Author Topic: Ki-109 +  (Read 6727 times)

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
Ki-109 +
« on: October 03, 2020, 01:31:57 AM »
Plus what, I dunno yet. I have had this ancient beast since the nineties, and by golly this time I'm going to build it.
Honestly, except for the scribed national insignia marks on the plastic, it's a pretty nice kit. I had it in High School, but sold it off when I went off to College. Not quite sure what 'advances' I'm going to add to it, but I expect to
keep it fairly simple.
DSCF0170 by VileDr.Yo
For it's time the LS kit is still a terrific presentation - I had forgotten the color inserts, and the extra clear fuselage.
(If anybody has an extra canopy for a Ki-67 or a Ki 109, let me know.  ;)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
Re: Ki-109 +
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 02:48:49 AM »
Side note on LS. They were bought by Hasegawa at some point. Also boxed as ARII and Micro Ace

The 1/72 kits that I have are of excellent quality but not all. (see above)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 03:00:35 AM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 04:07:57 AM »
FYI,,,  cockpit portion of Experimental Flying Wing Bomber is from Ki-67.  Sure you will recognize it.

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 11:12:09 PM »
 I know about a lot of 'experimental flying wing bombers' - not sure which one you mean?
 Spent the weekend digging through the odds and ends, and came up with a couple of possibilities.
 Either a pair of Jumoesque* turbojets on the outside of the radial nacelles, or two of the three ramjets
 from my old and since repurposed Huma Triebflugel. If I go with the latter, I will remove the second vertical fin
 from the clear fuselage, and move th fine on the original to give it a v-tail. Cogitatin' ensues...

*It's like Junoesque without the Diana Dors...

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 07:50:54 AM »
FYI,,,  cockpit portion of Experimental Flying Wing Bomber is from Ki-67.  Sure you will recognize it.

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=9007.0  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 11:25:07 PM »
Progress at last. I decided to go with additional pylons for the ramjets. The old girl is a mix of wows and woes...
Engraved detail a couple of decades before it was common, but with the same sort of 'gadget' features that plagued the kits of the era. ("working" landing gear, moveable flaps...) Nothing a bit of extra putty and shim can't fix. The Ramjets will be mounted at about 45 degrees to the central fin. I decide I liked the look of three fins better than two.
DSCF0221 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

The interior is actually pretty nice - it could use a little more detail ,but it is really good for the time. I just did it oob as the canopy is thick enough that most detail will be more suggestion than certainty... ;)
DSCF0223 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

I decided to build it wheels up on a stand, and discovered the stand from the sudden distraction (see below)
would be perfect. Paint will likely be green mottle over grey, but I keep thinking about an all-black scheme used on some Ki-44 interceptors...

This would have been moving along a lot sooner, but I keep getting distracted -

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 06:00:45 AM »
It's looking good! Did this LS kit come with underscaled, deformed crew and ground crew?

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 07:45:20 AM »
Heh. That's the one. Also, a spare fuselage and cowls in clear plastic, two beautiful color prints, and a fuel truck/battery compartment. (It contains instructions and parts for motorizing one of the props, but no motor.)

Offline Artoor_K

• On the run from Polish Rivet Counters...
  • Use the power of your dreams!
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 07:12:01 PM »
Great work! Sth between Neptune and Mosquito!
Sickening, weakening
Don't let another somber pariah consume your soul
You need strengthening, toughening
It takes a bit of dark to rekindle the fire burning in you
Ignite the fire within you

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 07:19:06 AM »
Mostly buttoned up and on the stand with the ramjets attached. Still need to mask the canopy and tail cone. Hope to paint this coming weekend.

DSCF0226 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

DSCF0227 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

Offline apophenia

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 07:46:37 AM »
Very cool and love your ramjet approach  :-*

Any background on those booster jets? (Not Sänger-style, so can't be the Ne-0 ...) Inquiring minds wanna know  :D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 08:15:41 AM »
Very cool and love your ramjet approach  :-*

Any background on those booster jets? (Not Sänger-style, so can't be the Ne-0 ...) Inquiring minds wanna know  :D

Pabst? design, I think. They are sourced from the old Huma Triebflugel, but would have been akin to whatever
was supposed to go in the 'Katsudori' interceptor.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 11:21:40 AM »
Ah yes, Otto Pabst  ramjets ... also on the Focke-Wulf Strahlrohrjäger (never quite sure if 'Ta 283' was a real RLM designation).

... would have been akin to whatever was supposed to go in the 'Katsudori' interceptor.

Yeah, that's what prompted my query. The powerplant for the little Katsuodori was a single Ne-0 - a typical Eugen Sänger/DFS-type design. The Katsuodori was effectively the Japanese take on the Škoda-Kauba SK P. 14-01 - but  Hidemasa Kimura's airframe design was a lot more radical for the times  :o

Anyway, love your ramjet approach and watching this build with interest  :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 12:16:23 PM »
The Huma ramjets look good. I have the Meng Katsuodori kit(s) and from their length, the engines would be about the same size, maybe slightly longer. than the Pabst Blue Ribbon engines.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 04:18:47 PM »
Ramjets are real deal to light off for combat yet retain range during cruise.  Neato  :smiley:

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2020, 07:33:23 AM »
And nearing completion, with the basic paint. A test with the original decal sheet shows that the Hinomarus should work but they will need a good warm water soaking first. I decided to go with the 'prototype/trainer orange' with black cowlings, and figured the ramjets would look good flat black as well. Should have it wrapped up on the weekend.
DSCF0233 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2020, 12:01:50 PM »
That paint job looks awesome! You can try painting some Future on the decal sheet first, just in case the decals break up.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 01:50:23 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Artoor_K

• On the run from Polish Rivet Counters...
  • Use the power of your dreams!
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 05:26:43 AM »
 :-* :smiley:
Sickening, weakening
Don't let another somber pariah consume your soul
You need strengthening, toughening
It takes a bit of dark to rekindle the fire burning in you
Ignite the fire within you

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2020, 05:33:54 AM »
Gotta say Doc.. that looks really cool. The colour sells it.
Ambivelent about the added Ramjets, for me.. maybe a wingtip mount would have sold it.
The rest is totally wicked

Offline apophenia

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2020, 08:58:14 AM »
Wow! That colour scheme is electric  :-*

No ambivalence from me about the ramjet placement (sorry buzz').  Those angled pylons are frickin' awesome!  :smiley: :smiley:

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2020, 05:08:25 AM »
 And done.

After briefly being considered for anti-shipping work, the handful of Ki-109 conversions sat idle for some eight months after the colossal earthquakes in Hawaii and the West Coast all but halted the war in the Pacific in the Autumn of 1944. Given the respite that would prolong the war into 1947, several advanced projects saw fruition, albeit in generally limited form. Among these were a further conversion of eight of the twenty-two completed Ki-109s into the Ki-109kai with the addition of a pair of Kayaba 2c ramjets mounted on the rear
fuselage. Though the rate of climb and top speed were markedly improved, the ramjets were in higher demand for Kayaba's interceptor project, and the Ohka Type 73, and no further conversions were completed.
Occasionally seen over Tokyo as the fire raids were resumed in March of 1946, They were moderately effective, but still hampered by their hand loaded cannon, they disappeared from service as their natural counter, the ramjet-equipped Mustangs, began appearing in the late Summer of '46.

Finished. Remaining completion shots will be in the completion thread. One minor disaster - the plane took a fall from the bench, snapping off the cannon, one of the ramjet mounts, and cracked the bottom forward fuselage right after painting. I glued things back together as delicately as I could, and hand brushed a little more orange over the bottom. I could not find the gun barrel, so fished an old Fujimi Pak 40 out of the spares
box, and used the barrel from that - it's probably closer to scale. The decoration on the fin is meant to
represent the 'green flash' supposedly seen just at sunset.

DSCF0239 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2020, 04:09:03 PM »
Nice one, Doc! Be a bugger for AAA gunners on ships, when used in its final role as a Kamikaze! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2020, 04:22:58 AM »
What yellow is that? Did you mix it or did you get a bottle in that color?

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2020, 08:18:14 AM »
What yellow is that? Did you mix it or did you get a bottle in that color?

Standard Tamiya Orange, X-6, Frank - The few color profiles I have seen were pretty similar in shade. I elected not to use the kit decals - while they might have been viable, they just looked off. I'm not sure where the decals I did use came from, but they worked fairly well, though they are a touch oversized.