 04:56:57 AM »
Thanks guys ---

Here's some pics of what I'm going to use for landing gear.  They are a set of very nicely cast 1/48 Catalina u/c from Scale Aircraft Conversions.  The wheels which I thought I got from Aeroclub, are actually something I got from Aircraft in Miniature. They're from their 1/72 Manchester kit which has been OOP for quite a while now and I got a set of four to put on my Vickers Windsor but they turned out to be a bit too big for that project.

All I need to do now is figure out how they're supposed to go together as they are a direct replacement for the Revell kit, Greg has said he could help out with a scan of the instructions (gentle reminder Greg -nudge, nudge )

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2012, 07:11:39 AM »
Noted...as soon as I get back home mate.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2012, 02:01:14 PM »
That looks different, but certainly very nice

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2012, 10:40:04 PM »
Here's a pic to show what happens when you swing the wing forward to it's originally designed position, the rear spar (black line about mid-chord) goes from about 2 degrees backwards to 2 degrees forward.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2012, 10:45:12 PM »
I've also settled on what I want to do with the fin/rudder.  As the new engines are way more powerful (depending on which engines are being compared) I thought it would need more fin area.  My idea was to add a dorsal fillet to the fin, but then I remembered I had a complete fin & rudder left over from another conversion I did some time ago.  I wonder if anyone can figure out what kit it came from -- hint: it was another Airfix kit ---
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 01:53:17 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2012, 09:58:13 PM »
That looks great, kitnut! I really like the new fin & rudder, but it's nagging that I can't place it. Kinda reminds me of a Viscount tail.

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2012, 11:09:02 PM »
Top notch work here!  8) No guess on the tail fin though  :-\
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2012, 11:35:34 PM »
Thanks guys --

Well you're going to kick yourselves when you look at this pic, the tail came from this after I converted it from the Airfix Mk.32, back to a Mk.31 using the Magna Models conversion.  You get a number of direct replacement parts for the conversion so the whole original fin & rudder was spare.

Incidently, the Sunderland fin is practically the same height but a little broader at the top although it's not as broad at the bottom. And the Freighter's rudder is quite a bit broader at the bottom.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:38:41 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 01:54:18 AM »
Ooh, that's great to see that Frighter - long term I want to build one (RCAF RW), too.
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2012, 04:53:52 AM »
Nice builds on both of these.  :) :) :)

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2012, 10:07:40 PM »
My initial plan to use B-24 landing gear has gone out the window --- they turned out either too small or too short for what I had in mind.  Previously I had shown what the main gear would be, now the nose gear has been solved.

I had decided to use the 1/48 Catalina u/c leg but what wheel to use with it caused some head scratching, I knew what look I wanted but couldn't find what to use.  Then while looking for something else in the stash, I found just the right wheel -- it comes from a 1/72 Blenheim (left over from my Bolingbroke Float Plane project).  It looks just about right when set next to one of the main wheels. 

Looks like most of the puzzle has about come together now, all I've got to do is figure out the tail (I'm going to remove the turret position altogether) and I'm also pondering moving the cockpit forward.  I'm going to put in a floor as the large cargo door I plan on will be displayed open, so you can see the water tanks in the cargo area.  I might go a bit berserk and detail some of the interior that would also be visible when looking in the cargo door.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2012, 10:28:30 PM »
For the tail area I'm going to use this Shackleton fuselage end, doing some part match-up, it looks like it will blend in without too much messing around.  It will involve some careful razor sawing as the join line will have to go about 2/3rd's along the tailplane chord

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2012, 02:44:01 AM »
This pic is of the colour scheme and decals I'm going to use, I ordered them in 1/60 scale so they should fit about right.  I've actually bought two sets of this sheet, one in 1/72 scale too, because I'm going to convert my Airfix Catalina into the RW fire-bomber. I'v got one of 'Scott's Custom Resin Products' nose conversions to do it.  Scott is of Invader Hobbies out of Calgary.  The decals I'm using are from CanMilAir and Bill will do some custom printing as long as it has a Canadian bent to it.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2012, 02:59:19 AM »
I've been trying to figure out how the main u/c goes together and Greg was kind enough to scan the instructions he has of the kit which this set is a direct replacement for.

