Author Topic: P-51 Mustang and Derivates Ideas and Inspiration  (Read 141617 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: P-51 Mustang and Derivates Ideas and Inspiration
« Reply #150 on: August 17, 2014, 11:43:59 PM »
Started with the P-82B conversion, now to make a mould and do some castings as I've got some other plans for the nose. I will then change this blue nose to do two other versions, P-82C & D and then an E.  The C & D had exhaust stubs like the Allison nose and the E had a twelve stub exhaust system down each side.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 11:52:49 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #151 on: August 19, 2014, 01:34:27 AM »
Here's a Norm Avery drawing that shows the fuselage changes from D to H.

- from North American Aircraft 1934 - 1998, Vol. 1, Norm Avery, Narkiewicz//Thompson 1998

Norm started at NAA in the '40s as a drafter, he later became a design engineer and retired from
aerospace in the early '80s, and was directly involved with the P-51H and P-82, amongst other
designs.

The H wing came from the XP-51F and it was a new design with a thinner airfoil, the use of
smaller diameter wheels enabled the elimination of the expanded wing root. The F and G led
to the H. A 5-blade Rotol was tested on the G, but it was found to be less efficient than the 3-blade
Aeroproducts also tested. With the Aeroproducts prop the XP-51Gs attained 498mph, making
them the fastest of all Mustangs. The J model used an Allison V-1710-119 but it never attained
the desired performance.

For the P-82 the wing chord was increased from 104 to 112 inches at the root, and from 50
to 65 inches at the tip.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #152 on: August 19, 2014, 02:23:37 AM »
Working on a Griffon nose for the F-82, it has a higher thrust-line so the top of the nose is more horizontal, but allows for a bigger diameter prop.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:25:17 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #153 on: September 14, 2014, 08:34:39 AM »
Funny, I was always led to believe that the F-82 was made from 2 stretched P-51H's.

Very cool thread guys, love the Navy and the racing 'Stangs.

Has anyone thought of one of the racing 'Stangs modded into a combat aircraft with AIM-9s etc?
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #154 on: September 14, 2014, 09:18:00 AM »
Well there was this one:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #155 on: September 14, 2014, 11:30:58 AM »
Suuuuuuuper cool  8)

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #156 on: September 14, 2014, 06:52:42 PM »
OMG!!! As Finsrin said, Suuuuuuppper cooool!!!!! 8) 8) 8)

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #157 on: September 14, 2014, 11:08:01 PM »
Funny, I was always led to believe that the F-82 was made from 2 stretched P-51H's.

That's what I've said in my posts further up, of note though is the position of the wings on both of them. The P-51H was moved 13" further back when compared to a P-51D, and then the F-82 wing (even though it has a broader chord) was moved another 12-13" further back (measurements taken from the engine bulkhead to the leading edge of the wings)

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #158 on: September 15, 2014, 02:42:49 PM »
Thanks for that Kitnut617!!! 8) 8) :D

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #159 on: September 15, 2014, 09:33:49 PM »
I've always had a plan to build a model of the XP-51F, G & J. The holdup has been adequate photos of the subjects plus trying to source a canopy to use without going to the extreme of scratch building one.  But recently, I've come across items that helps solve both problems. 

While re-visiting my 'Complete Book of Fighters' (Green/Swanborough) I discovered there are some photos of all three XP's which show quite clearly what they looked like in profile, and then I discovered that a canopy from an FJ-1 is very close to what I could use.

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #160 on: January 01, 2015, 03:55:28 PM »
Hi all,
I doubt there's an Official Answer, but do any of you have any idea as to what the in-service name for a Piper Enforcer would've been? Or would they have stuck with Enforcer?
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #161 on: January 01, 2015, 04:03:47 PM »
As far as I am aware, it would have just been Enforcer.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #162 on: January 15, 2015, 03:02:40 AM »
While I was making a mould for my GB build I found I had mixed up a bit too much so I quickly put another mould box together to use the excess and made these noses for a P-82B

Offline Nexus1171

• SC
  • I go by many names...you may know one...
« Reply #163 on: January 20, 2015, 11:43:44 AM »
GTX Admin

Radial Engined derivatives:

What kind of engine was intended for this design?

How about a P-51 with the Allison V-1710 and turbosupercharger from the P-38.
Where would you place the turbocharger?

What if instead of going to the Merlin, they simply added the turbosupercharger from the P-38 to provide the higher altitude performance sought?
It would produce a higher critical altitude, though depending on where the turbocharger was placed, it could lead either to excess bulk or a reduction in fuel capacity. 

