Author Topic: RW Polikarpov I-16 Type 24 - DONE! - Pic's pg.1  (Read 3049 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
RW Polikarpov I-16 Type 24 - DONE! - Pic's pg.1
« on: September 24, 2020, 11:37:19 AM »
Hi! :D

This is a place holder for the Eduard 1/48 "Weekend Edition" Polikarpov I-16 Type 24 that is nearing completion.

Building it OoB, with only a "kitbashed" set of seatbelts added.

Paintwork may vary, as I'll be trying to custom mix Soviet style colours from what I have in the rack.

It's the first of my 1/48 Favourite Single-Engined Fighters series of builds.

Finished photo's only, I'm afraid. ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 09:15:00 AM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
Re: RW Polikarpov I-16 Type 24
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 12:39:57 AM »
OK, build delayed while I wait for a few resin parts to replace some external bits that don't quite cut it; primarily the main wheels & tail wheel unit, & the wing guns. ::)

Still, shouldn't be too much longer! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 01:59:18 PM »
Major paintwork is going on now.

Have just finished the underside blue (a custom mix of Tamiya XF-2 Flat White & Tamiya XF-8 Flat Blue in a 5:1 ratio).

Is it "perfect"? Probably not, but it looks close enough for me.

I'll probably leave it for a day or five or six (back to work tomorrow for four days before I start 2 weeks leave, by helping my No. 1 daughter pack to move to Port Lincoln, on Monday ::)) to cure properly before the next (read "only other") colour.

Then I'll try my custom mix of Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green & Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan (again in a 5:1 ratio) for the Soviet Olive Green ... actually, I might try it in a few minutes, on the engine cowling, which is separate to the rest & is all-over OG.

A few (OK, about 30) minutes later:

Did the cowling & the spinner. My conclusion is the same as for the blue ...

Is it "perfect"? Probably not, but it looks close enough for me.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 02:01:24 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 12:16:24 AM »
ЗА СТАЛИНА! СМЕРТЬ фАШИСТАМ!*

Pic's tomorrow! :thumbsup:

(*: ZA STALINA! SMERT' FASHISTAM! = FOR STALIN! DEATH TO FASCISTS!)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 09:12:57 AM »
Well, this build took longer than expected. (Oh, what a surprise! ::))

It's the Eduard 1/48 Polikarpov I-16 Type 24, one of the two kits I purchased about two weeks short of 2 years ago in Prague.

I've built it almost straight OoB; only additions are Eduard seat-belts (RAF early (steel)) scratch-bashed into something resembling Soviet seat-belts of the era, QuickBoost gun barrels & pitot tube & Aries wheels & tail-wheel assembly.
Paints are as described earlier; green = Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green & Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan (5:1 ratio), & blue = Tamiya XF-2 Flat White & Tamiya XF-8 Flat Blue (5:1 ratio).

Overall, not a bad little kit. There are a few minor issues but nothing a half-decent modeller can't overcome (my biggest gripe is that the prop shaft is too narrow & too short to get a decently solid fix).

So, without further ado, here are the pictures:

ЗА СТАЛИНА! (ZA STALINA! ... FOR STALIN!)

СМЕРТЬ фАШИСТАМ! (SMERT' FASHISTAM! ... DEATH TO FASCISTS!)

Now, just how small was this thing? ???

Here's a comparison with a Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat in the same scale:

Thanks for watching & commenting despite the lack of WiP images! :smiley:

Guy

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
Re: RW Polikarpov I-16 Type 24 - DONE! - Pic's pg.1
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 09:29:17 AM »
Nice build !    :smiley: :-* :-* :-*

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 09:31:52 AM »
Thanks, 'Mog! :icon_alabanza: :smiley:

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 09:59:42 AM »
Beautiful!!  Don't realize how small it is 'til you see it next to a same scale Hellcat.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 12:21:54 PM »
Build shows well  :smiley:   Not only panel lines etc but also conveys sense of Russians making it simple as practical to do its job.

Also did not realize how small it is 'til you see it next to a same scale Hellcat.   And over 3 feet shorter than P-26 !
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 01:21:08 AM by finsrin »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 03:09:23 PM »
Thanks, Evan & Bill! Highly appreciated! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

I already knew the plane was small but it didn't hit me just how tiny it was until I put it on the shelf in the display cabinet next to the Hellcat. :icon_surprised:

Offline Steve Blazo

• The man likes white plastic...weird.
    • flickr
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 08:02:58 PM »
Very nice.   :smiley: :smiley:
As I walk through the valley of death,
I have no fear, because I am the meanest mother*ucker in the whole valley.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 12:48:41 AM »
Thanks, Steve! :smiley: :icon_alabanza:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 02:22:05 AM »
Nice work.  I take it that is a gun camera above the rear fuselage?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 02:35:57 AM »
Great job on such a tiny plane! It's like a Bee Gee with guns.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 07:14:23 AM »
Thank you, gents! :smiley: :smiley:

Greg: I think it's the radio aerial, as some I-16s were fitted with them but I've not seen any photo's where I could make out any aerial wires. However, in truth, I have no idea.

There is some discussion that this plane is actually that of Alexander Kovalenko, not Boris Safanov, as stated by Eduard, but with which he was photographed for propaganda purposes (see above) & about the actual inscriptions on the aircraft.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2020, 07:16:12 AM »
Neat as a pin.

Very nice work

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
Very Nice...
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2020, 08:16:55 AM »
...For sure built one 1964/5-vintage Revell 1/72 I-16 during 1980s, might had built one when originally released as well but can't remember, nice kit though dated compared to later new tools.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 08:20:34 AM »
Beautiful work ... and on such a teensy subject  :-*

I take it that is a gun camera above the rear fuselage?

It is indeed a gun camera - an option introduced on the Type 24 but retrofitted to earlier types. AFAIK, all Type 24s (and Type 29s) were delivered with the mounting plate (if not the camera itself). I'm not certain but the film camera involved was probably the GOMZ Fotokinopulemet SLP (ГОМЗ Фотокинопулемет СЛП): http://www.photohistory.ru/1267467682901893.html

That antenna was probably the RSI-3 (Радиостанция для истребителя-3) but that was mounted on the fin tip.
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2020, 10:22:37 AM »
Thank you all very much, gentlemen! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

apophenia: Thanks for that info! :smiley:

Offline uncle les

• Aussie Whiffer Extraordinaire!
  • The man behind the models of the same name...
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2020, 03:30:04 PM »
I rather like that, nice and crisp.  I too have no idea what that object rear of the cockpit is but I'm now determined to find out.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2020, 06:33:35 PM »
Thanks, Les! :smiley:

It's the first of my "My Favourite Single Engine Fighters of WW2" series (I-16, Spitfire, P-51 Mustang, Hurricane, CA-12 Boomerang, P-47 Thunderbolt, P-40 Kitty/Warhawk, Fw. 190), so doesn't need to be dirtied up (nor perfectly accurate).