Well, I've found an error on the instruction sheet (top pic), it shows that the retraction cylinder is attached at the top of the main strut and to the bottom arm.  But it doesn't go together like that at all, the bottom of the retraction cylinder should go to the top arm.  The top arm even has the little tab included which the cylinder should attach too

I found a photo which confirms what it should be like.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 03:01:47 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2012, 03:05:15 AM »
Here's some pics of how the u/c goes together, I've temporary mounted it on a piece of card as it was easier to hold things together.  From here I'll work out the new wheel bays for the Sunderland, I will have to change the angle of the main strut as the fuselage sides are almost vertical and the gear is made to fit the rounded curve of a Catalina

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2012, 03:14:20 AM »
Another thing I've just noticed is that the top arm should be wider at the hinge/fuselage connection, than the lower arm if the photo of the real thing is to go by.  The kit parts seems to have it the other way around for some reason

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2012, 05:58:39 AM »
I was giving my Aircraft of the Fighting Powers books another read and in volume VII there's an entry for a Short Seaford.  This was a completely upgraded Sunderland and would have been designated a Sunderland IV.  It was powered by Hercules engines of 1800 hp. This falls perfectly into my scenario of Dart turbo-props of around that power rating.  It even has the dorsal fin fillet .  The civil version was called the Solent

Offline PR19_Kit

• Likes to brag about how long his...wings are.
  • Made it at last!
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2012, 07:40:05 AM »
There's a Solent in the 'Solent Sky Museum' at Southampton in UK, and it's open to walk around too!

If you look friendly enough they'll let you into the cockpit as well, It's a LONG way down from there!
Regards
Kit

--------------------------
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2012, 12:33:48 AM »
Back a few posts I mentioned that I would ponder moving the cockpit forward so it wouldn't be inline with the propellers, the Short Seaford drawing shows me what I really should do.  That's move the whole forward fuselage  a scale 3'-6" (or there abouts).  There's a very important station which seems to be a production join line and it lines up with the front spar assembly where it goes through the fuselage. This station is also the one where the beaching gear is attached to as well.  What the Seaford drawing shows is there's a space between the the windows now which were equally spaced either side of this station on the Sunderland (between the third and forth window starting from the rear most window). So what I'm going to do is add a plug into this spot and do the same as what Short did.

The Seaford had an increased planing bottom too, 6'-0" longer apparently.  It had 3"-0 added in front of the step and 3'-0" behind it. The front extention would have been included with the forward fuselage stretch, but the rear extention is not so clear cut.  It looks like just the planing surface was moved back along the rear fuselage which is a bit more complicated to do.

I've just bought a book on the Martin Mars, it's a Coulson/Ginter collaboration, and in the text the company that originally got hold of the Mars flying boats had evaluated a number of different flying boats to use as fire bombers.  The Sunderland was one of them and what is really interesting to me, is what I calculated the Sunderland could carry as a water load, was pretty much what it was worked out to by this company, 2800 gals of water.  Of course, this being a half Seaford conversion now, with much more powerful engines (in real life and my alternative) I think we could stretch that to 4000 gal I think  ;D

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2013, 09:23:53 PM »
Well, I'm in with this so I'll see where it goes from here -----

First thing to do is make up four new engine nacelles, new casting that is ---

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2013, 05:06:21 PM »
Very Kool !!!!!!
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2013, 03:35:36 AM »
I'm really glad to see this project resurrected and it sure seems a natural for this GB!

Go, kitnut, go!

Brian da Basher

Offline smeds

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2013, 10:50:02 PM »
How cool is this.

But I notice that the inboard props will be in line with the cockpit, a bit un-nerving methinks !!

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2013, 12:09:07 AM »
Thanks guys, ---

Smeds, I'm going to move the cockpit forward but I have to decide which way I'll do it pretty quick.

One way is to do what Short's did when they did the Seaford, that was to add a plug into the fuselage at the point where the beaching gear is attached.  This is also where the "front" spar attaches and I'm fairly sure it's a major assemble joint during construction.

The other way is to just move the cockpit, I've figured out that if I cut around the cockpit opening and move it forward and downwards, there's a point on the fuselage that seems to be the same width about 3/4" forward and about 3/8" lower.

Whatever way I decide, I still have a major surgery job at the rear end, which I'll probably 'build up' instead of 'cut out'

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2013, 01:18:14 AM »
I had done this to the wing a short while ago too, I found that the rear end of the alignment tab is also where the 'rear' spar is in real life so I cut out a 4 degree 'Vee' shaped slot forward of that, and then added a 'Vee' shape plug to the rear.  As the actual rear spar to fuselage connection point  is really much closer to the fuselage (under the wing root fairing), what I'll do is line up where the trailing edge contacts this fairing which in turn moves the wing leading edge slightly forward when in it's new position.  Then all I need is a couple of swipes with a spatular and putty to blend in the leading edge at the root. It seems to line up quite well if I do that.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 01:24:13 AM by kitnut617 »