The British did actually analyze the idea of developing a RR Merlin with an integral turbocharger (which eliminates volume constraints), but they ultimately decided (if I recall), that the supercharger would be better
  • The turbocharger would use a twin-staged arrangement with an intercooler: This variant would produce a higher critical altitude, probably a more linear increase in the turbochargers RPM with altitude, and only small losses of horsepower to drive the charger due to backpressure; regardless, thrust falls off at higher altitudes due to the speed of sound dropping at higher altitudes and the rotational velocity of the blades producing a loss of efficiency across the tips.
  • The supercharger version as developed would be twin-staged, twin-speed, with an intercooler, aftercooler, and casing cooling as well: Though the supercharger would have a less linear increase in performance compared to a turbocharger, one could easily clutch to high speed at the critical altitude for the lower-speed setting and depending on the throttle position you'd maintain full pressure as you go; while some horsepower would be lost to drive the supercharger, the extra cooling would add more horsepower that the turbocharger design did not have, and no back-pressure would be present.  All of these would come close to, or possibly offset the losses.
  • Since superchargers do not tap off exhaust gases, those end up shooting out the pipes: With the pipes shaped properly, this can produce a thrusting effect; with manifold pressure kept at the max right on up into the high 20,000 foot range, the thrust increases as the air-pressure outside gets lower.  Since the propellers are losing thrust at higher speed, this would recover some back.
If I recall, they ultimately felt the extra-cooling, and thrusting effect would offset the effects of the turbocharger with the exception of lower speeds at higher altitudes.

kitnut617

I really like the Mustang FTB derivatives

elmayerle

Frankly, a redesigned Allison with a two-stage supercharger similar to the Merlin's would be a simpler solution and allows some interesting alternatives.
Turns out they proposed exactly such a thing: I don't know why the USAAC rejected it

raafif

the Corstang ....
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal8/7001-7100/gal7073-Corstang-Miller/00.shtm

That is just genius, I've contacted the guy who created it: I'm asking some questions as I'd love to get a line-drawing of that made some-day.

Tophe

After the F-52, the F-52F turned back to single engine, like a "normal" Mustang...
 Thanks Raafif
It's unorthodox, but it's absolutely fantastic.

Jeffry Fontaine

Found this at the Fine Scale Modeler forums (click on image or html to view article):

F-82R (R for racer) Twin Mustang built by Howard Markel

(Image source: Howard Markel via Fine Scale Modeler)
Looks like it'd be fun to race around, and considering the design has no second canopy, I could imagine that it not only could fly faster; one could stuff a lot of fuel in there...

BTW: This is a batch reply (I haven't been on this site very often, and saw some very interesting ideas and responded to them, as well as provided what I assume to be constructive critique)

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2015, 06:33:52 PM »
Super F-82 racer!! 8) 8)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #165 on: January 26, 2015, 05:21:01 AM »
Something different…and maybe inspiration for an upcoming GB ;):  F-82 Twin Mustang armed with four Firebird AAMs

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #166 on: January 26, 2015, 06:33:58 AM »
Wow GTX ! 8) 8)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #167 on: January 26, 2015, 10:59:37 AM »
How about a P/F-51D night fighter with wing mounted radar ( as seen on Hellcats or perhaps Fireflies with a pod on each wing)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #168 on: January 26, 2015, 11:49:09 AM »
How about a P/F-51D night fighter with wing mounted radar ( as seen on Hellcats or perhaps Fireflies with a pod on each wing)
or something similar for a two-seat P-51B conversion (why, yes, I've got the bits and pieces for that one in 1/72 and, with a bit more scratchbuilding, in 1/48).  You want something different, the book Debden Eagles has a picture of a two-seat P-51D, with a split rear canopy and almost German-style antennae (think Fw190A8/R11) on the righthand wing.

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #169 on: February 17, 2015, 03:52:08 AM »
Did anyone mention using the longer F-82 fuselage to make a "conventional" single engined fighter? Maybe put a Griffon on it, instead of one of the small engines?

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #170 on: February 17, 2015, 04:57:25 AM »
Did anyone mention using the longer F-82 fuselage to make a "conventional" single engined fighter? Maybe put a Griffon on it, instead of one of the small engines?

Have a look at reply #153, port side has a Griffon engine/cowling from a Firefly Mk.IV/V.  It basically just drops in to the Allison engined F-82 shape

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2015, 02:21:26 AM »

Did this profile a couple of years ago:

Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #172 on: February 18, 2015, 02:56:55 AM »
 :)

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #173 on: February 18, 2015, 03:05:40 AM »

Did this profile a couple of years ago:
Oh YEAH!

That is close to what I was thinking - and you found a role for it too. Makes (enough) sense to me.
Anybody crazy enough to use the fuselage mounted landing gear and only put outriggers on the wings?  ;D

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #174 on: February 18, 2015, 03:36:24 AM »
An idea I have toyed with over the years was to take the inside fuselage halves of the ModelCraft 1:48th scale F-82 and join them together as a single fuselage and then mate that assembled fuselage to the wing of an A-10.  The wrinkle in that idea is that an A-10 wing in 1:48th scale is a bit too large but the 1:72nd scale wing from the Monogram A-10 might work.  Filling in the void created where the radiator scoop was located and you have yourself a tail-dragger with a very different look.  If you can somehow make a nose gear well to fit inside the engine cowling you could convert it to a tricycle gear arrangement but with that conversion the main landing gear would have to be moved back a bit to correct the center of balance/center of gravity issues that come with that change.

Using the inside fuselage halves of the F-82 gives you the slots for your horizontal stabilizers otherwise you have to cut new holes in each of the outside fuselage halves. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg